Remember King

It should a huge red flag when people with the most information are not happy about the hire. Unfortunately, coaches in Dana’s current situation rarely dig themselves out of these holes. It is just one excuse after another until the school and boosters just can’t take it any more and pay the buyout.

2 Likes

By boosters…you mean Tilman?

2 Likes

How do you know who is not happy and at what level of info they have?

1 Like

Are you talking about 2008 to 2009 UH players?

As a first time young OC at UH, Dana was known to be a bit cocky, he rubbed some people the wrong way and quite the partier around town for which he made a lot of Houston based friends he maintains today and which helped bring him back here.

That was more than 10 years ago. Who cares what his players said over 10 years ago when they played for him, irrelavent to whether he would be successful at UH today. He has changed a lot since then. People change. Hell, some thought he should have been HC then if Sumlin left, He wasn’t mature enough. But Dana’s offense kicked #5 OSU butt in Stillwater when they thought they might be national champs after beating top dog’ GA the week before. Gundy knew he had to have some of Dana after that game in Stillwater. Dana out schemed them all day with his misdirection flowing Air Raid offense and made OSU look foolish.

Rhodes Scholar Oliver Luck brought him to WVU thinking enough of Dana’s abilities to go from OC at OSU to HC at WVU. Luck made the right decision then and Tilman made the right decision two years ago. But we must give him time to build back a badly depleted program from 2018.

2008 UH Offensive Performane = #10 in the Country:

2009 UH Offensive Performance = #2 in the Country

3 Likes

I want those plays called again. The delayed draws and poorly executed screens are just killing me.

That was some psychedelic stuff man…

Dad gum, I thought “special team” play looked a bit better as well . . . . .

Most thoughtful and analytical comment I have seen on Coogfans . . . . .

3 Likes

The class of 2017 was the year Herman raided the recruiting class. Applewhite’s first full recruiting class had four offensive linemen. His second, before he was fired, already had three verbal commits on the O-line.

Who cares?

True, Herman did raid some of that 2017 class, but not all, many went other directions also and if was one of the primary reasons Major was justified for the position was to hold the recruiting class together since he had been here for two years recruiting most of those kids and he had the HS coaches relationships.

2016 - We had four OL recruits, but only one was on the team in 2020 in Braylon Jones

2017 Dennis Bardwell OL - our only OL recruit in 2017 - at least he was still on the team in 2020

It is our biggest hole regardless of how we got here.

Major brought in 4 in 2018
Dana brough in 6 in 2019 and had to boot the kid from UCLA
Dana brought in 5 in 2020

I would anticipate we’ll continue to concentrate on the OL considering it is our biggest weakness just like our defense had been our biggest weakness going back 3 years until 2020 when we jumped from 119 in 2018 (pretty pathetic) and 113 in 2019 to a remarkable improvment all the way up to number 58 in the nation. We are going to continue to get better on defense going forward.

God I hope not. I know that family isn’t thinking that.

CoogTurd

I was just responding to a poster making statements that two former players when he was OC weren’t excited about the hire. I would expect that current players will support their coach. However like any football program, if we have another year like the last two things are going to get ugly with boosters, on message boards and lack of fan support.

The good news is transfers don’t have to sit out a year so it’s possible bringing in a bunch can make a difference. But dramatic improvement is not going to happen without dramatic improvement on offense, especially QB play. We were only 54 in the country in total offense and also ranked 95th in country in turnovers lost. (And think about how many games we didn’t even play).

1 Like

He’s going to have better stats than Case by the time he’s done! Ha