SMU gets commitment from #2 Dual Threat QB in 2021

Yep. Jaylon Mascorro. I remember he decomitted from UH because he thought he was getting P5 offers but ended up at New Mexico State and flamed out.

3 Likes

2021 is a long time. Itll be up to the rest of the teams in the AAC to make sure he changes his mind. Here’s to the donkeys having the worst record in the conference next year!

Of course!!! i just happen to HATE SMU! Never gonna get me to say anything good about them…

1 Like

Don’t worry Monte, I will never, ever try to get you to say anything good about SMU.

Guys, you’re missing the point. He just left four p5 ball caps on that table like urine-soaked cornflakes. Who cares how good he is.

PS - I would have gone to USC…just for the chicks.

2 Likes

all it takes is coaching consistency, but that consistency has to be good. We’ll be back in due time coogs

Happy for SMU. It’s good for the conference, and for our SOS when we beat them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, its one of the top HS here in Dallas area. They attract some of the top guys in the area in all sports, golf, football etc. While they may seem like just a church school, they are on the level of the Plano’s etc. I live in Plano and they can play with anyone.

2 Likes

I’m sure they are good in golf and tennis, but how do we know they are as good as you say if they do not play football against 5A and 6A teams?

Well, I was talking about Strake Jesuit and Episcopal but again, their strength in sports is probably due to the ability to recruit players with scholarships and superior education. Public schools don’t have that luxury (legally anyways).

Texas already has a QB committed. Kinda already known for while Preston stone was heading to smu.

Strake Jesuit doesn’t offer scholarships for athletics. It’s against UIL rules.
It does, however, offer need-based financial aid to help cover the approx. $22k per year tuition. The average amount of financial aid that is given is $3k.
I’m sure they can game the financial aid system a little, but when your average kid on financial aid is still paying $19k per year, you can’t really believe that they are poaching all kinds of kids.

Who on here really believes that all the FB players’ families at Strake Jesuit are paying $19,000 to $22,000 per year for them to go there?

5 Likes

Average who receives financial aid. Not all.

Private schools do offer financial aid so, if need-based, I am sure families are getting assistance.

I know for a fact SJHS in Houston never gives any athletic scholarships.

Fair enough but some do offer assistance (and I am not implying that the recipient has to be an athlete)

1 Like

Let me use a real life example from 14 years ago.

My son attended Cypress Christian School in 2005-06 during which time a young man named Hasheem Thabeet (who came from Tanzania) attended our church and played hoops at Cypress Christian.

As background, our church (Cypress Bible Church) sponsors missionaries throughout the world and has numerous families that do annual mission trips to numerous countries throughout the world including countries in Africa including Tanzania. So it seems that one of the missionary families at Cypress Bible decided to sponsor Hasheem to come to Houston to live with them and to attend and play hoops at Cypress Christian School.

At that time I know that we spent ~$10,000 a year to send our ~5’ 8" tall son to attend Cypress Christian School, but I don’t really know how much, if anything, that the sponsor family paid for ~7’ 3" Hasheem to attend the school and play hoops. …Just sayin’…

[NOTE: Cypress did win a state BB championship and Hasheem spent a few years @ UCONN and then a few years in the NBA before spending the last few years trying to work his way back up into the league… see Hasheem Thabeet in wikipedia.]

1 Like

Whoa, whoa…are you trying to tell me athletes get special treatment in this country? :grin:

1 Like

I never remember St. John’s granting athletic scholarships; only academic ones.

They DO however, offer NEED-BASED financial aid. So if there’s a jock who is good enough academically (and the academics there are KILLER), or an academically kick butt regular student that needs the money, St. John’s will usually come up with some sort of financial aid package to help them out.