Penny going to Orlando?

Wonder if Penny used the Magic interview to get the Memphis administration to cave on Larry.

6 Likes

For what its worth this was predicted on the Memphis board. Some posters had theorized Penny was only using the Magic job as leverage to get Brown hired.

Probably

Oh man if Brown still has it Memphis could be really, really salty. On probation in 3 years but it’ll be quite the the years for them.

2 Likes

Definitely will be on probation in 3 years.

4 Likes

For all the excitement he brought the SMU program and all their bandwagon fans that joined where did it get them? They haven’t been anywhere! And it hurts him in a long

Their first conference championship and tournament appearance in 22 years. Set the stage for Jank to add another in each category with Brown’s players, but then he wasn’t able to keep the momentum and recruiting.

1 Like

Plus packed houses for each home game,let’s face it if we fall to mediocrity many of our fans will fall off the bandwagon…book it…

1 Like

You do like to remind people of that but bottom line is we are in great shape NOW. We can deal with later when that times comes. The only way to build support is over a sustained period of time like we are doing.

That’s why I said bandwagon fans for SMU. It became the sexy thing to do until it wasn’t. They essentially sold their sole to a known crook for some immediate kick back that lasted a very short time.

1 Like

Something about glass houses and throwing stones something, something

1 Like

Larry brown will be 81 this Spwtember. He last really coached in 2016, 5 years ago, except for his failed and short tenure as the HC of an Italian pro basketball team. He was fired half way into his first season at 5-19.

Memphis already has the #1 Defense. If he can improve the offense just a little then they will see stellar results.

No one already has anything. A couple years ago we had a number of defensive studs and it took some time for us to gel. Every team is different. I expect us to be really good based on culture. Memphis loses their center and PG who were a big part of that, so again, it is a big assumption to think they will be up at or near that level.

Their PG was trash. Their Center had no offensive game at all. Both will be easily replaced.

Memphis.
13-14 was their last NCAA trip? Surprising/ very disappointing considering the amount of talent through there since then.

Larry Brown at this point is a big deal at 80 years old and leaving SMU in disgrace?

L Brown has NEVER left any place in disgrace. He relishes breaking rules in college as he has no ethics. !

He is a good BB coach though.

He left because they wouldn’t offer him a lifetime contract. He absolutely cuts corners with recruiting and needs to be kept on a short leash but he’s an all-time great coach. The addition is good for Memphis, the league, and by extension, us.

4 Likes

Their center was very good on the defensive side which is what I was referring to.

I also stated that I was not a fan of Boogie Ellis but the last half of the season the light bulb came on and he started to play much better and under control. His improvement played a role in their resurgence. Point is that it didn’t happen overnight so I will wait and see how their additions fare.

Gotcha. Yah if we’re specifically talking defense I think its reasonable to say they’ll take a step back but in fairness they’ve been a top 5 defense the last two years. Losing Cisses rim protection hurts but they still have tremendous length. If they can get the Williams kid to stay out of foul trouble he could be DPOY. Q and Nolley are plus defenders as well.

???

At SMU Brown was caught trying to hide academic fraud then was caught lying about knowing about it.

Brown got banned from coaching for @1/3 of SMUs games in 2015-16, got SMU banned from the 2016 postseason, & cost them 9 scholarships over 3 years.

Maybe they let him use that as an excuse but what a pipe dream Brown would EVER get a lifetime deal after putting SMU Hoop in that tough spot?

I guess we have different views on what is good for UH by extension.

1 Like