Serious Question: Why is the defense so bad?

Coaching, lack of talent, injuries…what is the problem?

Secondary needs upgrading and need to get more pressure on the QB. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

We play zone defense and they just run to holes in the zone. Quick throws by the QB have beaten us all year.

Mmmm…yes.

8 Likes

D’Anthony Jones, Nwankwo, Bankston, Caesar, Mutin, Green, Hypolite, Owens.

Our defense should not be this bad. I don’t care what excuses you have.

9 Likes

But why is it soooo different from last year?

1 Like

Belk isn’t that good at recruiting, coaching, developing, and/or adjusting.

6 Likes

Secondary has been this bad all season. Just took this long for opponents to understand that and plan to exploit it.

2 Likes

But, seriously, if your DC is such a hotshot recruiter why is this even an issue? We don’t play against SEC offenses. We are arguably one of the worst major conferences.

4 Likes

My best guess is players lost from last year, injuries, and overall lack of depth.

2 Likes

All of the above. Coaching leaves a lot to be desired, the secondary is really bad, injures have been a problem, and we can’t tackle.

4 Likes

We lost no one out of the safety room.

We lost Jones and Williams. Brought back everyone else. And added Moses Alexander.

Not sure how our secondary could have been THIS bad.

2 Likes

Every team in the country turns over 25-35% of their team every season. Every team has injuries. You either develop your players or you don’t. You either recruit well or not. Lets just say Belk is fine as DC as long as his entire platoon are seniors.

6 Likes

Other than that we are pretty good :smile:

You can overcome some, not all, of an athletic and talent disadvantage with discipline and good fundamentals.

1 Like

Worst defense in Coog history

11 Likes

Hogan was injured and Green was hobbled, but, yeah, I’m not sure our injuries have been substantially worse than most teams.

Possibly. We were also terrible in 1994. Out of 107 schools, we were #103 in scoring defense, #100 in total defense. We finished 1-10.

1 Like

Your correct. There is talent. It has to be coaching/motivation. The question for Belk/Dana is how can they be that bad. Worse than Coach NoD.

2 Likes

Hogan wasn’t exactly great out there when he was playing.

1 Like