Rice stadium gets new name

2 Likes

How much is Rice getting?

What a brilliant strategy to ward off a takeover attempt by TDECU.

1 Like

Not a joke.

Because of the timing.
I thought “Archive X” Stadium ?
Goofy but on brand.

A TV/ documentary series that premiered today on AMC.
Its about Rice University’s “Center for the Impossible”.

Financial terms were not disclosed…

If I were an owl, I’d be so bummed about this. Basically the entire appeal of Rice Stadium is its history. JFK didn’t speak at First Community Credit Union Stadium.

4 Likes

Cant always be a historical marker if its a dump. The should have done renovations atleast to the concessions or restrooms. Put some seats in. Something

dude that happened like 60 years ago, no one cares about that when there’s big money on the table

3 Likes

is there big money on the table? they just said it was “one of the most lucrative” naming rights deals in the G5, but didn’t actually disclose terms. Surely advertising to Rice’s dozens of fans can’t actually be worth even the ~$1MM/year UNT is getting, right?

[Astrodome laughing in the distance]

4 Likes

I think at this point, they’ll want all the money they can get

“Additionally, the stadium capacity will diminish from 47,000 to 30,000”

1 Like

Owls are following the trend of smaller but nicer with next renovation.

Also, the Rice Village is about to explode. In December, Hanover is building a mixed use 24 story tower on Greenbrier at University. There are also plans for a high rise office and apartment tower on Kirby. A 15 story condo tower is topped out on Rice Blvd and over 80% pre sold.

It’s already congested enough in the area - the road infrastructure isn’t there to support that kind of growth and you have a giant Methodist facility going in just west of Kirby where the old Coca Cola bottling facility was.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s bad for cars. I lived 8 blocks away though so easy walk and Rice is adding a greenway to connect campus to the Village as well. Apparently graduate housing is being added near the old Gingerman too.

I kinda miss old school RV with Gingerman, Texadelphia, Two Rows, Woodrow’s. It’s getting more high end and national chains.

6 Likes

Exactly, T-Moar. The history of old Rice Stadium and all the games played there is about all they have left, these days. And now thats gone, too. I can only imagine what their alums who played football for Rice must think…

Brian O’neill’s, Sherlocks, Two Rows, Bronx Bar, Mi Luna…the good ol’ days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Saw many a great game there, from high school championships to fledgling pro team and tons of other stuff that went on like bands, cheer squads, etc. My dad helped build the place -like so many others in this town. Yeah kids, its not an iphone-but the memories for some of us will live forever.

1 Like

Capacity went from 70k from its opening in 1950 to 47k to eventually 30k. In addition to the famous JFK speech, it also hosted Super Bowl VIII. I was there at the game where we beat them 64-0 and Andre won the Heisman in the locker room. They are doing the right thing by downsizing although I doubt they’ll be able to fill it at 30k unless they host us again.

1 Like

No better place to throw darts than the G-Man, and TwoRows wood-fired pizzas and queso were next level.

2 Likes