Playoff expansion in the works?

I would add a couple of tweaks.

All P5 champions qualify. To qualify for an at large, you have to have lost your conference championship game. Top G5 champion is guaranteed, regardless. Should a 2nd G5 end up in the top 12, they get a slot.

Now, the one thing the proposals being thrown out don’t address is Notre Dame. Are the Golden Domers losing some of their clout? Maybe they count against the ACC.

Those of us old enough to remember, enjoyed watching huge inter-sectional games. UT-OU used to be one. With conference champions only being included, I’m hoping this makes a conference championship the goal. Then losing a non-conference game isn’t so devastating and we can see more entertaining matchups rather than the November SEC - Little Sisters of the Poor games…

1 Like

That would be the best case G5 scenario and may happen once. Suppose it took place this year, and a No 17 Memphis got in, the P5 would be in meltdown! I’d wager $1,000 and give you 2-1 odds that the rules would be changed immediately to ensure this never happens again!

Don’t think we’ll ever see approval of any scenario which would put 2 G5’s in the playoffs no matter how highly ranked they are.

If P5 Champs get auto bids, what’s stopping them from scheduling 3 FCS teams?

Everyone can follow the Baylor method of not scheduling quality out of conference games.

1 Like

I HAVE ALSO STATED THAT …

the KEY to getting INTO the playoffs with the auto fill … is to get INTO THE WEAKER auto fill conf. NOT the strongest …

SO THAT who would have thought that the G5s could well become the conferences of the future NOT the SEC or Big10 where it is two Snow White’s and the 11 or 15 dwarfs every playoff season …

Looking at the lower football divisions it was not difficult to spot … parity became the NORM between the different conferences going down to even the lowest division …

1 Like

Mods - I think we have SOME glitch that Random caps every third or fourth word - can we look into?

2 Likes

When he types in UPPERCASE, he’s yelling at a cloud.

2 Likes

The so called espn pundits already stated two yes two seasons ago that a g5 School does not belong in an eight Teams cfp. Why do you think they came out swinging with that statement?
You are 100% correct. This is a scam. The cfp was and is designed so the p5’s collect the most money at the detriment of the g5’s.
Can some of you stop thinking this is about sport?
The g5’s commishs signed the NYE bowl with the mafia right next to them.
This is aresco meeting his boss.

1 Like

Another view: Approval of an 8-team playoff system will accelerate the formation of 4, 16-team super conferences comprised primarily of the current P5 schools. Each division winner will receive automatic bids to the big dance, with conference championships determining the seeding. Crumbs for the rest.

Well that is the good thing about this board … opinions are like patooties … everyone has one …

Some believe Don Corlione is running the playoffs and the whole business is a scam …

Others that we are going to 4 16 super conferences …

BEEN THERE … HEARD THAT … zzzz … (sorry for those who don’t like my uppercases … the bold figure/different text color is NOT AVAILABLE else I would use it to HIGHLIGHT a point) …

NO ONE with some imagination and new innovation … just the same ole used gum from the bottom of the bleachers …:innocent: :wink:

3 Likes

Close, but more like when the Godfather went with Luca Brasi to meet the band leader. One of two things would be on the contract: his signature or his brains. Made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

it should be 12 teams. All ten Conferences and two at large. Top four seeds get a first round bye.

3 Likes

Who chooses the top four seeds?

10 conference champs. Top 6 seeds get a bye while bottom 4 seeds play off for last two of 8 spots and continue. Its 4 weeks total. You could break after conference championship weekend for Army-Navy, Then start the week after with last 4 and some bowls, continue and the national championship would be the same weekend it is now.

It would be similar to the NCAA Basketball tournament. Use something like NET and then committee can tweak it if there is an obvious team whose schedule gamed the system, AKA Baylor if they had won the Big 12. This keeps OOC games important because they will help with seeding.

Oh yeah the P5 will really support this! While we’re at it also require that all 10 conferences get equal media revenue too.

1 Like

I agree. While our individual opinions are virtually worthless, the five P5 champs and the highest rated non P-5 along with 2 others (at large) would be fine, and just about the best that we could expect.

Getting the popularity polls out of it would be absolutely essential for any real sense of fairness.

3 Likes

TV ratings !

1 Like

They’ll have two at-large spots for those judgement calls

1 Like

It’s all fine and dandy but you’re going to have to cut back the regular season to 10 or 11 games tops. You can’t pile a bunch of extra work on these kids as they’re not pros, they still have to go to class and maintain their academics.

2 Likes

Texas and ND??!

1 Like