Regional Projections (5/21)

Bingo. Plenty of chances this year…was saying it all season.

2 Likes

Alright Coach’s Whitting. Time to work your magic and get a hitting coach and step up recruiting.

3 Likes

Duke lost 8 out of last 11 and we had a lower RPI and they made it .TCU should not have made it either. but we get what we deserve to many losses to bad teams this year

In the big picture can’t be too upset about getting left out given all the chances we didn’t take.

Still, TCU, FSU and Duke getting in is pretty lousy.

3 Likes

It’s time for Todd to make some big changes…I’m confident he will.

A huge Thank You to those young men that have reached the end of their baseball journey or are moving onto the next step in it. You’ve represented the University and the game well, much appreciated…bravo, job well done !

2 Likes

I feel bad for the coogs as these young men have worked very hard but nevertheless, they had some good regular season wins and I am confident that our leadership will make the right changes and adjustments and will see improvement. On the bright side, three of our conference mates made it which include Cincinnati’s first time making the postseason since 1974.

1 Like

That d@## ACC bias played into that! The Froggies won a few late and we did have some bad losses!

If an entire team gets sick and has to be quarantined we’re in. Right?

I did want to say a few, or a bunch of words about the state of SOME of today’s college players. Back in the 90’s when select baseball got to Houston I was very fortunate to get in on the ground floor with my son. He played for the top programs and we enjoyed a lot of success. Winning was huge in our minds, we wanted to be the best. Early on we learned to avoid the “Money Grabbing, gonna get your kids to the pros” programs. We were very fortunate to find guys like Sid Holland and Darwin Pennye. Those guys along with Dean Crow taught our kids the game within the game. Baseball smarts was both expected and demanded. Then Select became showcase, individual success became more important than team success.The results of that mentality are starting to show. Kids today are better mechanically than yesterdays. They are better prepared to advance to higher levels. That said, they play so much to showcase their individual talent that, IMO, they have loss some of the ability and desire to rely on, or pick up their team mates. I see some of that in this years Coogs, we used to say how tough it is on HS Coaches to get through to guys whose parents have invested some much time and $ on lessons and travel." Our select coach say he should do this, he doesn’t teach that way"etc Now that has crept into the college ranks. They get these kids that are really good so while on one hand they don’t have to build as much as tweak, a slight adjustment here or there keeps the guys right. They do have a much tougher job instilling baseball smarts,(the number of mental errors just wears me out) building team unity, the kind where players sacrifice individual accomplishment for team success. Coaches that can do this are a cut above the rest and their programs consistently win. I believe Coach W is the kind of coach that can mold individuals into a team, not so much this year,but he has in the past. I hope he instills into next years bunch an enthusiasm and an immense desire to win beyond individual success (which, ironically is an important key to winning baseball). I was lucky enough to play for Wayne Graham back in my HS summer ball. He always told us that you’ve got to Hate Losing more than You Love Winning. Go Coogs!`

3 Likes

n/a

2 Likes

When you get in an organization that has talent AND great team chemistry, it’s a thing of beauty. The $$$ballers and DaddyBall groups get exposed REAL quick. When Select first came on line it was just the best of the best playing. Once it was seen as a Cash Cow the flood gates opened. I could write a book on it these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know I’ve brought this up a million times. And I hate to hang the whole season on one decision, but I think we sweep Cincy if we had just let Lockhart finish the inning on that Thursday game. Given Devo another half inning to warm up, we would have won that game.

1 Like

The “what ifs” were numerous this year

2 Likes