Rice wants to prove its best in Houston

Tired of being in UH shadow. Rice thinks this is the year.

4 Likes

They think that every year. This year, they might be right.

3 Likes

Hope this is motivation for our players. Almost bulletin board material

1 Like

Ha. Our backups will get some quality playing time in this one.

5 Likes

I bet only Coogfans have clicked on that link

1 Like

Their fans are feeling pretty good right now

We win this easily. Dana goes home and slams a few Red Bulls and Vodka in the pool before heading downtown with the H-town mafia and life is good in Houston. Book it.

5 Likes

Great motivation, Dana needs to beat Rice so he can still show up to the local bars

5 Likes

I do have a feeling that Rice’s move to the AAC will awaken their program.

We are going to have to work if we wan to stay a head of the UTSA, SMU and Rice’s of the world- they are all making investments in their football programs.

We seriously need to consider if Dana is the leader we want for the next 5 years. This is not a joke- it is a very important decision.

7 Likes

The extension says yes

4 Likes

Always let rice hang around in the first half too

1 Like

It would be a miracle if Rice could become a Tulane.

1 Like

32-11

I was hosting the Rice coaching staff during the Texas Bowl (Rice’s only bowl victory this century). Bailiff asked “how do I know you?” I told him “Coach, when we were handing you the Bayou Bucket Trophy, I was the guy who wouldn’t let go”.
“Oh, so you’re a Cougar?” When I said yes, all the coaches started talking smack. I replied “Guys, guys, wait a minute, I like for Rice to win the trophy every 5 or 6 years”.
“Oh, yeah, why is that?”
“Well, somebody’s got to polish the son of a bicth”

Then the smack talk went full bore, the rest of the night. Lot of fun.

15 Likes

Dana wants to win this so he can sit by his pool with a can of RB, the bayou bucket trophy, and act like he did something.

8 Likes

IF Rice wanted to commit themselves to being competitive in Athletics, I think they could probably be AAC contenders within a decade. There’s nothing SMU or Tulane has that they can’t have. But their administration has made it obvious over the last several generations that they have no desire to even approach relevance in either of the revenue sports. They’ve even let their baseball program flounder worse than we have at this point. Rice sports are a vanity project, kept alive merely to say that they’re there. They’re the old sportscar in the garage that you think about selling every now and then before you talk yourself into believing that one day you’ll get it running like new. That is to say, I think going to the AAC could spark some life into Rice Football, but it won’t.

3 Likes

They have a new, pro-athletics President. They are actively fundraising

1 Like

Yep all five of them

2 Likes

Rice keeps moving up despite all this. The aac might be the 6th best league and they moved up just bc of location so it’s funny how they keep moving up despite all they lack.

We can’t complain bc we got into the big 12 bc of location and Tillman/ Khator

So it’s location of actual substance in rice’s case.

1 Like

It’s not just geographic location – if anything, their university’s academic reputation and network have been more important to them. They’re a small private school that offers elite academics, which is exactly the kind of school that Tulane and Tulsa and SMU want to have their brand name appear next to every time a commercial for the conference airs.

Realignment decisions are made by University Presidents.

1 Like