SMU gets commitment from #2 Dual Threat QB in 2021

Case Keenum played at a small 3A school…

Colt McCoy played at Jim Ned which was a small 2A when he played there…

Let’s be honest, if this kid had committed to UH you’d be singing a different tune.

6 Likes

It’s kind of embarrassing for those bluebloods UT, LSU, USC and Penn State whose hats were still left on the table. I know UT is getting ready to make a call to the NCAA to get SMU on probation. :smile:

Not too crazy about the Johnny Manziel comparison. Hopefully he won’t have his personality.
2 Likes

Looks like Preston is trying to start a hometown wave of top athletes going to SMU. A version of H-Town Takeover.
https://twitter.com/_ParkerStone/status/1213650184032464897?s=09

1 Like

Daniel Spencer played at 2A (at the time) Grandview and I recall he did just fine at UH.

Current starting LB Zamar Kirven played at Mart (which also sent the Cosby brothers to UT among others they put in college) who is supposed to be classified as 6 man but gets to play in 2A because the football program is heavily supported by the community and enough suit up to play.

The list goes on and on. Many UH players over the years have come from small schools and did just fine at the next level.

If SMU coach stays there for a while and continue winning and we resurrect our winning ways this year, this Dallas vs Houston thing could actually become a genuine rivalry.

SMU already considers us as rivals and we have lots of people here who hate SMU, therefore a true rivalry might be ready to ignite.

3 Likes

Max preps have them as the 11th best team in Texas and the 44th in the country. A private school of about 1400 according to google. Funny thing about private schools is they recruit talent and offer scholarships. Great player at a crappy school in the ghetto, come down to private school and play football for us. Ask Strake and episcopal here in Houston.

I’ve looked at his highlight film and the teams they played against were awful. I’m pretty old and I feel like I can run through those defenses.

I assume schools are looking at his potential.

Looking at his film, I lean towards the competition not being great which really helps his running clips. Not saying he’s not very talented, here sure looks like he is a talented player. It looks like he has a good arm to go with some solid wheels. So he may not be VY or RG3, but he looks like a great pickup for the ponies.

In his film, he shows exceptional quickness.

For those who say it is weak competition ( and it very well may be), would y’all take him on the Coogs?

We offered him like everybody else did so yes.

1 Like

I can kind of see the manziel comparisons in him. But we’ll see what he really is made of. Kyle Allen was rated as the number 1 QB in the nation coming out high school and his college career was so-so.

Strake Jesuit plays in UIL 6A though.

3 Likes

My point is that they are not zoned. The first few years they were in they could only play zoned players in district play, but have adjusted that since.

I don’t see how that is fair for public schools when private schools like them can recruit their players and offer scholarships.

2 Likes

Who said it was fair? Lol.

2 Likes

With all the crap UIL puts on public schools, I don’t see how that is even allowed. Anyways, it was still fun beating the crap out of those two schools when I was playing baseball back in the day.

Because their academics are so high, not every player can make it at Strake Jesuit. Jesuit doesn’t have any programs for remedial students, so there are no easy classes to take. That right there pretty much limits their “recruiting.”

I think there are still ways to get around that. Just as Rice baseball will make sure they get the players they want into their school.

1 Like

I remember posters on this board being psyched about a kid from Refugio HS. That’s a 2A school, isn’t it?