Playoff expansion in the works?

I would agree if it was a fair thing and even, but one G5 vs 7 P5…isn’t right and isn’t a good judge if the G5 is bad or good.

It’s not so much whether the “G5” is good or bad, but whether the champions of the G5 deserve consideration for the national championship. If they always lose the first round, then they probably deserve to be an afterthought.

1 Like

Fin it’s 8, then the two at large should be playing the #1 and # 2 seeds. Seeds 1-6 should always be conference champs.

1 Like

That would be my preference, though I would be surprised if that’s what they chose to do.

(Sort of like my belief it should be “Top six conference champions” instead of “These five plus one other” even though in that case the outcome would almost certainly be the same 19 seasons out of 20. But they’re going to want to make clear which conferences are privileged over which.)

My point is not whether they’ll be successful or not, just that they won’t factor into the design of the playoff until the last minute…when someone brings the item up.

So if there is only one spot for a g5 then we just joined an 80-team conference.

That beats the he!! out of where we are right now - which is virtually non-existant.

If you believe methadone is better than heroin.

There has been “noise” to an expanded cfp scam since the P5’s/espn started this scam.
I keep reading “if they deserve it…blah, blah, blah and blah blah”
Really?
FBS Div I is it. We either play FBS Div I or not? We do. G5’s do, P5’s do. So by definition they play at the same level. End of the story for a so called cfp.
What is the matter with some of you?
Thinking, projecting, arguing, forecasting is solely an opinion.
Reality by definition is reality. The cfp is excluding g5 on the premise of an opinion.
That is why it is a scam.
The cfp is a dictatorship.They impose their will on all of the g5’s conference winners.
How many other ncaa sport rely on an opinion to get selected for a playoff system?
None.
So keep making your point that g5’s do not deserve to be part of the cfp.
Your sole reasoning will be responsible for the demise of College Football.
This was, has been and always will be about a few individuals controlling the money and the power associated with it.

3 Likes

What?

2 Likes

“…Same as it ever was…Same as it ever was…”

3 Likes

I would throw it back in their faces - there are more of us than them and if we all came together things could happen. Let all conf champions get a bid and the rest at large. If you complain about conference strength then leave and join another that’s lesser.

Too many G5 ADs are scared to talk about this reality for fear of not moving up the ladder.

2 Likes

Aren’t there more P5 teams than G5 teams?

1 Like

I believe it’s about 65 and 65 but it doesn’t matter because P5s can create their own division in the NCAA or even create their own college association.

It’s all about money and the P5s want to keep it all to themselves. G5s have to play nice or go down to the FCS level.

No G5 school or conference is going to file a law suit since most G5 schools think they will be invited to a P5 if conference expansion starts.

2 Likes

nope, 130 D1 teams. 65 P5 and 65 G5. 66 P5 and 64 G5 if you include BYU in the P5

1 Like

I believe you are correct on the lawsuit part. This has been the “fear factor” imposed by the bcs and cfp cartel since day one. Just think if we get snubbed again. Mr. Fertitta has the will and funds to take them to court or join a class action lawsuit.
Regarding the g5’s to the FCS. It will never happen. That alone will start a lawsuit.

2 Likes

The gap was created by media companies who chose to pay more for the P5 media rights.

1 Like