President Khator going after the PUF

Cruz’s middle name is Edward. Ted is a common nickname for Edward. Beto was pulled out of the air, or somewhere else.

6 Likes

The truth is that here is enough money in the PUF to support 4 “AAU level” type public universities in the state of Texas.

The problem is that 1, or 2, of those already AAU level institutions is sitting on the money while the next two likely that deserve additional funding (UH & TT) continue to operate in a state funding environment where they have to “beg” for additional funding.

With increased funding, we can be more selective in the type of student we accept, thus increasing our graduation rates.

Even our own politicians, like Whitmire, has said he does NOT want UH to ever be a destination type University (like UT and TAMU) so I wonder how political this whole hierarchy is?

2 Likes

You are absolutely right. I was there in Austin in 2005 lobbying as a student with all the other alums to raise the issue that Jay Gogue’s administration was pushing for. It’s a bunk system and as an Aggie, I don’t think hoarding all the resources does anything, but hinder the education of the state. Aggies and Longhorns have more than enough money to function at the same levels.

It’s already happening, but I get it. The one thing we need to remember is that by increasing the selectivity, we move further away from the original mission of UH to train and educate the sons and daughters of the working people of Houston (not to create another Rich man’s school).

I’m not completely connected to the Texas politics scene at the Representative level, but this is a sad UH rep, if that’s true.

3 Likes

A&M’s is different because the schools on those lists were absorbed into the A&M system after 1989 and HEAF was written in 1985. Tarleton has been in the A&M system since 1917 and Prairie View since the beginning.

UTPA & UTB became UT RGV - this/these schools were absorbed into the UT system (after 1989).

That said, these outlier institutions should be part of the constituent systems they belong to. The way I see the UT system vs A&M system, A&M College Station is (unfortunately) taking pieces of its constituent system and making those grads “Aggie” grads instead of the location they are (e.g. Pharmacy program at A&M Kingsville). I may not understand the purpose here from a 30,000 foot view, but it’s just awkward because it wasn’t that way (it was part of the A&M Health Science Center; not tied to any one TAMU institution) until 2013. UT is putting in a lot of funds into UT Dallas and UT San Antonio; however, I don’t think they’d ever be allowed to exceed Austin.

Last I read UT Austin’s financials, while the system has ~$40B in endowments, UT Austin only recognizes ~$6B of it (it’s pretty spread out to the health science centers) and has a combined asset balance of ~$13B.

yes mission statements change… I’m 100% OK with it as we create satellite options.

Texas A&M was initially created to be an All male school…All White Military primary School. That Changed!

Florida State (College for Women) was initially created to be an ALL women’s nursing school. That Changed!

University of Southern California was initially a Christian School. That Changed!

We also need to evolve and so does our Mission Statement. We should be moving closer to a UCLA type school than the Community College level institution, which our founders envisioned because spoiler alert- We no longer charge affordable tuition rates.

My point is …Universities evolve.

4 Likes

John Whitmire is a bunghole.

The sooner we get him out of office…the better UH will be.

Glad he never completed his law degree at UH, otherwise, I’d be stuck with the indignity of calling him a fellow UH law grad.

Yes, schools evolve, and UH needs to evolve into a first class, heavily residential, destination school, Whitmire be damned.

5 Likes

Sorry… I had to.

2 Likes

Maybe his dad didn’t say Beto at all… just something that sounded like it😎

1 Like

He’s, sadly, still an Alum, though.

That’s also true: The Florida State Seminal Vesicles are known for their circus program.

Good point. UH Downtown can be the school to take UH’s place on working students etc.UH needs to evolve like A&M and Fla St did.

7 Likes

Also, the state is messing up by not making UH and Tech more well funded and destination schools bc we lose tons of students to out of state then they tend to stay there after graduating or a lot do.

I think the PUF can support 4 top public universities

2 Likes

Funding has always been a problem at UH yet we can still compete(barely this year) .When you have money from Houston going out to UT and TAM idk why she considers us the 3rd flagship but I do like that she’s pushing it out there. She has done amazing things here and I do appreciate everything she has done to put UH out there on the map due to its market.

She knows more than us but think she is going for the state to capitalize on the city.

-You have sports store in Houston that have one tiny little row of UH gear compared to the sections of UT TAM Tech and TCU. I have moved to DFW and it is embarrassing seeing a full corner of Academy with TCU stuff compared to in Houston we all know that one end of isle UH stuff.

UT and A$M aren’t going to be hurt by UH and Tech rising up in profile and getting PUF funds. So I don’t see why they need to fight it or be jealous. So they would rather kids go to OU , Arizona, Lsu etc instead of staying here.

You may want to talk to Renu about that
gross categorization of Rep Whitmire. She
considers him her staunchest supporter in
state government for her career here and the success UH has over that time. But
you’re still hurt over the residency policy, so
I understand you often miss seeing the forest
in these types of matters.

2 Likes

John Whitmire’s stance on that simply UNDOES just about anything else.

He is NOT in favor of our advancement, given that, and proved himself a fool for trying to justify his position by using a lot of ignorant and stupid gay and Hispanic stereotypes.

1 Like

So I don’t see why they need to fight it or be jealous. So they would rather kids go to OU , Arizona, Lsu etc instead of staying here.

They can’t control kids going out of state, but
they can maintain AAU status and prestige in
state by fighting other state systems from
evolving.

At some point in time I could understand their
position, but they have such massive amounts
of resources for last few decades, it is crazy.

Again we’ve covered this at least twice before
and your position was shown to be more air
then substance; but still you persist on this
one issue on housing. Talk to Renu and step
back for a bigger view.

Whitmire is NOT allied with Khator’s vision.

He belittled her over her desire to implement a freshman housing requirement (with a ton of exceptions) and he’s publicly said “The University of Houston will NEVER be a Destination University”

He is a relic of the Community College type of University midset while Renu and many of us want us to evolve into a UCLA type of institution, or a more prestigious equivalent.

6 Likes

It’s not air.

Whitmire did indeed use a lot of stupid Hispanic and gay stereotypes to try and justify his unjustifiable position.

His position is contrary to UH’s advancement, and can only hold us back.

Doubt me?

How many urban commuter schools following the Whitmire model are currently AAU? Hint: ZERO that I can think of, and I won’t bet on UH being the first.

In fact, the only urban commuter school that I can think of that’s AAU is Utah, and it enjoys the privilege of being its particular state’s “flagship” public university, and privilege which UH does NOT enjoy.

We gotta change in the way Whitmire DOESN’T like…or we won’t move ahead. Sorry, but it is what it is.

3 Likes