So are we good?

I don’t get it

1 Like

We’re obviously better. Need to get a few more games into the season before we can determine how much better we are. Definitely trending up this year.

Go Coogs!

6 Likes

Can’t tell yet Baylor obviously sucks we will see

5 Likes

Glad we swept Baylor but still pissed we blew the two to UTSA and Southwest.

4 Likes

We’re 2-3 vs 2023 top 100 teams. That’s how good we are… again.

4 Likes

Its not a bad year for the b12 but I think Baylor sucks bad

3 Likes

I said after the first weekend I thought we would be just outside the 64 based on the upgrade in talent.
Just my opinion based on what I saw.

I know most of you don’t think we will be anywhere near that good….i could be wrong but I usually have a pretty decent feel based on a bout a million or so hours of baseball in some fashion.

Feel free to roast me after we have a couple of bad weekends.

6 Likes

I understand where you are coming from. There is an upgrade in talent, but I am not sure it is going to be enough to get into the tournament. I am not sure the Big 12 is as good as It has been in the previous few seasons, so I am not sure they are going to take as many from the Big 12 as they have in year’s past. I really want to see how they do in a Big 12 road series against a good team before I move them up the ladder.

4 Likes

Not gonna roast you Pollard. I’m still so apathetic toward our program. My passion for Coog baseball has slowly deteriorated over the last 4 years because of Todd. I have gone to 2 games so far and we won both; But, I’m most definitely not expecting anything of worth this year. If it does turn out good, I’ll be there cheering the team on.

3 Likes

I also think the pitching coach is a big upgrade from last year. Walks and HBPs are half of what it was last year thru the first 15 games.

5 Likes

I went from attending 2-3 games a week to not going at all in probably 5 years. I would’ve guessed I moved out of state if things got to that point. Our brand of ball and the atmosphere got too stale for my liking. I support the team but the entertainment value just hasn’t been there for me. I remember when I was younger having to look through the sports page for game results. I checked every morning. Now we have games on ESPN+ and I’m still 50/50 on tuning in (getting better).

1 Like

Kenney is a 1000 times better than Bunn! Bunn was a complete horses ass! If there had been people filming the team last season, you would have been amazed at what he did.

1 Like

Agree that it’s way too early to come to conclusions, but if we’re going to be a mid-pack Big 12 team we have to beat the bad teams, so sweeping Baylor was a good start. Winning 2 of 3 against BYU would be a good outcome, IMO. Right now I don’t see us being good enough to get in the tournament, but if we keep getting solid results in these first 3-4 series we might build some momentum.

2 Likes

If you can’t get excited about sweeping your first B12 series, something is wrong. The future looks bright.

2 Likes

About 5-6 years ago I had a former player’s dad reach out to ask me about transfer rules.
His kid was about to finish freshman year and had actually pitched quite a bit but had arm fatigue (nothing structurally wrong).
But five pitchers were permanently shelved that year for either elbow or shoulder injuries….others had to miss time.
What I’m about to tell you is shocking….this was a D-1 pitching coach mind you.
Most of you probably know or have heard of the Driveline program using under and mostly over weighted baseballs as a way to increase velocity.

I personally think the 8-10 week program is trash because it leads to increased arm injuries (studies have been done).

One thing most people and apparently some coaches don’t know is the best way to add velo is to clean up mechanics and get stronger.

But fine, let’s say

a coach wants to try it….well number one, you absolutely have to make sure the pitchers have nice clean mechanics before you do anything….if they are not really good an arm injury WILL happen even with just a 5-6 ounce ball.

In the program the distances start short and never get very long….there should be a slow progression of upping the weight of the ball to build those muscles slowly……as I said, I don’t believe in the program and some of my hesitation is because there are lots of idiot dads and some idiot coaches that don’t know what they are doing and then ruin kids arms.

Anyway, this pitching “coach” had his pitchers throwing
ELEVEN ounce baseballs( more than twice the weight of a regulation baseball)sixty feet with full velocity as tho they were pitching in a game!
And if that is not bad enough they started doing it in week TWO….
I found a much better place for my former player and the coach was fired at the end of the season….IMO the head coach should have been axed as well because it happen on his watch.
There wound up being four TJ’s and two RC’s off that team….
Last I heard was this coach had another job on the East Coast at a D-2 or 3 school.

If you made it to the end of the story I apologize….did not realize it went that long.

6 Likes

Bad mechanics will turn any kind of throwing motion-based strengthening drill into an injury. Done right, those things can help, but the problem is that most coaches lack the time/interest/expertise to do them right, and the players don’t know what they’re doing.

It’s kind of the same problem with strength coaches and weight rooms. You can never set those on auto-pilot and just let guys do their thing, because chances are good that they’ve never been taught the correct way to do certain lifts.

1 Like

Do not know his history and maybe he learned from it. I just know it pitchers appear to be in much better control of their pitches and are able to command the strike zone much better.

Learned from what?

Thought you were saying the current pitching coach did the training you were taking about. May have misunderstood your story.

No, not current coach.

Baller mentioned Bunn and what an a$$ he was and it reminded me of the coach I’m speaking about.