Please put Allen in

If King is a legitimate '18 QB candidate, then why didn’t King replace Postma in the 4th quarter (or maybe even the 3rd) of the Tulsa game? It seemed like a similar situation when Postma replaced Allen against Texas Tech.

Is King a better WR than QB? Was it Postma that was really pushing Allen for the starter role before the season? Maybe CMA will pull another surprise when he starts King on Thursday night. I will say this offense does keep me guessing.

Btw: this whole Gary Patterson discussion is dumb. You found one example of a coach that was average his first season and went on to become a great coach. I’m sure you can find others. But I guarantee that I can find 10x as many coaches that were average their first season then failed miserably. It’s the nature of the occupation. Most coaches fail

So don’t try to use that comparison argument because it can be destroyed with overall stats. If you want to defend Applewhite, do it on his merits, not other coaches results

1 Like

When Allen was throwing INTS and turning the ball over, the board was screaming for Postma. Now we have Postma, and people are screaming for Allen.

It’s coaching guys.

1 Like

If it was about giving ourselves a chance to win, wouldn’t they have made the switch before Tech took a 17 point lead with 6 minutes to go? Maybe, just maybe, wouldn’t the coaches had made the switch before going 6 straight possessions without any points?

When we put Postma in, we scored 2 TDs and Tech scored nothing. Even if we had not fumbled the punt and scored quickly, Tech still would have had the ball and a 3 point lead with 1 minute left and no UH timeouts. Do you really believe when we put Postma in, the coaches thought, “maybe the QB we didn’t think was good enough to start will lead us to 17 points in 5 minutes and we can beat Tech in overtime.”

1 Like

90% sure that most of the people asking to put Allen back in, have been against Postma starting from day 1. They haven’t changed their minds, they just never thought Postma deserved a chance. Most of the people that wanted Postma or King to come in during the Tech game are the ones saying to give King a chance now.

1 Like

Just to be clear about my take:

1. I was concerned with Allen’s performance but I never asked much less screamed for Postma.

2. I only am asking about King because there have been hints that King was pushing Allen for the starter role until he got hurt in the Spring and last year CTH said that King was moving to WR for last year but something along the lines about QBing in the future (or that is my recollection).

If King can make something out of nothing on plays, then why not see what he can do with this offense? That is all. This is not the 2015 AAC – you don’t have to be near perfect to win the West this season. CMA has shown he is not shy about changing the QB if the results were not there so trying to connect the dots on whether this will be the Postma show the rest of the season and we can stop discussing King as an option.

Yep, but the whole idea of making wholesale changes and firing the Head Coach/OC after 2 losses is dumb as well. Point of the argument was that how can you decide anything after 6 games where the coach has gone 4-2 to include wins against a 4-2 P5 team on the road and a team that’s 4-2 and that we lost big against last year. We also beat last year’s AAC champ on the road and our closest “rival.” All this while starting a head-case of a QB and then switching to a former walk-on. Does that count on CMA’s resume or am I just being “dumb” again.

But yeah, CMA is just Levine 2.0 or Helton 2.0 because we lost a game to 1-5 Tulsa. Herman never did that, Yeoman never did that, Pardee never did that…oh wait, they all had bad losses during their coaching careers.

2 Likes

He switched out his QB and LB coach after his first year.

Please stop trying to say Temple is good. UConn, one of the worst teams in college football, just beat them. Do you want to say we’re comparable to UConn? But hey, Temple beat ECU, UMass, and squeaked by FCS Nova

I didn’t say they were good, I said that they were last year’s AAC Champ. Was my statement untrue?

So if I say we lost to a P5 team that didn’t qualify for a bowl last year, I wouldn’t be underselling Tech? Or you said a 4-2 P5 team. I’ll say lost to a team that was 3-9 last year. Am I wrong?

I would have thought “yes” to your question, however Major has twice demonstrated a lack of willingness to make timely adjustments, if any at all. Some coaches are stubborn to a fault.

Now, as to whether MA thought there was still a chance to win when he made the change, I’d say however unlikely it would’ve been, he did. Anyone that’s been in the game as long as Major has, has seen, if not been a part of, an unlikely come from behind win. It ain’t over til it’s over. I’m sure he had the thought that at the 6 minute mark that if they were going to win it wasn’t going to be with Allen. I do, however, leave room for the possibility that I’m wrong.

