So this is the way it's going to be on this board for the rest of the season?

I think you may be misunderstanding peoples frustration. We like our team but just do not like the way they are being coached. We have seen this before.

1 Like

Fair enough and yeah we have seen this before, and it may be a dud of a session. But I’m a fair guy and hope for the best. And a win is still a win so I’m going to enjoy. I also don’t like people creating false narratives when facts dispute it.

The way you put it is a good way to put it,

I do have some good news though for everyone, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

3 Likes

Portland, on the bright side we have come a long way in the last 15 years where people are upset over a 3-1 start. I don’t think we have played that well yet. Too many dropped balls, too many penalties etc. But 3-1 is better than 1-3. If we had played to our potential we would be 4-0 with 2 blow outs.

1 Like

Like I said, like everyone else, I have Coog PTSD. I too am terrified of sliding back into mediocrity and irrelevance. But if we are going to be this upset over a win, what’s the point? It seems winning won’t be enough, we have to look uber sexy doing it.

I do think we beat Tech last week if Postma had started.

5 Likes

I’ll take an ugly win over well played loss any day. I’ll be happy if we can play just well enough to win.

1 Like

agree 100% Portland
too many people who really work to find something to complain about
complaining after a win, a win where the other team was NEVER in position to win the game
This Temple program are defending conference champs and played for the championship 2 years ago
they know how to win
they lose a couple of early games and all the sudden they are some barking dog? doubt it
bet they are respectable this year
and that what this road wn is
respectable

They did lose their coach from those teams
They barely squeaked by FCS Villanova and 0-6 UMass who scored more points against them than we did.
They had a grand total of 85 yards of offense last week
Before this week they were giving up 270 yards per game rushing to FBS teams

3 Likes

Aldine, come on man. You don’t have to work too hard find things to complain about this team that are glaring holes in this team. Don’t try and make Temple more than they are, they are a lot closer to the Temple of old than the Rhule led groups. They are not respectable, they are a bad team this year.

The offense from CMA and Brian Johnson has been abysmal. The scheme and philosophy had been terrible and overly conservative hence being shut down in the second half of all our games except for the Postma TD’s. Brian Johnson right now looks like the offensive version of Jaime Bryant. The execution has been equally terrible and that’s on the players I will not absolve them from their own futility. But we are pretty good on D and atrocious on offense. That means we are most likely very mediocre.

3 Likes

Still though, the point of my original post
 if we are going to be this upset when we win
 what’s the point of any of this then?

1 Like

Portland, totally get what you’re saying, the ideas that we can’t even really enjoy a win without twisting ourselves up. I’ll speak only for myself here, I will totally agree an ugly win is ahead better than a loss. But for me it’s hard to completely enjoy things when half our team is just playing so poorly right now. Ed Oliver is an absolute joy to watch and the D is solid. But it’s like having a two act show. One is good and the other is terrible.

2 Likes

I like winning, Go Coogs.
Gameday threads are always a little rough but I agree. I’m not sure if we have been spoiled or what but when I see people say the team isn’t worth their money I just think it sounds like pro fans mentality. Not what I want on college football board.

2 Likes

I think the coaches are lwarning and adjusting as they go. Slowly, but learning. Applewhite surprised me by starting Postma. We had a few nice cohesive drives. I think we’ll continue to improve. It may be a rebuilding year, but I was hoping not. Go Coogs.

It is a rebuilding year. Postma/Allen were stopgaps until Bryson Smith/King can take over the offense next year in what’s likely to be an even better defense & offense.

If we can win 8+ games this year and a bowl game I’ll be happy. I wasn’t expecting too much out of Applewhite his first year, it’s his 2nd & 3rd year I’d really evaluate him as the long term coach. Even Gary Patterson lost his first bowl game and went 6-6 his first year. And he turned out well, I’m hoping Applewhite will be our Patterson. (Winninest Coach/Lead us to P5)

2 Likes

Thank you. We have a gap because of the 2014 and 2015 classes. The coaching change had an effect and Herman tried to fill the gap with transfers while the young guys develop.

3 Likes

The young men are 3 -1, go coogs beat SMU

3 Likes

It seems as though every team we play is gunning for us harder than any other team. We are everyone’s super bowl.

3 Likes

IMHO we are a few fixes (dropped balls, penalties) from being the best team in the AAC. For what ever reason we never have smooth transitions at QB.

1 Like

I was actually encouraged by the Texas Tech loss after watching the TTU v. Okie State game this weekend. We turned the ball over 5 times against Tech and still held them to 27 points and had a very good shot at beating them at the end. I agree that we probably would have won had Postma started the game, or even started the 2nd half, but can’t say I was appalled at seeing Kyle Allen start after he demolished Rice. I was profoundly proud to see CMA make a change mid-game when things weren’t going well. That took guts even if it seemed the obvious move to fans.

I think we can all agree something is wrong with our offense this year, and that “something” is that we no longer have Greg Ward. He masked a whole lot of what is currently wrong with the offense (lack of speed, not great run blocking, etc.). Offensive drop off happens when you lose such a great offensive weapon at QB. Look at Florida in the post-Tebow years. The other similarity there? The head coach saw the writing on the wall and left town when his star QB graduated. See also Kevin Sumlin. There is little doubt in my mind that we would look exactly the same this year if CTH had never left. The difference is, we have far fewer concussions, and have seen a drastic decrease in media spats this year.

I think part of our problem is that, for some reason, we (generally speaking) did not expect to see much of a drop off this year which, in my mind, is not terribly fair to CMA. I admit, I was one who fell into that trap by trying to justify Kyle Allen’s arm strength and lack of loss at WR, RB and OL as reasons we should see some continuity, or even some improvement. I now see that Greg Ward was far more special than I originally thought and Kyle Allen’s problems are more attributable to himself than Sumlin or A&M. I have now lowered my expectations for this year accordingly. I do not think we will be able to run the gauntlet of SMU, Memphis, Navy and USF and come out conference champs, but you never know. UCF did us a solid by beating Memphis. I would still like to see King get some QB snaps this year. King is a special athlete more in the mold of Greg Ward than Kyle Postma will ever be. I’d like to see Postma back at WR.

These are just my thoughts. I will continue rooting for my Coogs and will still be disappointed when we lose or don’t play up to potential. That’s what being a fan is all about. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

100% agree with everything you stated. Greg Ward was a special player and it should be expected that there would be drop off without him. Defense has been stellar in my opinion. I’ll be at the game on Saturday losing my voice again and for the rest of the home games this year. I will do the same. Go Coogs!

4 Likes