Red & White scrimmage 10/30 2 PM

Much of this thread is really humorous , especially the statement that Marcus “didn’t impress” last season. Only 2nd Team All-AAC as a sophomore.

6 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, 1970 was the last time our football and basketball teams finished ranked in the same season. Fingers crossed!

4 Likes

I love to talk some Cougar basketball but some of this makes it difficult. Like RR stated, some of this is laughable.
I got some news for you, Sasser is going to make some mistakes and maybe hesitant at times trying to find a balance to distribution and scoring.
He took some contested shots but not worried about him.
He is a very different player and I think he and Shead will be a great compliment for a one another. Shead has the look of a player about to take off.

Kyler will be a very good shooter
Something else on Tramon, is like Sasser, I think we see some early season ups and downs. He has an expanded role and forced a few looks today. Means nothing. He will like develop into a very good all around player.

I do like how Taze attacks the rim.

White will be a matchup nightmare he can post, put the ball on the floor and shoot.

The rest of the bigs are in great shape. Powell has filled out his frame nicely

7 Likes

Can’t wait for the season to start!

Sasser scored 20 against Oregon State and Baylor in his last two NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES. I am not worried about his scoring or shooting ability.

7 Likes

in the baylor and oregon state game, he was off ball…almsot all his shots where catch and shoot 3s set up by dejon… he didnt score 20 on shake and bake fadings 3s

in essence im not worried per say about him as an individual, but the dynamic of the core guys…we have no pg in the starting core…our offense was really bad last year every time dejon went to the bench… baylor destroyed us by putting mitchell on dejon not grimes or sasser… sasser plays like he should be offball, but he is the pg this year and will be mainly on ball, was hoping to see some distribution skills… he had the ball in his hands almost every play, i don think there was one time he attacked with the intention to distribute …then your like okay maybe mark who is more a natural passer takes that mantel, and he really didnt either

im not worried about “sasser” if we put dejon or galen on the roster, we’d be fine… im worried about the offensive dynamic of the entire group

4 Likes

I agree and that’s why some of us are calling for another PG to be recruited in this class. It doesn’t make sense to me that we only have one on the roster right now. I think it could be a hinderance to the team’s performance over a long season.

Marcus to me didn’t look too bad yesterday. The shots just were not falling it happens to everyone. I look forward to him having an amazing year with this new squad

I wouldn’t buy to much stock in that scrimmage

1 Like

5 Likes

Lolll

Right on time :joy:

Title of thread should be……

“Jump to Conclusion” thread.

3 Likes

Kelvin certainly didn’t seem to be “concerned” yesterday. I’ve also have heard from several that last Sunday was a “very good day”

3 Likes

I’m going to jump in here and implore this board to not become like the football board. It is perfectly ok to be really excited about this team while also pointing out areas of potential concern or improvement. It’s an opinion board and people should be able to post their opinions. If you’ve been here a while, you can probably appreciate @pesik’s analysis. It’s not always puppies and rainbows because he calls it like he sees it, and for the most part, he’s spot on. That said, I had to leave the football board because if you pointed out anything as a concern, you were attacked unmercifully for being a bad fan. I really hope that doesn’t happen on the basketball board too. End of PSA. Go Coogs!

8 Likes

The basketball board is my safe place. Lol, the football board is the same as the basketball board. Need proof, follow any BB game thread where we get behind
Anyway about the scrimmage. How did Edwards get so many open shots? Sounds like he’ll be this year’s Grimes.
Heard a lot about athleticism of this team, were we running more?

2 Likes

You realize you just put the Jinx on right?

1 Like

Knocked on wood, so we’re good lol

1 Like

Fabian White was setting a lot of screens that led to Walker and Edwards getting open looks (although at least one of Edwards’ makes was over a tough double-contest). The white team was also doing a good job of moving the ball quickly and finding open players. Shead, especially, looked good in how he managed the pace of the game.

4 Likes

Spoke to a player after the scrimmage he said they didn’t in fact beat Texas in the secret scrimmage, I was happy lol