President Khator going after the PUF

Would you prefer he spoke with a Gaelic Irish accent to be more “Irish”

The truth is he is from El Paso, Texas one of the most Mexican-American cities in the United States…so that’s a nickname where he grew up…that;'s actually his vernacular language.

It’s like an English-American kid living in an Italian-American neighborhood in New York that goes by Tommy instead of Thomas because Tommy is a very popular nickname in his neighborhood.

Beto is the same type of nickname for Robert as Tommy is for Thomas.

4 Likes

I really don’t know his complete history, but was Beto running for office when his parents gave him that nickname? Could Rafael to Ted have been done to fit in better in a community (wealthier / private school in the 70’s / 80’s) as well? I don’t know the motivations behind the changes, but I see that one get’s a lot of facebook grief, while I don’t see that with the other one.

3 Likes

If anyone can get this done it is Madam Khator …“she has fire in the belly” !
Go Coogs,get Navy’s Goat !

No, I think his dad gave it to him to help him in business as I posted above. It doesn’t matter, people vote the way they want for whatever reason they want. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, my original intent was to answer a question posted. Let’s get back to the original intent of this thread.

2 Likes

Patrick does nothing but pass himself off as something he isn’t.

2 Likes

Well, this politicking has gone off the rails.

If you’d like to look at the endowment data we’ve put together, check out the endowment thread in the “Academic Excellence” category.

Ok… It seemed like you were doing more than just answering a question. It seemed like you were implying Beto’s name was changed “…to get Mexican votes”. Just seemed like a quick-hit that needed to be pressed a little.

3 Likes

This topic was all about politics in the first place. If you don’t think legislation to change the PUF endowment isn’t about politics, you don’t understand politics.

2 Likes

Mexican voter here…lulz

Mike, debating on Texas politician birth names is not politics. It is nonsensical drudgery that takes away from the topic. This is a message board of well-educated and seasoned professionals who should be overlooking the political stances, in this particular thread, in the mission to help UH. What to do, how to help, and how to get to the goal.

Respectfully, anything beyond that should be flexed in the Politics category, where it can be, appropriately, verbally masturbated over.

2 Likes

You don’t know why she considers us the 3rd public flagship in Texas? We literally are in every metric.

2 Likes

Which is why governors ha e nothing more than a loud voice in the matter.

The lack of funding for universities in Texas has harmed the state.
Texas has 3 schools in the Top 100 U.S. Utility Patents while Florida has 6.

university of florida
university of south florida
emory university
university of central florida
florida international university
florida state university

university of texas
texas a&m university
university of houston system

3 Likes

How has it harmed the state? I

f anything, Texas has gained educated residents from other states and those other states spent their funds to educate our citizens. they’re expenditures are helping Texas become a top economic power without costing Texas taxpayers a dime.

Emory is in Atlanta, Georgia and is a Private School.

Point still valid, but aren’t patents for research and development and provide a revenue source to the school?

Emory is on the same strata as Rice and Tulane and is an AAU member.

Sorry, my mistake on Emory.

Research at a university brings wealth to the school, community, and state. Some organization, frequently the U.S. government, provides funds. The university creates a project, adds staff, provides facilities, etc. Thus, the school is wealthier. If the project obtains patents, the school receives royalty income. Again, the school is wealthier…

Athletic income at the most successful universities is peanuts compared to research and royalty dollars. A few months ago, a judge ordered Apple to pay the University of Wisconsin $506 million for infringing one of its tech patents. Last year, Carnegie-Mellon University won $750 million in a patent infringement lawsuit against Marvell Technology Group.

2 Likes

Pluses for the individual universities but not having those has not harmed the state of Texas.

California has spent the money to educate a A good portion of the growing Texas population.

Just saw we are the third highest paying college behind Ut and TAM per student
UT- 45.9k
TAM- 39.9k
UH- 23.1k
UTD - 21.1k
TT - 20.1k
UTA - 17.4k
UTEP - 17.4k
UTSA - 16.6k
UNT - 16.3k
TxSt - 14.8k
(Dollars spent per student)
Numbers according to UH Twitter.

Really? ‘without costing Texas taxpayers a dime’. All the state new state infrastructure needed to accommodate these folks, California’s paying? And we get to breath the additional smog. What a deal.

1 Like