Playoff expansion more likely than realignment

I would agree that the future of College Football is the playoff. Ten years ago, you could have said the future of college football is conference networks. Networks will continue to play a role in the way conferences conduct themselves. But access to the playoff will be a much bigger consideration over the next several years than most other topics. Access to an expanded playoff is the reason why I’m not so sure the Big 12 will disband when their grant of rights expires.

2 Likes

Exactly! OU and UT will probably make an 8 team playoff every year so why make it harder on yourself going to a more competitive conference?

2 Likes

The “Playoffs” will Never expand to G5, even if 20 teams get in. BTW, the more teams that get in also take away from what G5 top final ranking can be. Used to be a non AQ team could finish as high as 3…now maybe 5…if it becomes a playoff of 8, then 9 would be the highest…and they will make it hard for a G5 to ever be ranked 9…and so on!

1 Like

Anyone who thinks the B1G or the PAC is going to sit and do NOTHING when their GORs expire in 2023/2024 hasnt been paying attention…

5 Likes

Sounds to like this “unnamed AD” is from a bottom feeder big 12 school.

1 Like

Ive said ad nauseam on other threads that the Big 12 falling apart, while possible, is far from a certainty.

Just increase it to eight and make it the five P5 conference champs and the top three ranked G5s/indy.

Exactly Aldine…especially the Pac12, which is getting murdered in the current configuration…

1 Like

G5 will never be apart of the Playoff, period. We had a slim chance in the BCS era (AQ/nonAQ era), of course before that…but the carrot will continue to dangle over head.

1 Like

If they go to 8, it’ll be hard to exclude a G5 representative. Last time they did that, when the BCS stated, Congress started to get involved. I would imagine there would be problems again if they tried to do without a G5 rep.

4 Likes

The almighty b12 better hope it expands in a big way…not very impressive record vs top 25.

https://twitter.com/clowespn/status/1151491972005339136?s=21

4 Likes

How will expanding in a big way (whatever that means) improve their record vs top 25?

The only way they would ever get two teams in with their current top 25 record…unlike the SEC or B10. There are usually several b12 overrated (t25) teams to start the season to give the top two a chance to load up with a favorable early conference schedule.

The “big way” is confusing as written. It was meant to signify high hopes for any expansion, not a “big” expansion.

As long as they get 1 team in the CFP regularly, they’ll only expand if doing so adds some serious $ to their media payouts.

I wish I could agree Patrick but just last November the espn pundits and many others made it a point that even an undefeated G5 does not belong into an eight Teams cfp. They went further hamering the point that a two losses SEC Team should be in vs a G5. The cartel more than likely will expand the cfp. They will extend it to make more money for themselves.
In case this happens we will be at a cross road. Would the cartel risk it? The formation of a so called super league is already here. It is called the P5’s. Horen Hatch protected his own. Who in congress will come to our rescue? So far we can only hear crickets. I like the sound of crickets but I much prefer the sound of our Team playing in a P5. Buying our way in might be the best possible outcome. Who needs investors? Yes it could be pointing West.

2 Likes

IMO major expansion comes down to 3 things in order of how big the shakeup would be:

1. What OU and Texas decide to do. If they bolt it will be silly season chaos once again.

2. If the B10 decides to get even bigger. If UT/OU don’t work for whatever reason I think they go for coastal ACC schools. Again if they want to expand. There is also a chance that B10 takes two ACC schools and ACC chooses not to replace, they’re already pretty big. B10 has a blank check if they want to expand and get more money they will expand and get more money.

3. PAC decides they need to expand because of their money/TV/time zone issues.

I think 3 is inevitable unless USC becomes a juggernaut again like tomorrow. The PAC is drowning compared to other P5s. The other 2 not sure.

1 Like

There was some noise from some of the Florida congressmen in regards to UCF…Marco Rubio was vocal about it. Possible they’d get involved if the playoff went to 8 and still no G5 rep.

I could see the P5 going ahead and throwing the G5 rep a spot…especially if it meant they no longer had access to the Bowl Game like they do now.

2 Likes

Nobody is leaving the ACC. All the ACC schools signed over their GoR into the mid 2030’s as part of their agreement with ESPN to launch the ACC network.

4 Likes

Good point, but the GoR has yet to be challenged in court. The B10 and SEC are the only conferences with blank checks. If the B10 wants 2 ACC Coastal schools they will get them and they will get more money for them. The networks fight tooth and nail for the SEC and B10 it’s their world the other conferences are just living in it. This is from a monetary/network/blue blood perspective not necessarily on the field.

1 Like

We have to wait and see but remember. The point of creating the cfp was to make sure the cartel could control the lottery numbers, the combination to the safe and the password to the ATM.
UCF imo is very likely to end up in the small 12. It will give the small12 a getway in the Florida market. This is where we shall position ourselves to get an offer to the ACC ASAP. Surely we have thought about it already.

3 Likes