Pre Season Write Ups:

This is great to hear! I always wonder if players dislike the teams that fans dislike. Feels good to have some solidarity.

2 Likes

I REALLY dislike SMU and Memphis and their fans
Looking forward to playing both at home this year in front of sellout crowds
I think we have the players now to have a good chance to win both those games this year

7 Likes

Sellout at TDECU? I’ll consider it a success to see 30K-35K in the stands and full student sections.

3 Likes

the last time us AND Memphis took care of their business (2015), it was a sellout/
Same thing with SMU (2011)
Time for the 3 of us to start playing like we are capable

4 Likes

For more than 15 minutes . . . . .

3 Likes

I would dislike SMU more but my wife is an SMU alum. I’m sure their fans are fine overall but we sat next to some bad ones last time we played. They were bringing up a game from the 80s where we ran up the score to 90 something. So I guess there is still a lot of bad blood for them.

1 Like

Twinmom,
How does Derek feel about Texas Tech? Will the locker room be up for our first game. My son went to Tech in Engineering and I feel a certain amount of rivalry. I hope to beat those guys as they disrespect us every chance they get.
Go Coogs !

2 Likes

If SMU were such blatant cheaters they wouldn’t have gotten the death penalty which resulted in their football program being a complete disaster for the years following their return to play. Then maybe they wouldn’t have been beaten so badly. I don’t apologize for running it up on them, their cheating cost other teams chances at the SWC crown; I wish we would have shut them out and we had scored more than a hundred instead of a mere 95. They had a good run with players they bought, players that maybe would have gone elsewhere had it not been for their willful cheating. Players like Dickerson for example.

2 Likes

Bottom line is that they had only Freshmen and Sophmores as we did too along with our Juniors and Seniors. We emptied the bench early and what were supposed to do, tell our players to lay down? We could have scored more on them. If they didn’t want to be beaten, then wait until you can field a decent team.

1 Like

They are pumped to play Tech. Wanted to be at TDECU though, but they are excited. They know they have to win, it’s not an option. Beating a Big 12 opponent in our opening game would be a huge moral booster all around.

7 Likes

FTFY, everyone in the SWC was dirty, they just happen to be the dirtiest.

3 Likes

You don’t think we’ve ever paid for a player, or given some sort of other illegal benefit so that they would come to our fine university?

1 Like

We paid for every violation, including one that had special sanctions when Darryl Shepard’s grandmother got a car loan from a bank that had a UH BOR as president. Something that UT routinely did. No one cut us any slack, why should we.

BTW, I don’t think the money we gave Lonell Phea as dirty. It amounted to about $100 a month over 4 years. The guy would not have been even able to go to a movie or on a date without it. He was one of many who had absolutely no money coming from home and the NCAA prevented players from having jobs. On the other hand, SMU was paying big bucks for players.

5 Likes

Thank you Twinmom !
Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Regarding our Coogs 95 - 21 win over SMU:

1. SMU continued to play man coverage despite being too slow to cover our wide receivers and consistently gave up long pass completions. Had they played zone so Cougar drives would have taken more time off the clock, the score wouldn’t have gotten so out of hand.
  2. Andre Ware didn’t play the entire 2nd half. Also, the Coogs ran out the clock from the SMU 17 yard line at game’s end instead of trying to eclipse 100 points.
  3. SMU cried about our running up the score, but weeks later Notre Dame played SMU and did everything to keep the score reasonable, including running out of bounds on wide plays when many more yards were available up the sidelines plus even punted a couple times on 3rd down. After the game, SMU players said they were embarrassed because Notre Dame didn’t try their hardest. I’m sorry, but you can’t have it both ways.
8 Likes

So did SMU players cry about our running up the score or just the fans? There is a big difference I think.

1 Like

My recollection was both

1 Like

I would be overjoyed with 9 or 10 wins no matter how the rest of the season ends up. We need to show progress this season
need to win at least 8 with this schedule. Anything more is gravy.

1 Like

Forrest Gregg cried, said it was needless.

Pardee then went off on Notre Dame after their win for going easy on SMU. He was backed by the Utah Deseret News, but the East coast opinion was that the Coogs were bad.

1 Like

Smu roster looks really good and they have been a solid team last 2 years. Plus they have had a really good recruit class. Memphis has been steady one of the top teams in the AAC for 5 years. We are the only ones that need to catch up