Reality Check

Attendance is not a UH issue. It is a college FB issue.
Everything is now directed to the TV/Cable/Electronic media broadcasting of games.

School Presidents, P5 Conference Presidents, are bought and sold by the media executives and advertisers and the game is suffering. But the biggest thing that is happening is that college students and college FB fans are neither foolish nor sheep.

They are starting to say in mass, you don’t give a … about us and our wishes. OK, it is your game, but we decide whether we attend extremely hot games, games at 11:00 am in Sept. or at night in the N or NE U.S during the winter. Momma’s did not raise their son’s and daughters to be sheep. Heck, they are going to college for an education.

Remember when Tech fans came on UH fan sites when the dog and pony expansion show with the BIG12 took place. They boasted about attendance at Tech. Now they have not had a capacity crowd this year, Biggest game in years happen when WVU played in Lubbock. Jones AT&T Stadium capacity is 60,484, in attendance for the games was 55,283. Note this was not butts in seats but was 5,201 below capacity.

On one of the Tech fan sites was an article about how fans are boycotting the team at half time. There is a great photo of the stadium less than half full to start the 2nd half. The article says that this is something that they had never expected to have seen.

Baylor had 36,888 in attendance for Kansas St. with McLane Stradium having a capacity of 45,140 which means 8,252 empty seats.

PAC12 Arizona played USC and lost 24-20 at Arizona Stadium, capacity 55,675, but only 43,573 cared to attend. Fans on their fan site talked about how many left at halftime because the score was 17-0 USC.
Arizona has not sold out a game this year and this big important game against one of the marquee teams of the PAC12 had 12,102 empty seats.

Guess what, not as many mindless sheep on college campuses or among alumnus willing to attend games when and where they are told by the media,schools, conferences, etc.Even GASP, Alabama and Saban cannot get them to do as they say.

5 Likes

Then I look up and see A. J. Hinch

2 Likes

Clearly the astros manager knows what he is doing…Are you sure that CMA does ?

1 Like

CMD or CMA?

CMA - yes. CMD - likely not

Corrected, but at this moment, I cannot agree with you.

We will see after next year. I always think a new HC needs at least 3 years.

2 Likes

Just an example for all of the haters that claim the reason we don’t have sell outs for every game is because CMA is low key . . . . .

I could give a crap about his personality…only his coaching approach, his hiring of assistants, his recruiting, game preparation and keenly, his in game decision making.

Whether he has to or needs to make a decision on his DC after this year ???

AND, getting a special teams coach and not just assigning the task to the TE coach. While I am not sure, not sure if Casey has ever coached special teams ??

1 Like

It has been long established many teams use the TEs coach to be the ST coordinator. Additionally, Casey spent most of his NFL career playing STs. He has a lot of experience at the highest level being around and working for professional ST coaches.

3 Likes

Yes, getting full attendance is an issue within college football this year. I’ve watched several other football games and saw that the stadiums are not full or a lot of them leave the game early and these are P5 games.

P5 visitor? We sold out for division rivals Memphis AND Navy in 2015. Now they both had great teams and were ranked when we played them. It isnt necessary to need a P5 opponent for a big game and a big crowd. If Houston and USF keep winning, you’ll see a real big crowd at that game. People need to stop complaining about attendance.

2 Likes

If people aren’t complaining they probably aren’t attending.

Attendance, IMO, should be seen two ways. First is the eyeball test, especially if we are on national TV. That attendance is a measure of program acceptance to the general public, but of more importance, to those conferences upon which we want to make a favorable impression. Secondly, attendance is directly correlated to season ticket sales. So students don’t show to watch Bama annihilate Arky State. But their revenue, based on season ticket sales, is still huge – and so by the way, is their stadium 85-90% full.

I wasn’t trying to make a point for P5 being the only way we sell out games. I was using a P5 as a floor in reference to @ddkately’s point. He suggested that we would sell out for those games; I asked when’s the last time we sold out for a P5 game? As far as 2015 is concerned, that was 3 years ago. Have we not played any ranked teams at home since then? Are ranked home games the only way we sell out? I also wasn’t complaining about attendance. I was simply stating the not so obvious reasons why people may or not show up. I try to make every game regardless of what other people do.

There were several factors why we sold out or nearly sold out in 2015 and 16.

• Winning seasons
  • Beating notable P5s
  • Charismatic coach Tom Herman selling UH, coog football and hisself
  • Lots of national media attention
  • The Grill
  • The trophy wife :blush:

Clarification: I said we would sell out if we played UT, not just any P5 game…My exact post below: (side note: No mention of other P5s)

“I’d have to respectfully disagree with you hear, Sir. UH vs Texas would be an emotional game! People in droves would have been there and standing room only would have been all you could find if any tickets were left. You would be talking the highest attended Home UH game at TDECU because of the disdain that both schools fan bases have toward each other…book it!”

The game between UH and UT would not be at TDECU stadium. It would have to be at NRG which would be sold out.

They did play us at Robertson Stadium in 2001…so I was using that logic…you are correct about they would demand NRG today…

Yes!

I wish Coog fans would stop invoking the SWC with every other sentence. It has been 23 years since the last SWC football game. Most of the undergrads attending UH right now weren’t even alive when the SWC dissolved. Of all the SWC school alums I talk to, UH fans are the first ones to bring up the SWC.

The SWC was a fun, albeit deeply flawed, ultra-regional conference with a wide gap in fan support between its larger, public schools and smaller, private schools. Thus, the SWC became roadkill on the TV highway along with other ultra-regional conferences like the Big East and Big 8. It wasn’t fair what happened to UH. But many UH fans need to quit living in the past.

3 Likes

How on earth YOU are going to tell us from that era to stop living in the past??? Who made YOU God or King over other Coogfans and to tell us what to do. I don’t care what the younger fans think of the SWC generation. I became a fan of the Coogs during that generation while in elementary school without a single UH grad in my entire family at that time. The SWC I will forever talk about and YOU or no one else will change that. Same with the Oilers (Sorry Texans Fans generation) I am also a true blue Oilers fan and can’t support the replacement, should have been LA football team as well…Coog, SWC, and Oiler fan for life!

1 Like

Are YOU triggered?

1 Like