You’re picking one item of an argument I made and trying to focus on that. Point is that you wanted me to focus on CMA’s merits because I mentioned Patterson and you thought that was “dumb.” Can you tear down those merits? Sure, there’s only been 6 games and it’s not like we have Alabama, Oklahoma, or Clemson on the schedule this year.

I get it, man, the loss sucked, I agree with that. I’m concerned about CMA’s coaching abilities as well; I mentioned that in the 1st half vs 2nd half thread that my biggest concern is adjustments during the game and I’m not crazy about the offense which is why I’ve mentioned in other threads that bringing in someone like Jason Phillips to help diversify the offense may be a decent idea.

What I’m not going to do is make comments like “Levine 2.0” or “Helton 2.0” and we should fire everybody and go sign some coach that isn’t going to come here. I lived through those eras and this is nowhere near as bad so far. Hell, it’s not like we haven’t had bad losses the last two years (UCONN and SMU) and we came back from both of them to have bigger wins later in the season.

2 Likes

It is not just one loss, but rather the poor performance of the team the entire season. This is an unprepared and undisciplined football team that has not improved from the 1st game until now.

1 Like

I’m not sure “unprepared” is the right word to use. We’ve come out strong in the first half of almost every game which leads me to believe that we are prepared to play. Unprepared for adjustments in the 2nd half, I’ll give you that.

I agree with undisciplined as penalties are much higher and there are instances where guys aren’t getting pulled for those mistakes. That’s a huge concern I have as well.

“Not improved since the first game.” I guess, this team shows improvement in some areas during certain games and then regresses in others and then gets better in those areas and regresses in others. This team is very inconsistent from half to half; some of it is coaching, some of it is on the players. Thing is, I could see this team going 4-1 the rest of the way or 1-4; really just a matter of which team shows up at any given time. I think we just have average upperclass talent as a team and the coaching staff, right now, just doesn’t have the ability to coach them to be more than that. Then again, seeing what our old coach is doing with a similar problem in Austin, I’m not sure he would have been able to do much better.

I do think we will be a better and more consistent team next year due to the talent we have coming back/in and hopefully some changes in the coaching staff.

its hard to track improvement when we go from best game of the year(SMU) to worst(Tulsa)in one week. This team is inconsistent…I feel like we are really lacking in certain areas, talent wise, and will benefit a lot from Apple’s recruits next year, who are really talented…particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

2 Likes

Agreed, It worked with Greg Ward. Our team was better because we played him at QB, not WR.

Now this is Levinesque. This was one of the hallmarks of the Levine teams. We were turning the ball over, we fix that, but now we can’t pass. We fix that, but now the Oline can’t get their coverage, we fix that, now we turn the ball over 7 times to SMU. Rinse, wash, repeat.

1 Like

It seems to me that it’s worth giving it a shot. Give him a short leash at first. Can’t imagine he wouldn’t be at least as productive as what we’ve seen up to this point.

We’ve seen what Allen can do. He lacks mobility, or he is instructed not to run the ball. We’ve seen Postma and he’s a good backup QB. What we haven’t seen is perhaps the most talented elusive, mobile, dual threat QB on our roster…D’Eriq King. I believe he’s the next era of Greg Ward Jr.

Our offense has developed a fine reputation over the past few years with a dual threat, mobile QB at the helm. Kolb, Keenum and Ward, Jr. During the Veer years, any number of UH QB were dual threat. It wasn’t until Helton came to UH that he implemented the pro set and it didn’t work. He had seven years to recruit and make the pro set work…and it didn’t.

I’m not the HC, just a fan, but I have been a UH fan for 55 years. I’ve seen it all. The beginning stages of the Veer, the Run’N Shoot, Helton pro set, Dimel disaster and the spread offenses of Briles, Sumlin, Levine and Herman.

The one common denominator of our success dating back to Bill Yeoman was a QB who was dual threat, elusive and possessed the ability to scramble and pass. After seeing Allen and Postma, I believe King offers the program the best option for success.

1 Like