Places you miss from Houston past

Add the original Cactus Store. The Daily’s were good Coogs and really supported the Houston music scene. The current Cactus is good, but miss the vibe of the original.

1 Like

Miss that thin chicken fried steak and strong iced tea myself

2 Likes

I don’t think the meat quality went up. I know Luthers generally cut everything fresh. It seemed like Pappas (at least at the time) had more precut and served cafeteria style.

Also I could go for a Luther’s onion ring loaf.

1 Like

I just got those on Channel 39. Lol

Chets chicken shack Nasa Rd 1

Hofbraugarten in Dickinson.

Meyer speedway and the McClendon Triple

River Cafe on Montrose. Peppermint park. New New York pizza.

1 Like

You’re SW Houston. Bet you attended game at Butler stadium.

2 Likes

Cafe Noche on Montrose

Loma Linda restaurant in Palm Center

1 Like

The Black Lab.

2 Likes

Trader Vics at the Shamrock

2 Likes

Crappittos on Mid Lane. It was my favorite restaurant in Houston. It closed when the place was bought out to make a shopping center. The owner was about retirement age and didn’t want to start over.

3 Likes

I used to order the “Suffering Basterd” drink at Trader Vics, not because it was that good, I just liked the name.

Daddy Boots, just a little dive across the street from Chili’s at Richmond and Fountainview.

I don’t remember a Chili’s at that location.

Back in the early 70’s, that corner was home of the first Chili’s in Houston on the NE corner. On the NW corner of the intersection was a bar called The Park. Just north of that was the very first Luther’s as well.

1 Like

Was one of the first locations. Loved going there.

That was the original Chili’s. Don Smith, a HRM professor, called Chili’s “a restaurant of the future”. Boy was he right. He said that in 1976.