Prime to Colorado

I would be hard pressed to argue that UH has ever had a recruiting advantage over anybody, no matter what conference we have been in. I mean, even when UH was in the SWC, we were not killing it on the recruiting trail.

Again, I understand that some people just don’t like Prime Time for whatever reason, but the reality is that in today’s college football (and really college basketball) landscape, brand sells. Conference means less than it used to. If UH was still killing teams the way we were between 2008 and 2016 when we had CKS and CTH, we would not be in this mess. We put like 10 guys into the NFL while sitting in CUSA and the AAC! That was the only time in my memory where I can remember UH putting dudes into the League regularly. (I know someone is going to bring up the 1970s, but I was just a wee lad then and so don’t remember it).

So, what Prime Time has done is impressive; however, what UH has not done is even sadder.

I’m not as impressed as some.

He could prove me wrong, but as I said, his first class wasn’t ranked that much higher than ours, and he hasn’t produced any results on the field yet.

As for the recruits that he has signed, we’ll see how many stick around once they realize they won’t be getting on TV as much as in the other power conferences.

If that’s what the PAC gets (and that’s the rumor), then I doubt that Prime’s “brand” will be enough to overcome it.

I don’t see his path to a bowl in '23. They’ve got a relatively tough nonconference schedule (TCU, Nebraska, Colorado State (who are absolutely not tough)). They went 1-11 this year. Two thirds of next year’s schedule has outrecruited him so far this year. Where are they getting 5 more wins? (Besides the ColoStomy bags, of course)

Don’t have their full schedule so I can’t really go game by game and project it but they’ve got Nebraska and CSU at home to start the year. I’d say those are winnable games. I’d also say that I could see them beating the following programs in the Pac next year: Cal, Arizona, Arizona St., Stanford, Oregon St. and Washington St. Don’t know how many of those they’ll play but if they played all of them I think 5-6 wins is very doable.

edit: found their full schedule and they do indeed play all those schools, except Cal

I think you’re underestimating a lot of those programs based on name and brand. Arizona’s a year ahead of CU in rebuilding. (I’d be unsurprised to see CU’s 2023 look a lot like U of A’s 2022.) Oregon State is going to finish the year in the top 15 and will likely continue to be a dark horse in the conference. Matt Rhule has thus far outrecruited Coach Prime, and is a solid gameday coach.

Realistically, looking at their schedule, I think it’s fair to chalk up USC, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, and Utah as presumptive losses. Even if they beat one of those (I don’t think they will) that means they’d have to lose to no more than one of Nebraska, Colorado State, ASU, Arizona, Stanford, and Wazzu to make a bowl. They’ll probably beat CSU, ASU, and Stanford, and Nebraska is a toss-up. They’ll probably be underdogs in the other two. The 6th-best recruiting class in the Pac + Shedur Sanders and Travis Hunter isn’t turning CU from a one-win team to a top-half finisher in the Pac.

Are you an Arizona fan?

Not particularly. Tucson’s a crap town, and Arizona is a crap state. But they beat CU 43-20 this year. There’s a big talent gap there, and this recruiting class doesn’t look like it’s gonna close it.

Gotcha. We can agree to disagree on how they stack up with Arizona. I don’t really see much talent gap there. I think thats an extremely winnable game next year. Especially since the games in Boulder.

Very hard to turn around a 1-11 team with 1 recruiting class + transfer portal. New coach and new QB to the program. Spring practice at CO will be successful if everybody remembers everbody else’s name.

I have no doubt that if given time, Coach Prime can turn it around. My question is will CP stick around to see the job through.

1 Like

Wait, is a losing season in Year 1 of a total rebuild not expected and normal? I remember being told quite differently that it surely was normal and trust the process in 2019. Wonder what’s different now… hmm

4 Likes

It absolutely is expected and normal. But when you’ve got 3-5 years to play college football, committing a couple of those to rebuilding isn’t appealing for a lot of recruits. I think the boosters will be satisfied with his first year, but I think he’s gonna lose some of the recruiting magic.

Now top 3 in transfer rankings.

1 Like

Wow. For a first year coaching hire he has already made quite the splash.

2 Likes

Damn it coach prime!!!

I think when the final class rankings are tabulated after the spring semester transfers become known (ie; sometime early next summer), Colorado’s class will most likely be a Top 25 class while UH’s class will be likely be somewhere around 40-50ish.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1616240164191309826

Cormani and Travis will be sharing the defensive backfield. Thats back to back years Prime has signed the nation’s top cornerback.

Meanwhile, we cant even win most transfer portal battles.

Remember folks, this could have been here but we have a puppet for an AD.

1 Like

The puppet kinda messed up with that extension. Dana can win 2 games next year and he’ll still be back. If he wins 6 games the puppet may give another extension.

1 Like

Lol. Deion is the best recruiter in the country.

And it is not particularly close.

4 Likes

We had our chance, the football program perishes because of no vision

In what scenario would have prime in Houston

You’re talking about a hypothetical that was never possible nor realistic