SHIPLEY DO NUTS CEO | WHY UH?

If I had the financial resources, I’d open a Dunkin Donuts at UH. I was sitting with some students back in 2012 before I graduated and some of them asked why we didn’t have Dunkin Donuts down here being they were from up north. A light bulb went off in my head! We have many students not from Texas and a Dunkin on the UH campus would rake in the cash. Plus there coffee is just as good as Starbucks and less the price.

1 Like

They recently open a combo Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins on Ella down the street from Shipleys. Not sure how they are doing, but seems like a good concept for campus.

For me, donuts from Shipleys and coffee from DD.

1 Like

One of the major joys of getting my driver’s license back in the day in high school was being able to drive to Shipleys (in Stafford) every morning. It was really awesome because if I would take friends they would pay for me. :rofl:

In December of 1984, the Shipley on Bissonnet, across from Bayland Park, burned. It was out of commission for months. I was a night shift HPD patrolman, and that store was my “office.” I swear I lost 25 pounds.

9 Likes

That’s the same one we went to after church. I grew up on Chimney Rock and Braeswood.

They used to host the coach’s show at Ragin Cajun near midtown.

1 Like

Did you ever go to Zinanties deli on Hillcroft?

2 Likes

Yes! It was family favorite. Was so sad when they closed. Loved that place.

That is it my Coogs, the East Coast Coog Fam is coming to H-Town for Thanksgiving! All this food talk has made me homesick. I will eat myself into oblivion (before Turkey Day :wink:).

4 Likes

When the kids were little we would stop there to pick up po-boys to eat at the dome. Still miss that place.

3 Likes

I know the family lived around the corner in the neighborhood behind that little strip center they were in. Such a nice family.

THANK YOU! We lived in Connecticut for a few years and Dunkin was everywhere. Nary a starbucks by our old apartment. I’m a cold brew guy and I would put DD’s cold brew against any American coffee brand. Their donuts are so dry that you need the coffee to wash it down. Shipleys for the win! Plus the Earl Campbell kolaches at the Shipleys on Richmond in the Galleria area are really good!

My wife is from Central America and I’ve learned how good coffee is from that region. We tend to bring back large check-in bags with coffee when we visit. If you are interested in trying a great coffee from her area, there’s an importer in Tomball (Copan Coffee Roasters) that comes with my highest recommendation.

5 Likes

I love me some Shipley, but they also need to up their Kolache game. Having to go to two stores for Saturday breakfast sucks.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m a coffee-connoisseur, but I am able to detect different tastes of coffee (perhaps I have more taste buds than the average person? idk). But one thing I can say is that Houston has an amazing selection of coffee shops to choose from.

Just got back from a nostalgic visit on Campus, and the new location for Cougar Grounds is huge & amazing! Definitely makes me wanna stay there and lounge…looks very upscale and artisanal with a college twist.

Will have to try the Copan Coffee tho, it looks good.

1 Like

Yeah DD coffee is delicious. Their donuts are decent, but not as good as Shipley’s (or even Southern Maid).

There is a reason for this: in the Northeast, what they call donuts are really cake donuts (also called “fry cakes”). Its not the fried delicious sugar glazed beauty that we are used to. Now personally I love cake donuts, but it isn’t the same.

In fact, in the Northeast, they call glazed donuts “honey dipped”, which makes little sense because they don’t have any honey.

Yankees!! :laughing:

3 Likes

Facts! When I was in Michigan and they brought in donuts, they were always cake donuts. Unfortunately they have a habit of putting too many toppings in them though. The family now only gets cake donuts but we like a simple chocolate glaze or sugar glaze on them.

True…spent my early years in Michigan. Cake donuts and apple cider in the fall was a ritual. Think they made them dry just to sell more cider.

2 Likes

Yes they need to make some breakfast tacos.

1 Like

And get rid of those hotdogs they call Kolaches.

2 Likes

Yeah, their glazed donuts are the best but their kolaches need some work.

1 Like