Sampson article on AM&P

At the time I posted this, that site (AMP) tweeted this four hours ago, and it’s only been retweeted once and has zero likes.

It’s either kind of odd or the people of Arkansas aren’t very excited.

1 Like

Foster’s situation was totally different. UH had an interim AD (Ford) who had no idea how to manage the department. He and Foster met on some roadside cafe midway between Beaumont and Houston. It was totally amateurish. Not a serious interview. Just Ford grabbing someone with a name UH fans were familiar with.

For his part Foster was good - but not great. One of his coaches once shared with me that he pretty much saw his job as to win 20 games a year and go home. The tournament really wasn’t on his radar, which probably accounts for UH’s mediocre performance after the regular season.

Now, Foster is irrelevant to the issue at hand. We’re probably not helping our cause with all this speculation, which he and Kellen can follow by the way.

I think we keep a lid on it until something real becomes clear. However, given what UH fans have suffered through its totally predictable there would be some panic in the ranks. Sampson should know this. He knows our history as well as our hopes and aspirations. If he does leave I personally will feel betrayed. And pissed off.

Yes, he like Herman has made a big splash. Got the basketball program back on the radar and given all of us something to get excited about. But UH did Sampson a big as well. He was Kryptonite before UH hired him. He’s pretty much used UH to cleanse his reputation. Cuts both ways. But he hasn’t left and that’s all I have to add at this time.

1 Like

They have 3,500 Twitter followers. No one probably taking their report that seriously. With as on edge as everyone is your thread title seems to imply more weight to the source than is deserved.

He wasn’t kryptonite. Wazzu and other schools wanted him when his show cause expired.

You just made my case. There will always be schools that want any coach who can win. In Sampson’s case there probably a number of lower echelon programs. UH was dead in the water when he came along. The difference is we were willing to put money into the program. I’m not sure any of the other programs were prepared to do that - at least not to the extent UH did.

I didn’t start this thread, and would have only if it was from a good news source.

2 Likes

The only reason Kelvin couldn’t strike a deal with UH is if we are refusing to have his son as a head coach in waiting. So it wouldn’t make sense for us to let him leave because we refuse to give that concession then turn around and hire his son anyway. lol

My b. I misunderstood your post. Just transfer it to 09Frontiersman.

1 Like

Why do you say that’s the only reason we might not be able to agree on a deal?

Wazzu is a really, really tough place to win, but it’s still P5 (not to mention that he was one of the people who won there). He also was the lead assistant with the Rockets when he came here and actually probably would have gotten a shot at the HC job had the same events transpired with McHale getting fired 5 games into the next season.

And don’t forget, he stuck with us last year instead of chasing an NBA job, which only 30 guys in the world have at one time.

I’m still slightly optimistic he stays based on all the player quotes.

What’s the Admin’s argument for not giving him that designation? Why the hesitance?

If he were staying, I feel like it would’ve been announced by now. The more this drags out, the worse it is for UH.

He was quoted when he first took the job that his intention was to prepare his son to be a head coach. He said in a post game interview this year that he believes that he could hand over the program to his son right now and the program wouldn’t miss a beat.

If it was only about money, we either have it or we don’t. The deal would already be done or he would have already given the team the news he isn’t sticking around. That leaves the negotiation that has been rumored since last year that he wants his son to be given the chance of continuing what he built if he is going to stay any longer. The details of how much longer Kelvin will stay, where he plans to go when he leaves and how long of a contract his son would be guaranteed is most likely the issue now.

It could be as simple as us offering 3 years to Kellen after 5 more years of Kelvin and Kelvin wants 5 years guaranteed for Kellen if Kelvin stays 3 more years.

He may leave, but I ain’t hitchin’ my wagon to amppob.com.

And your thread title is an ahole move. Pretty on point for you.

3 Likes

It’s only been 24 hours, man. Whether he’s staying or whether he’s going, he has a contract to negotiate. That’s going to take at least a day or two.

I’d say give Kellen 4yrs guaranteed no matter how long Kelvin stays as long as it’s no less than 3 more years.

That said. If these are the narrow particulars of the negotiation that’re holding things up (provided money and program support are already ironed out) then the Admin should acquiesce to whatever stipulations Kelvin wants in this regard.

I live in Northwest Arkansas. It is beautiful here, the cost of living is near the lowest in the country, not that it would make a difference to coach making a few million a year. I sure he would enjoy the LOWER humidity here! The Arkansas fanbase is incredible due in part that Arkansas basketball and football are all we really have. We are thirsting to get back into the basketball conversation. Sampson could be like a God here. I watched Houston play Kentucky last night. You guys have a great team to be proud of. I thought you were going to win it until the refs jumped in and stole it from you like they do every time anyone plays Kentucky. If we get Sampson, and I 100% believe we will but I will say no more as I was banned last time I said the exact same thing that the OP started this thread with. If I am wrong and Sampson stays then obviously your school has fought hard for one helluva a great coach. I will probably even be new Cougar fan myself after what I see against Kentucky.

I can’t believe this thread has legs. That article has no more information than Matt Musil’s crappily timed report. There was another tweet from an earlier troll saying the same things. The kids say he’s staying, CKS said he’ll talk to Houston first. Unless it’s Berman, Duarte or UH admin, I’m not believing anything

1 Like