Payton Turner - 1st round pick by New Orleans Saints

I’m a saints fan for decades past so this help. I hope I see him in the line up soon.

Its funny we still have a reputation as an offensive school but our NFL guys are mostly D

7 Likes

16 year gap between Hayden and Smith

What do you know…Coach Dinofrio can accurately state that he coached two first round DE draft picks in Oliver and Turner during his stint in Houston.

2 Likes

Well that should get him bumped to junior high head coach from his YMCA gig

3 Likes

As I recall, Turner had knee surgery in high school and that probably cooled off his recruitment. Also, NFL medical report wasn’t released until very recently, like maybe just a few days ago. That report said he was good to go so I think the Saints felt better about taking him first instead of hoping he was around for their second pick.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1388241773965844486?s=19

4 Likes

And he had both out of position according the NFL.

2 Likes

What i am seeing, no one is questioning Turner they just think the Saints had more pressing needs. HC Payton addressed this by saying the talent Turner has was too much to pass up.

You bring up a huge point Chris. Recruiting is also about marketing. We have got to do a better job. I believe that Mr. Turner is the tip of the iceberg.

Wow! He didn’t have a good showing at the combine, at least it’s what I thought. By the way Coach Rhule was picking on him and screaming at him I thought his draft stock fell. I thought he might end up being a 5th rounder or maybe even a 6th rounder after the combine when initially I had him going around the 3rd or maybe the 4th. But wow! So happy for him! Go Coogs!

Rhule knew Turner could do better than what he was showing that day.

https://twitter.com/jared_gogets/status/1387992102718554112?s=03

14 Likes

I believe Alabama had 6 kids go in the first round and could be there own P5 conference. Pretty crazy! Kind of the like some of the great Miami Hurricane teams.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2022-NFL-Draft-replacing-first-round-picks-college-football-Alabama-Florida-Clemson-Ohio-State-165077056/

Scroll down to the bottom of the article and it mentions how we might replace Peyton. It speaks highly of Derek and.

The comments about Parish sound promising for his pro opportunities.

HOUSTON COUGARS

Payton Turner, DE (No. 28, Saints)
The Replacement : Derek Parish

The Cougars were probably hoping Missouri transfer Tre Williams would take this spot. Instead, he’s headed to Arkansas. Thus, let’s spotlight a returning senior: Parish. Few players are more versatile nationally than Parish, who played defensive end, linebacker and fullback last season. But he proved most effective off the EDGE, where he created 26 pressures in just 363 snaps, per PFF College. If Parish ends up playing linebacker next season, which is possible, fellow senior David Anenih or redshirt junior D’Anthony Jones are decent bets to man the defensive roles.

1 Like

This is a nice compliment, it will make him work even harder.

2 Likes

Linebacker? Is that a chance?

I know the pros value versatility, and Derick has shown plenty of that – and heart.

2 Likes

He was recruited as a LB. he was moved to DE when there so many injuries his Sophomore year under Donofrio