Renu Statement

I don’t think it’s screwing the kids over any more than firing any coach. For every coach that gets fired there is always a freshman class that has to deal with it.

1 Like

Even with a decent coach, having a good season next year would be difficult with the schedule we have. There’s no way this dude is going to have any success. We’d better start the search now because he’s not going to be able to escape the inevitable. Need to have the next one on speed dial.

2 Likes

I recall someone crunching the numbers on the amount of revenue lost with all the empty seats during the last year Levine coached. The point was well-made showing millions of dollars lost since we only averaged 15-16,000 for most games. Lots of empty seats equals lots of lost revenue. The point being, if we’re talking about money then we can’t afford to retain Applewhite. If we’re concerned about recruiting, thats always an issue with coaching changes. However, I’d rather cut our losses now than suffer through another year of this crap while watching the program go down the gutter. A new coaching staff will bring in their own recruits and hopefully run a system that’s successful.

1 Like

What is our overall bowl record?

There are reasons why we are not P5.

UH needs to think differently when it comes to “continuity”. Our version should be one that manages and prepares for the next best so we can continue to grow and break through the barrier. This current hire is setting us back for who know how many years.

A full house brings in 6 million per game. No more excuses.

4 Likes

I agree completely with delmarred’s post and I’ve been going to UH games since the 1980’s. I’ve never seen a team so unprepared for a game and so many bad coaching decisions. Why wait to make a change especially with all the lost revenue from even more empty seats next year.

3 Likes

If you could fire him today, with whom would you replace him?

Season ticket holder for 26 years and I’m not going to give my UH resume but I’ve earned the right to have my opinion. If you need another year of Applewhite to see he’s not the answer then have YOU been watching the games? The regulars will be there, unfortunately this program needs the bandwagon riders that come out when we’re winning and they jumped ship a while back.

6 Likes

Good eye, Sherlock :beers:

Lol

The only thing in Applewhite’s control was the DC. He can’t control injuries. I read somewhere that the buyout this year is closer to $2M. Another thing Applewhite can control is the culture of our program. Something we are severly lacking. That culture extends out to the donors, season ticket holders, and casual fans. I know we all hate him, but Tom Herman excelled at creating a great culture. EVERYBODY was talking about us. We were constantly on ESPN. Casual football fans were talking UH. It was great! Applewhite destroyed all of that. It happened before all of the injuries. It happened before 70-14. That loss of culture, brand awareness, goodwill, whatever you want to call it is worth WAY more than $2M. If I were king, I’d fire him Wednesday. You can’t fire people on Christmas…you just can’t. Or New Year’s Eve Bud Adams…I digress…

5 Likes

I cannot see anyway Renu keeps Applequitter. To do so would say I accept mediocrity. That’s not in her dictionary

1 Like

Depends on who decides to reach out to us. If the list of candidates is solid, they’ll make a move.

Otherwise, we wait a year and hope for the best.

3 Likes

Why do they have to reach out to us we should be burning up the phone lines calling people

1 Like

Think your right, all depends on who Pez really wants

Pez talks to agents; they know that we might be looking. Question is who would be willing to come.

1 Like

I think we’ll get decent candidates with Deriq King at the helm

it’s an Ed-less defense I’m worried about

Ed was a once-in-a-generation defensive player. Hopefully potential DCs aren’t looking at his absence as a reason to not come here.

While losing Ed sucks, I think the DL will be just fine without him going forward with the right coach. We’re losing Jerard Carter as well, but Isaiah Chambers will be back, along with Payton Turner, Logan Hall (who played every game as a true freshman this year), Blake Young and Aymeil Fleming are bringing back some experience, and recent recruiting for that position has been good. As everyone and their mother has pointed out, the secondary is going to be the issue. We’ll need a grad transfer or JUCO transfer or 2 to help out there. Hopefully some of the young guys will be ready to play sooner than later.

All that to say, if we can find the right coach, we’re going to be ok defensively. If we hire an OC who doesn’t have a ton of success with the offense next year, this extremely positive guy is going to lose a lot of hope!

Here’s the more telling question: Has Pez put the coordinator searches on full stop? If so we’re likely getting a change.

2 Likes

I think there is talent on our defensive line but we are far from being ok based on the Army game.

1 Like

The program is in a tailspin at present. There is no option but to make a change. Sometimes change, no matter how painful is necessary. Applewhite is done here, even if he’s here in 2019 its Dead Man Walking…why prolong it ? cut bait and move on

7 Likes