Red & White scrimmage 10/30 2 PM

Shooting or something else?

Maybe he left early cause it was about to end
 I thought there was 4 quarters
my bad

Oh wow already over? Feel much less guilty about not being there now lol

Just got home from the game. Some quick thoughts:
-Robbie Armbrester is running drills both and forward and guard. He guarded Fabian White during the game, but his perimeter skills are impressive. Jumpshot also looked good in warmups
-Ramon Walker is the shooter that he has been hyped to be
-Kyler Edwards was impressive
-Javier Francis has unreal jumping ability
-Jamal Shead can shoot in warmups. But not yet translating to in-game
-J’Wan Roberts recovering from an ankle sprain, but will be back at practice later this week

For those of you with Instagram, here are some pictures and video clips I took of the event:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/aamirsiddik/2696100595225783880/

4 Likes

Jamal made a couple of nice floaters
Javier made a nice corner 3
Kyler made a couple 3’s
Taze had some opportunities to take a corner but pump faked and went inside
Ramon made a 3
Robbie went in amongst the trees everytime he tried to shoot and was pretty much stuffed everytime
Jwan should be back next week acoording to CKS has a ankle sprain
Kellen coached white team
Beard coached red team
Final echoes was white team 41 - red 29 IIRC

And we know this from a scrimmage? Lol

2 Likes

Warmups and snap shot with a scrimmage. Lol
What else do you need Butch? :joy:

1 Like

He still had like 11 points of their 29, he’s just a bucket fr. Also don’t judge so harshly, everyone looks suspect when being guarded by our guys haha. He will be ok. This is why Sampson schedules, Montana Tech, Hofstra, and Rice first 3 games lol. Sasser went like 1-10, does he have ways to go?

1 Like

A couple? :joy: try 4 and had a foul on a 3 and made all 3 FTs

4 Likes

Walker made 2 3s, also Francis shot was a midrange not a corner 3, but it looked good

How many minutes did they play?

Man, Francis looks physically like he is a junior and definitely not as a freshman.

1 Like

It is a scrimmage. I didn’t attend. Here are my questions about this team.

*The floor general (Dejon perfected it his senior year. Who’s gonna get us in good sets). I think Sasser and Edwards are really good scorers. But who’s gonna sacrifice and run the O, like Dejon and Galen did

*Offensively does Carlton and Fabian work (Justin Gorham, was a perfect stretch 4 last year. We could put him in the baseline corner, really helped to space the floor). Do we have a stretch 4 on this roster?

And does it matter? Of course. Cause your guards need driving lanes to penetrate. Carlton looks huge out there. So you need your 4 man to be more on the perimeter

2 8 minute half’s, basically all the guards played the whole time. Powell and Francis were on the bench switching with the centers.

1 Like

Shead, Kyler, and Taze are our best passers. Sasser just isn’t really a point guard to me. He’s not great in the pick in roll facilitating. But he can score and handle the ball. Kyler looked impressive running the offense. Taze made a lot of good passes, Shead is the true PG

pesik reports

red team: sasser, tramon, reggie, robbie , taze, powell
white team: shead, edwards, fabian, carlton, walker, javier

dnp: Roberts (sprained ankle), elvin wasn’t present

my initial thought was that the red team was about to blowout the white team (all the players with agility on the red team), but the white team might get lots of post points
but the opposite happened, the white team comfortably blew out the red team and it had little to do with post scoring

Red teams:
Looked exactly like last year every time that dejon went to the bench. a ton of low percentage shots, little creating for others
Sasser: did not show any play-making improvements, basically what he was last year. flashy handles taking a ton of low percentages 3s off the dribble
 if there was a box score for the game his stats wouldn’t have been pretty
Tramon: similar scouting report to sasser, tons of low percentage shots, flashy handles that lead to contested shots. he does not hesitate to shoot, which will be a good or bad thing depending on his percentages
percentages not great this scrimmage
reggie: one of the biggest bright spots, he shot a ton of long mid-range and did not miss once. his game has evolved. still no dribble thou
robbie: amazing defensive potential, he can guard 1 through 4
handles are better than expected
 but he might be an offensive liability. He was dared to shoot all game (didn’t guard him outside the post), he did not shoot it once. he passed up an open midrange, to force a layup (led to an offensive foul) where he got a minor injury and had to sit out the last portion of the game
taze: better defensively than I thought, and I already thought he was good
 I knew he could defend wings and pf, maybe some 2s, but after Shead got a few layups to start the game they had taze full-court press Shead the rest of the game. the ability to full-court press a pg was a surprise
offensively he has a very quick burst but no handles. he is a very good passer and the only one who tried to make offense for others on the red team
powell: hit 2 open shots, and hand an and-1 layup
his offense is there

white team:
very unselfish team, took whatever the defense gave them, took smart shots

shead: started the game blazing, got a ton of floaters, then they switched taze on him to press and he disappeared, but the fact of needing to switch a top defender on him (seen as a threat) is a great sign
 shot didn’t look good, but could have just been an off game
 defensively kept Sasser in check all game
Edwards: if you knew nothing about UH basketball and just watched this scrimmage, you’d think he was far and a way the best player on the team
 there is an air of confidence around him
had 20pts (4 3s) in the equivalent of 1 half
 was automatic from 3 with any space, might have been like 80% from 3 this scrimmage. also had an and-one drive and regularly drew fouls on shots
 not flashy with the handles but gets the job done

Fabian: improved as a driver, if he got anywhere close to the rim he made it
 improved “willingness” to shoot 3s, but missed every shot. he wouldn’t be shooting it if he didn’t think he could make it, so probably just an off game
Carlton: hit a long mid-range, overall play wasn’t too notable, but hitting a long midrange shows the evolution in his game too
Walker: Hit 2 open 3s
 has the potential to be a really good 3 and d. his defense isn’t that great now, and he only shoots when wide open
 but the build blocks are there
Francis : wasn’t too notable but hit a really long jumper, which many wouldn’t have put in his scouting report when he commited

Roberts: was given Ramon instructions on where to be, and what to do, he didn’t play but you got the sense he knows the Sampson’s system

overall: there were few post points, both teams played the monster really well

12 Likes

This part is especially important to note. Hard to draw conclusions from the limited sample size that we saw in this scrimmage, and also that both squads were generally playing good defense. Lots of deflected passes whenever the ball was in the paint. But the team looks like it’ll be very exciting, and very good.

1 Like

worrisome about Sasser. he didnt impress me much last year and I was hoping this year would be his year.

very much looking forward to Taze and Edwards this year.

3 Likes

To me the big question for the year will be how good Shead and Taze are off the bench? If they are effective this team will be really good.

1 Like