Pre Season Write Ups:

7-5 won’t cut it this year

11 Likes

Since UH frequently loses most of the players that we initially recruit to “middle of the pack P5 programs” (like Texas Tech) the fallacy that we should be able to defeat such teams even though they have a roster full of more talented players somehow escapes me.

And here I go thinking that the UH fan-base was immune to the kind of false pride and arrogance frequently shown by the fan-bases over at UT-Austin and ATM. Surprise, surprise, surprise…I suppose that every fan base has their fair share of knuckleheads.

5 Likes

Tech hasn’t been a middle of the pack P5 school for a while. They are bad.

For reference, they haven’t been .500 in the Big 12 since 2009.

6 Likes

From 2011-2016 (6 seasons) we went 9-3 (75% winning %) against P5 opponents. A lot of luck for a long time I guess.

3 Likes

Tech is a middling to bad P5 program over nearly a decade. We need that win among many others for many fans including myself to start to buy into DH and Tune.

4 Likes

Well we should aspire to be a good (not bad) as Texas Tech. Last time I looked, they were a P5 program in the Big 12, they were earning about 5 times as much media revenue as does UH, their home attendance is double UH’s home attendance and as a result they can currently recruit better players than UH can recruit.

So to use an expression, while there is quite a “gap” between Texas Tech and UH, we should aspire to try to close that gap. Now, let’s see how we do against them this season.

2 Likes

An SBNation article on college FB recruiting rankings for the past 4 years provides us the following info:

SEC (P5) - has 6 of the top 8 programs (also includes OU & Ohio State)
Big 12 (P5) - has 10 programs ranked between #4 (OU) & #67 (Kansas), all ahead of any AAC team
AAC (non-P5) - has 4 programs ranked between #68 & #73, all just ahead of UH @ #74

So based on our recruiting rankings (which largely ignores transfers), UH has the 5th best player talent in the AAC behind Cincinnati, Memphis, South Florida & SMU, and behind the entire Big 12.

[Really, this should come as no surprise to anyone who knows the P5 vs non-P5 recruiting narrative.]

2 Likes

And still been better than UH lately.

2 Likes

Tech has beat us twice in a row, they have no respect for us from their fan base, we must win our first game this year

7 Likes

No doubt. I don’t care if UH blows out the next two opponents but lose to Tech. That would only get us closer to Dana getting fired!

Dana doesn’t feel pressure because of his buyout. He’s going to get paid one way or another.

2 Likes

If CDH wins 10 the haters are going to say say “cupcake schedule” but I get it, i thought Levine and Applewhite sucked and wanted them gone… everyone has their own opinion. I also know that winning 10 games at D1 level is no easy task, no matter what all us keyboard warriors think.

5 Likes

Lmao. If we win 10 games, I guarantee the thing you’ll find on this board the least is any talks about a cupcake schedule. But if that makes you feel better with how much of a disappointment Dana has been so far, go for it.

6 Likes

Reminder - If we do win 10 games it will be only the 8th time in UH football’s 70+ year history that we did so. 3 times (in 20 years) in the SWC, 3 times (in 17 years) in C-USA and only 1 time (in 9 years) so far in the AAC. Seems like maybe we are due!

4 Likes

I’ll bet you a cold beer on that one :grinning: Only thing that will make me feel better is turning this train around and get back to UH Football winning and having that chip on the shoulder program. Be it Dana or the next man up

1 Like

I’ll take it. And we are on the same page! Hoping for a successful season.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1396955150728810501?s=19

1 Like

Oof. I have them at 8-4. Lol

1 Like

I wonder how a team wins a half game. I’ll take the over on UH.

1 Like

Definitely over. That seems like an easy bet.

1 Like

While I would love to win 9-10 games I’m not expecting big improvements on offense solely based on new personnel without modifications to the offense and play-calling. I believe the talent was there last year to be successful, but our talent level isn’t the best in the conference, and it certainly isn’t good enough to dominate opponents. The offense needs to be creative. It needs to exploit defenses utilizing the skilled players in open space. That how we did it in years past.

And let’s not forget, a lot of the “gimmies” like Tulane and Tulsa will also be improved this year. They also have transfers from P5 schools that sat out last year. Fritz at Tulane, for example, has 3 transfers from P5 schools (Utah, Colorado, and K State) and all of their commits were ranked as 3 stars on at least one recruiting site. We also saw a vastly improved Tulsa team last year due to their stout defense. Both of those games are on the road.

2 Likes