So you’re saying there is ACTUALLY a chance?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7640624002

Says top 4 get a bye and no auto bids by any conf which if true is fair to all.

1 Like

They could join the MWC as well, but if they join a conference, I hope its the AAC.

1 Like

What is causing the seismic shift is the number of players opting out of bowl games

5 Likes

In my opinion, besides the money issue, the big reason against playoff expansion is the mid level P5 teams. The 6 at-large teams is one of the way to select 8-4 ATM over 11-1 Boise State. For recruiting, it will kill mid-level P5 teams, if a 4* think he will ride the bench at Bama, he will come to a good G5 team with better change to go to Playoff than a mid-level P5 like Kentucky, Boston College, Wake Forrest,…

Seat at the table

2 Likes

So basically in this scenario we would have the P6 champions and the next 6 highest ranked non-champions. Where does ND fall I wonder.

ND always gets an at large but as long as we’re in everyone is happy.

1 Like

I’m not worrying about what may or may not happen in a couple of years, I want to win the AAC this fall and let the rest take care of itself.

4 Likes

In the end, it will serve to pump more money as a percentage into the P5 conferences !!

1 Like

I was curious what the thoughts were here.

I agree there is a chance BYU joins the AAC FB only. BYU would just need to do out of conference games with teams out west and its manageable. Or I think BYU stays independent. The MWC doesn’t seem like a great option for BYU.

I also agree that the current comitee is corrupt. They have no shame and don’t even pretend to select teams fairly. Most of the current P5 can count on getting locked out of a four team playoff too.

The writing was on the wall. They need to let a G5 outsider in but the real pressure is coming from all the P5 teams that also get hosed every year with the current playoff. The expansion is for 2-3 more rich school bids, 4-5 more bids for the lesser P5s. And 1 bid for a G5 team.

I hope the pressure builds to drop the current comitee and use the AP poll to select the top 6 auto bids. The Pac 12 should have come in behind the Sunbelt and AAC this year, but I bet they would have magically ranked the P12 higher with this system lol.

3 Likes

This is only a discussion to “soften” any angst against the cartel/cfp. I won’t believe any of it until this is put into action. Was it last year when we heard the same type of recommendations? Follow the money and we will know what will happen nest.

1 Like

If BYU joins the AAC with this system I don’t care who else does at that point we are P6 as far as playoff accessibility. Us, UCF, Cincy, Memphis, USF, AND BYU? The rest aren’t too shabby either. C’mon we’ll always have a name brand at the top and rated higher with the exception of Boise if they get elite again. Even they’ve lost some luster in the CFP era, they had their hayday in the BCS.

My big point is this scenario sucks for the new G4. I know we don’t care at that point but still.

1 Like

About time they noticed and how it was impacting their exhibition games from the Opt Out Control.

1 Like

Why not just do all 10 conference champs, or the P5s/Indy + AAC, MWC, and CUSA. The four at larges can be filled with Sun Belt/MAC if even necessary, or teams that were strong enough to make their CCG but lost their regional championship OR their actual CCG.

For example, Bama didn’t even win their conference yet won the 2018 CCG. Stuff like that.

1 Like

This is the best position we have been in since the demise of the SWC.

Not only does it give us a seat at the table, it allows us to recruit head to head with half (if not more) of the P5 schools. We have a better chance of making the playoffs than say Purdue or Texas Tech.

BYU? I think since the auto bids only goes to a conference champion, their choice is now “what is an easier path to the playoffs, finishing in the top 12 or winning a conference championship.”

Plus since the auto bid is going to the conference champions you are going to have upsets in the P5 CCGs about 25% of the time which will eat up a few of the 12 spots. Then you have Notre Dame taking one of the spots. It will be tough on BYU. If I were them I would join the AAC. If they get Boise and San Diego State to go along with them, it prett much assures that the AAC will the get the 6th spot.

4 Likes

I am all for it but nothing has happened yet. You all have to remember that we are dealing with a cartel. A recommendation does not mean squat until a real change happens.
Do you remember when everybody was making plans about the small12 letting us in?
How did that turn out?

2 Likes

We will sue this time bc it’s a long term deal that will likely be the last playoff exp. I think it works out in our favor and the p5 s get what they want which is 10 or so spots.

1 Like

Whose Championship!

Coogs Championship!

Let’s Ride!!!

1 Like