Shot

Exactly. If we show up offensively, I think we can win by 10-15. They threw the kitchen sink at us today and we still won.

1 Like

This is true. This team is way better than the first Memphis team coached by Penny. That team tried to get by on talent alone. I haven’t watched Memphis this season, but I think he like a lot of other coaches in the AAC are trying to copy Sampson’s method of team building.

Not if you foul him when he gets the ball with his back to the basket. He had two guys draped on him when he turned, took a giant step and shot.
There comes a point in that transaction when you step away but they had time to foul him before he twisted around.
Letting a guy take a bounce pass at mid court is pretty dumb to begin with.
But that’s basketball and for once we had some luck on our side.

1 Like

Vote!

http://www.hoophallawards.com/men/vote.php

2 Likes

There was a defender on Sasser
 He just made an AWESOME pass!

If they foul then we get the ball at half court. Why give us an easier pass?

1 Like

So what if there is little or no time. Simply bad coaching in our favor. There was 1.7 seconds left so how much time goes off the clock when Mark gets the ball?
Did Memphis even realize they had a foul to give?

If Memphis had stayed in its full court press or spread the defense that pass would not have happened. But it turned out that Sass made a great pass before the two MU defenders could get there.

Memphis didn’t have any time outs remaining. They had to scramble to try to align and cover our guys

They actually did a decent job, but Sasser and Mark were better.

:boom::boom::boom:

2 Likes

I agree but those two defenders immediately were on him and by a miracle Mark got the shot off
one for the ages

Not much if you have to make sure he is not shooting. I still don’t see how that is helpful, too many things could go wrong, foul during a shot in a tie game would be way worse than any good outcome that foul provides.

We will just agree to disagree coach! But we both loved the outcome!

1 Like

CKS called time out to set up play. Memphis had plenty of time to set up their Defense imo.

4 Likes

So explain something to me. I understand a foul to give, but if Mark had been fouled in the act of shooting, it wouldn’t have resulted in FTs?

2 Likes

I thought they set up the right one. I don’t think it helps to foul there. They had everyone covered and a big guy making the pass hard for Sasser. He went under which was an amazing pass to make. I think Dejon was supposed to be further away from Mark so the double team doesn’t happen.

I saw pennys post game press conference and he said he told his players that they had two fouls to give and that they planned on fouling but he guesses his two players were playing it safe.

1 Like

Wow. So l lost that one, Penny actually wanted to foul. That’s weird to me

That just shows fouling is the wrong decision. :joy:

4 Likes

Yes. The whole point would have been to foul immediately after he got the ball with his back turned to the bucket. If they foul as time goes down and no shot then game over.
Like someone else said the defenders were probably tentative to foul period

Thanks, Butch. I’m guessing even if he was fouled in the act of shooting, the refs might not have called the foul with tenths of second left knowing the game would have resulted in OT.

1 Like