Post Kelvin Sampson

Me too.

I wasn’t gonna say it. Glad someone else did. That said, I love Houston.

A few years ago, Sampson said–and I quote–“I won’t be here in ten years.” He’s gone sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Yeah like we Katy folks.

At some point there needs to be a passing of the torch, like Coach K to Shyer.
CKS is a HOF coach and deserves the recognition when the time comes.
He has the players though he needs to win it all to be GOAT worthy.

Coach is not going anywhere…

3 Likes

He also said he wants to be the oldest coach in cbb so I think he’s got a few years left

If we think we are now a top 5 program so we shouldn’t hire Kellen as the HC that is just stupid arrogance. A top 5-10 ranking can be gone at the snap of a finger with change.
Look at blue bloods struggling with Kentucky, Duke and UNC.
Look at schools who have all the resources imaginable to attract and pay a staff like Texas in Austin.
Look at schools like Tech who played in a National Championship game and Baylor more recently who dominated the field to win it all. One is struggling and the other trying to stay inside the top 25.

We have a culture that has been built and is unique to College Basketball. We don’t honor our commitment and hire Kellen then there is a chance it crashes down. This is our chance to be really good for the long-haul if we don’t mess it up.

3 Likes

Kelvin’s too short to play the post.

1 Like

It’s not crazy to think young Kellen can bring UH an insane amount of talent given how much he loves that part of the job. Dude has great charisma!!! He’ll be up to the challenge.

1 Like

I think Kellen will be a Uh legend

2 Likes

Take Kelvin completely out of the picture. Kellen still deserves the shot. He’s committed as many years, days, and hours as any assistant out there.

8 Likes

There’s knowing the system and having the playbook on what dad did and following it to a “T”; however, there are certain intangibles and a legacy that doesn’t get passed down to ensure the culture sustains.

There are a small handful of sons of very good coaches who went on to be solid coaches, but it’s not a lot. I’m not saying Kellen isn’t up to the task. He’s getting handed the keys to a Hellcat as a teenager when most start off with a 10-15 year old Nissan Sentra with 180k miles on it.

Kelvin’s first head coaching gig (Montana Tech) was a beat up Ford Focus that he turned it into a an ST. Then he did it again at Washington St and he did again at OU.

See the difference? Kellen hasn’t experienced that grind as a coach ever in his life and built something from nothing. It does concern me a bit when CKS hangs up his whistle.

Concerns are valid… However, I think Kellen will be great. He is well known and is a good recruiter. With him in the driving seat I respect recruiting will improve. He has a good balance unlike Kelvin. Sometime Kelvin is too angry. Kellen will have that side of him to get the guys to work but he is also a bit more encouraging which will give young guys confidence! Kellen is Charismatic!

3 Likes

Here’s what Kellen should have when his dad decides to step away.

1. Well established recruiting pipelines in the state and throughout the country - relationships everywhere as he is already our top recruiter.

2. A team full of high 3 star and four star student athletes, maybe a five star or two as well.

3. A few years of tape and in game experiences against all of his Big 12 competitors - he won’t be starting from scratch without knowledge of the comp.

4. A big 12 reputation, facilities and budget. He won’t be lacking resources.

5. Backing of Tilman Feritta.

6. A top 25 team.

The list goes on and on. He’ll be set up for success. He should be able to capitalize and I believe he will keep us relevant, maintain our culture and continue to have our team in the Ncaa tournament where anything can happen year after year for the foreseeable future.

What more could you ask for?

8 Likes

He will already have a well established culture that his current players will help enforce.

1 Like

I think Kellen deserves a shot. Hell we promised it to him to keep that family happy. I am concerned that the hardnosed culture may slip away. I believe Kelvin is key to his culture.

I am sure that Kellen along with the other coaches and the players believe in the culture and enthusiastically participate in it. But living it vs creating it and demanding it are not the same. I mean every team tries to play as hard as we do. Also it seems not to many continuation hires work out. Yes some do and I hope that includes Kellen. Another 20 years of this would push us to second tier blue blood.

1 Like

Still want Nate Oats… When has CKS ever gotten beaten like that…?

1 Like

First game @ a loaded WSU team

1 Like

Yah that was a rough one. Crazy that we were able to beat them by double digits only a couple weeks later given how out matched we were on the road.