President Khator going after the PUF

Talk to Renu 97.

I’d love to. I’d tell her that she should have gone ahead with her mandate, and that I was disappointed when she let that bunghole Whitmire get in the way.

2 Likes

It’s a game of strategy
Yes he does support her politically but NO they share entirely different visions for the University of Houston

Not to change the subject, but where does Dr. Elwyn Lee sit in this spectrum? He’s the only remaining administrator from Dr. Arthur K Smith’s chancellorship days.

He was an administrator from even before that. He was a VP back when I was in law school and James Pickering was the President.

President Khator is our best chance in decades. If she accomplishes getting access to PUF, she goes from Rock Star to being nominated for Sainthood.

6 Likes

Ha Ha true
 and yet, according to USNWR, FSU is a top 30 public university. UH is barely in the top 100.

This says more about the rankings system than it does about UH or FSU.

1 Like

Of course politicians will say they want to fund the other schools, they want your vote. At the same time, they know it will never happen bc it takes a constitutional amendment.

1 Like

With a recession coming and inflation already high, plus failed lower education voting initiatives by local citizens refusing to pay for ISD bonds, having citizens of the state of Texas vote for a new puf style endowment will be an uphill battle.

Below is a list of schools I consider urban research institutions, and the percentages of its students that live in on campus housing (this was taken from their school records, via Google):

Ga Tech - 47 percent live in on campus housing.
Pitt - 42 percent
UH - 16 percent
Utah - 15 percent
Minnesota - 80 percent
Wisconsin - 26 percent
Texas - 18 percent
Ohio State - 32 percent
UCLA - 48 percent
Temple - 16 percent
Rice - 69 percent
Georgia State - 18 percent
UI - Chicago - 12 percent
USF - 18 percent
UCF - 18 percent
Emory - 62 percent

As you can see, and as you pointed out, Utah is the only school on the list lower than us.

However, there are several AAU schools on this list that are not even about 35 percent (in Bold), including UT, UW-Madison and OSU, all AAU schools in major metro areas and state capitols.

I must say however, that the Georgia State and Ga Tech numbers are surprisingly high, but they make intuitive sense. As some of you may know, Atlanta traffic is a nightmare; likely these students realized that living on campus just made more sense, otherwise you would miss too many classes. Also, Ga Tech is a heavy PhD school with huge number of international students, so a lot of its students are married with kids or come from money. As such, living on campus is a must and is to be expected.

So, while I don’t think that we need to be at 50 percent living on campus (and I don’t believe we will ever get there), 16 percent is low, relative to our peers.

With all that said, we need to focus on ensuring that we get better applicants, and ensuring that they graduate within 6 years. The best way to do that is through offering more merit scholarships. As I have said before, the State of Texas should do what many other Southern states have done and offer free college tuition to all HS graduates who maintain a 3.0 GPA in regular courses, and 2.8 in STEM courses. GA pays for its program (the HOPE and Miller Scholarships) with the Lotto money. It has been a boon to UGA, whose ranking has skyrocketed, so much so that it has resulted in many very, very fine students being unable to attend UGA. However, it has also benefitted Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina, which now get numerous GA students who are very strong applicants. So it has also helped those schools rankings.

2 Likes

The sad part is oil will likely hit $100/bbl in the short term, the fund will be flush with cash.

1 Like

Robert → Roberto → Beto
 same concept, really

4 Likes

You certainly could
 probably best to do that on the politics board. If you do, stick around to defend, though. Don’t just do a hit-and-run.

1 Like

Probably because he changed his name long before he got into politics as so many entertainers and broadcasters do. Like nobody worried about Marion Morrison changing his name to John Wayne. The thing is, Patrick isn’t trying to identify himself off as something he isn’t, to get Mexican votes.

3 Likes

Would you prefer he spoke with a Gaelic Irish accent to be more “Irish”

The truth is he is from El Paso, Texas one of the most Mexican-American cities in the United States
so that’s a nickname where he grew up
that;'s actually his vernacular language.

It’s like an English-American kid living in an Italian-American neighborhood in New York that goes by Tommy instead of Thomas because Tommy is a very popular nickname in his neighborhood.

Beto is the same type of nickname for Robert as Tommy is for Thomas.

4 Likes

I really don’t know his complete history, but was Beto running for office when his parents gave him that nickname? Could Rafael to Ted have been done to fit in better in a community (wealthier / private school in the 70’s / 80’s) as well? I don’t know the motivations behind the changes, but I see that one get’s a lot of facebook grief, while I don’t see that with the other one.

3 Likes

If anyone can get this done it is Madam Khator 
“she has fire in the belly” !
Go Coogs,get Navy’s Goat !

No, I think his dad gave it to him to help him in business as I posted above. It doesn’t matter, people vote the way they want for whatever reason they want. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, my original intent was to answer a question posted. Let’s get back to the original intent of this thread.

2 Likes

Patrick does nothing but pass himself off as something he isn’t.

2 Likes

Well, this politicking has gone off the rails.

If you’d like to look at the endowment data we’ve put together, check out the endowment thread in the “Academic Excellence” category.