Pre Season Write Ups:

Tulsa also lost their heart and soul on defense.

1 Like

UH’s record against Tulsa is about the same as our record against Texas Tech - that is we have won about 57% of the time. Sure doesn’t seem like a gimmie to me.

3 Likes

It should be it’s just freaking Tulsa, not Alabama lol

2 Likes

We’ve won 5 of the last 6 against them.

It was pretty tight before that in CUSA. Tulsa was a really solid program back then.

1 Like

We have less than 8 games win in 2 years so that is definitely not an easy bet. I have us right at 8 wins but that’s pretty optimistic. We will probably got 7-5

3 Likes

Here is our all time record versus everyone we play this year.

Texas Tech 18-13-1
Rice 31-11
Grambling 1-0
Navy 5-2
Tulsa 25-19
Tulane 18-7
East Carolina 7-7
SMU 21-13-1
South Florida 5-2
Temple 6-1
Memphis 15-14
Uconn 2-1

Historically speaking we should roll this year.

6 Likes

Yep, with this schedule 10+ is an absolute necessity.

2 Likes

Come on, guys. We’ve won a COMBINED 7 games over the last two seasons. I would be over the moon with a 10 win season. I’m just hoping to see progress being made. 8 wins would be progress, for me.

6 Likes

If we don’t win 9 games there is a problem.

What I think is going to happen is we will win 10 games and we will lose to someone stupid (we always do) and we will go to the conference championship and get spanked by Cincinnati.

Then the question is where are we as a program. Is the 10 wins progress with this schedule? or are we the team that lost by 28 to Cincinnati?

I have seen the Coog movie too many times. Then the following year with a senior quarterback and lots of excitement we will regress. Come on you it is going to happen, I know it is going to happen and the American people know it is going to happen.

3 Likes

Well, if you were to look at UT-Austin’s all-time record against their opponents for the past 10 seasons - in the same light as UH’s (ie: tied or a winning record) - then by “fanatical” reasoning UT should have been able to win 8+ Conference Championships and been in 6+ National Championship playoff games.

Obviously there are not a lot of math majors on here, but you might want to ask one about the probability of UH defeating all 12 teams (in a single season) against which UH has historically been able to defeat only 63% of the time.

[A little hint - even in our SWC heyday, UH has never been able to do that.]

1 Like

Yes, but do the Italian people know?

2 Likes

I think that distinction will be determine how the season guess it’s SMU and Memphis three two teams on the schedule most likely to be good before Cinci. I think we’re all expecting a split. If we get smoked by either one of those teams then go get smoked by Cinci, I think then we will be talking about the team who benefited from a very manageable schedule but lost to the really good teams.

Which actually is the most likely outcome of the season but I’ll put it at a 9-3 regular season instead of 10 wins.

2 Likes

I think with this schedule and at this point in DH’s tenure the bar is rightly set at 8. 8 will buy DH another year and won’t change my opinion positively or negatively. 7 or less wins is not good enough. 9+ wins and we start getting frisky around here again!

I’m hoping for a push at 8-4 but based on everything I’ve seen the last 2 years, I think a frustrating, grind-it-out, cardiac coogs, lose games we shouldn’t 7-5 is most likely. The poly’s will say DH gave us a winning season and the program needs more time and we will be having the same conversations a year from now. I’d be shocked if we win 9+ even with this schedule. I will be equally shocked if we don’t at least get bowl eligible.

1 Like

I think we win 10, but I agree about the 7-5 scenario. THAT is what worries me, if we barely scratch a winning season that’s enough to keep him on for a few more seasons of mediocrity. And when we get Cinnci, UCF etc back on our schedule it could get ugly.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/gocoogs1/status/1397585441931595779?s=21

1 Like

This is on thread of it’s own now, I moved my comment there.

2 Likes

Agree with that but it’s like man, wait a season to find out. That’s a quick jump off the ship.

1 Like

Cool post. Fair to say we have a rivalry with Memphis?

1 Like

To me Memphis is our rivalry in the AAC.

We try to make SMU our rival but the schools are so different that it just falls flat.

3 Likes

Derek feels Memphis is their rival according to team census due to the fact they were always competing for West division and they don’t like SMU because it’s SMU.

6 Likes