Semi-OT: Hurts and Mahomes

Mahomes was recruited and offered by Levine, Hurts was offered and recruited by Herman.

Both actually looked into playing here, in Mahomes’ case we were one of his best offers coming outta HS but not being P5 at the time is what hurt us. (No pun intended) Hurts had taken an unofficial visit here.

Both wanted to play at UT like most other kids but UT offered neither of them. UT wanted Mahomes to potentially walk-on and play safety. UT thought Buechele was the better prospect over Hurts.

Both were told to switch positions but they stuck to their guns and look at them now.

Amazing to think in an alternate universe had we gone to the Big 12 in 96, we could have had them back to back.

9 Likes

Thank you for posting. I am looking from another angle.
THINK ABOUT WHAT WE CAN NOW DO

I mentioned it numerous times. We have the potential to be an Alabama or what Miami was in their heydays.

6 Likes

UT and trying to get elite QBs to switch to safety, name a more iconic duo

4 Likes

Except for Colt, UT’s history with QBs is pretty abysmal.

Add Andre Ware to the list

3 Likes

Andrew Luck was at UT’s camp and was also told to look elsewhere since they had already chosen Garrett Gilbert for the following year.

1 Like

Mahomes & Hurts back in the day…

https://twitter.com/dctf/status/1620080214629056512

2 Likes

Wasn’t Manziel another guy they wanted to make a safety?

Drew Brees and he was in their backyard lol

Lol no we don’t

We need to win a conference championship before making that kind of claim

Yep. They told Manziel to look elsewhere if we wanted to play qb.

Another one. I believe Brees said UT told him he was too short to be a D1 qb.

2 Likes

Mahomes also wanted to play baseball - not sure if that was on the table here, but that was a big part of him choosing Tech.

What is funny about it?
By our geographical location the sky is the limit for us. I could care less if you think it is funny.

Bama has more National Championships than UH has Bowl Wins. They’re the most dominant football blue blood in the country and we’re (optimistically) third fiddle in our own state.

1 Like

Did you even read my post?
For the first time since our independent days we don’t have the madcowsu keeping us down.
madcowsu never expected that the BIG12 WOULD survive and INVITE U of H.
In the pre SWC days we were on the verge of becoming a major National powerhouse. 2023 is back to the future of these times. Sky is the limit for us.

Very UT thing to do.

What a joke.

Claiming that we have the potential to be Saban-era Alabama, arguably the greatest college football run in college football history, is a very bold statement.

Alabama gets elite recruits, yes, but Alabama is also Alabama because of… well… Saban. By your standard, Texas should be in the playoffs every year but they aren’t. So should TAMU.

Just because we are in Houston doesn’t give us any entitlement to recruits or championships. All the pieces have to fall in line. Recruiting, coaching, fan support, culture, etc. pretty much everything that Alabama consistently excels at and 90% of other schools do not.

Entitlement?
Did I ever write that?

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago talking about the death of Mike Leach and how he changed not only college football, but football in general. You can argue that because of Mike Leach, Patrick Mahomes, Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Dak Prescott, Baker Mayfield, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel and even Lamar Jackson are all NFL QBs. He completely changed what it meant to be a QB and thus, who people believed could do it. Sitting in the pocket and checking down is out; quick throws, movement behind the line, speed and athleticism are now the norm. Rob Johnson, Bryon Leftwich and Kerry Collins need not apply.

It was Leach who gave Mahomes a scholarship to play QB at TTU. It was a Leach acolyte, Holgerson, who made Keenum into an all time great college QB and a decent pro QB; heck, Geno Smith just had an all pro season with the Seahawks. Lincoln Riley played for Leach, and Holgerson, Briles, Josh Heupel, and Ruffin McNeil all coached under him.

1 Like