Playoff expansion in the works?

Okay! They are not kids. They are young men that can do whatever they want without permission from parents.

Not the education speech. Tell that argument to FCS, D2, D3 who all are having playoffs through December. Tell that to college basketball who travel and play games during the weekday. Are they all flunking out of college because of it? No and neither will FBS.

4 Likes

Notice the “Should” that starts my whole sentence. I didn’t say P5 wanted to have it be that way. It is however the way it should be. Until it is that way it isn’t an FBS National Championship.

2 Likes

I like the idea of a 6 team playoff versus the 8. 5 for each major conference, 1 at large. The at large goes to the G5 conference winner (if within the top 10/15) if not goes to an at large. 1 and 2 seeded teams get a first round bye week. I believe the 1 & 2 seeds should get a reward for being there. I don’t have a problem with 8, but think 6 is more appealing than 8 to P5. Yes you have more room for “bias” versus the G5, but the window is there. I think top 10 is very achievable for a G5 program.

1 Like

AAC had four ranked teams at the same time this year and the highest was at 17… no to that idea.

2 Likes

Yes the highest was 17, but I think LSU, OSU, and Clemson are a lot more talented than any G5 team this year. I think OU is probably the only school Memphis could have beat. The 17/18 UCF team in my opinion was alot more talented than any AAC team this year.

The only true playoff scenario would be all 10 Conference Champions and 6 at large teams but they’d argue too may games and too many G5s. 8 taking 5 Conference Champions with 3 at large (one of which being the highest ranked G5) would be acceptable. All the garbage about not wanting a team with 3 or 4 losses in is bunk, a true playoff format takes the conference champion regardless the record. All their talk about “eye test” and “resume” is canned speech. It works in every other division of football and works in the Basketball Tournament and nobody complains when Butler or Sam Houston St get in. They need to stop selling BS

1 Like

The G5 representative should be held to the same standard as the P5 conference champions regarding ranking, even if nominally.

“The top six ranked conference champions as long as they are ranked above [X], plus two at-large”

It would achieve the same outcome, I think, provided that they made the value of X high enough. If the G5 rep is the only one with the X requirement, then they’ll make the value of X too low. (IMO the value of X should be 16 with a fair ranking system, which the CFP committee was not.)

1 Like

I assume I am in the minority, but I just don’t think a 17 ranked Memphis this year is a team worthy to be in the playoff discussion. I think there is a big difference in the FBS and FCS football talent levels. I do believe an underdog can upset the giant in the playoffs, and the current system is not “fair”. But P5 and G5 have a gap, and it should be recognized.

1 Like

I can agree with this and think it is a good middle of the road. It’s why I think a 6 team system works.

Who would have guessed your’s is the only opinion with merit…

2 Likes

A primary reason for the so-called “gap” is because the current G5’s do not have a chance at making the playoffs in the current system. There is no question that with 8 playoff teams, an automatic spot should be reserved for the highest ranked G5 conference champion - period. To be fair and ultimately to become more equitable, it really shouldn’t matter whether the highest ranked G5 champion is ranked #10 or #20 or not ranked at all.

1 Like

Yes there is a gap. The P5-G5 gap was created by the unfairness of the BCS and CFP. Supporting a system that accepts the gap, essentially indicates support of the mechanisms that created it.

4 Likes

Memphis should have had a better ranking than they artificially received. They were better than a #17 ranking. Hopefully, the CFP committee will see that it’s in their best interest to promote the top ranked G5 schools with fairer rankings in order to sell the playoffs to the masses resulting in more intriguing matches. It’s another matter if the top ranked G5 staggers across the finish line with 2 or more losses.

1 Like

Memphis is gonna get killed.

18-19 year old student athletes are still kids. Baseball travels more than any of them but D2/D3, basketball, baseball etc are no where even in the same stratosphere as D1 football. The only people that benefit from more games are those cashing the checks from it…not the players. Just cut out a garbage game or two…simple solution.

This is going to be as good as a solution as you can get under the current model. Until we move to a better conference, we need to hope this goes through.

3 Likes

The B1G and PAC might consider it, Big 12, SEC and ACC think 4 works…guess what, they wont change their votes…this is much ado about nothing…Playoffs are NOT going to change…focus on improving and getting into P5 land in 2022 or 2023 when some of those P5 GORs are close to expiring…

4 Likes

The Big 12 almost got skipped this year for an Alabama team with what would have been a single quality win. Clemson is also pretty vulnerable with a single loss.

I doubt there is the will to change mid-stream, but there is a good chance that there will be some changes when it’s time to re-up. The current system benefits one conference (maybe two) and leaves the rest scrambling. They were dumb to agree to it.

The g5 won’t be factor in any expanded playoffs…just an afterthought to avoid a lawsuit.

1 Like

The G5 rep will be taken seriously if they are competitive and will not if they are not. And if they are not, then we more or less deserve to be an afterthought. The G5 teams rose to the occasion of the BCS and NY6 bowl games, and hopefully will the playoff as well.

(It’ll be tough since we would almost always be seeded against #1.)