Post Kelvin Sampson

We made Kellen coach In waiting as part of the deal to keep Kelvin. It would be wrong and unethical to welch on our deal, whether it is in writing or not. In Texas a handshake is considered binding, just ask the Texaco and Pennzoil executives.

2 Likes

Hottest hot take I’ve heard in awhile. First of all, Kellen contributes to way more than the culture. He is our top recruiter and player after player credits him with their skill growth, particularly shooting. Think of all the offensive development that we have seen from Gorham, Fabian White, J’Wan, even Shead.

Second, he would put your kid on a team with an alleged accessory/participant in a murder. No thank you.

3 Likes

Oh, my bad. Didn’t know I needed to compare us to St. Oeters. I didn’t realize they have been to 6 final fours, had 2 hall of fame coaches, they are moving to the Big 12, and that they have been one of the most dominant teams over the last decade.

My apologies.

3 Likes

See above… CKS said that wasn’t part of HIS deal…

That Pez applied that designation to Kellen on his own accord…

I think both of those guys were actually kicked off the team before the incident occurred…

Why even ask now? I have the feeling that Mr. Sampson wants to be here for more than just a few years. I do not see him slowing down any time soon. His maturity and demeanor makes him who he is. He is in the perfect place at the right time in his life.

Coach is 67…I am hoping we get another 4-5 great years before he heads off to the HoF. That will give us a decade of elite program status before our next coaching change.

1 Like

There is a LOT of people that don’t want to live in Houston, too many people, too humid and hot, mosquitoes, hurricanes , traffic , crime lol

1 Like

Just enjoy the ride while Kelvin is here and then let the rest work itself out. Look how long it took us to become a national power after Guy V stepped down

3 Likes

Those are attendance excuses. :joy:

2 Likes

Cornball comments I agree!

First of all……Your profile pic is AWESOME.

As far as the original question.

I have said before it is absolutely Kellen as the next coach.
He has been in his dad’s hip pocket for YEARS.
He knows the system, the culture, the recruiting game, etc.
If we don’t hire him he will go somewhere else, be successful and move on to greener pastures.

Kellen 100% deserves his shot.

8 Likes

I think CKS retires in two years if they win the ship this season. That’s just my wild guess not too out of left field I hope.

Get one more huge raise for him and his staff before handing over to Kellen. I’m sure Kellen would bring on someone like a Larry Brown type to help him early on to have the best success.

1 Like

Kellen will be the coach when Kelvin retires.

Arguers gonna argue.

3 Likes

Yeah not sure if he’s a troll or not but that avatar is great…. Dikk Nolterson

1 Like

No doubt to me we will continue to have a coach Sampson when Kelvin retires.
Not easy foot steps to follow but I have a feeling young Sampson has been well groomed and the cupboards will be full when he takes over.
But until why worry? Just enjoy the ride

3 Likes

Purdue has been to a Final Four, 1980. Lost to UCLA then beat Iowa in the consolation game. I was there.

Actually, Purdue has been to the 1969 and 1980 Final Fours.

In 1969, they made it to the Finals and lost to UCLA.

I think they’ve been to the same number of Sweet Sixteens as UH.

1 Like

Why even have this discussion. Coach is going to be here a long time and his son is soon to follow. Be was promised and was put on the contract. No need to even think about a replacement. That’s asinine, we are in the middle of the season at 19 -2.

Sometimes you guys are extremely out of touch

Yeah I saw that after I posted. However, I still think he would be a great coach, he’s our best recruiter already.

1 Like