Space Helmets

https://x.com/UHCougarFB/status/2106186354627629185

π™„π™‰π™π™π™Šπ˜Ώπ™π˜Ύπ™„π™‰π™‚: 𝙏𝙃𝙀 π™‚π™π™„π˜Ώπ™„π™π™Šπ™‰ π™‚π˜Όπ™‡π˜Όπ™“π™” 10 helmets. Each with a connection to Houston that will be worn Saturday morning vs UCF

1 Like

I saw somewhere that the athletic department is going to sell the helmets. I can’t find it now. Does anyone know if/when they will be put up for sale?

1 Like

Much like the Jimmy V tournament tickets, Nantz Leadership Society members get to purchase the helmets.

Wouldn’t an actual auction make more sense?

11 Likes

Is it just me or did they all look like motorcycle cops running around with white helmets and black visors… I am much further from the field than I used to be.

4 Likes

They didn’t mesh well with the Houston blue. I thought we looked like clowns but we won, all that matters. We try SOMETIMES too hard.

4 Likes

Maybe the helmets would have looked better at night with the all icy white uniforms.

1 Like

ESPN Gameday did a bit today on UH’s blue unis, but the focus was on the helmets. I didn’t realize there were 10 different helmet designs; The sun, 8 planets and Pluto, which technically, is not a planet, but I treat it as one.

According to JD, since Pluto is the farthest object in the group, only one helmet was made, and Weigman wore it. It was auctioned off at the Hall of Honor Friday night for $40,000.00.

10 Likes

Yes. I don’t care whose helmet I get. It could be the 3rd string punter for all I care.

4 Likes

I would bid $10.00 and would hope I don’t get lucky.

2 Likes

Seems like it would raise more $ if auctioned off. That might make too much sense.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

And why were they announced the night before? Wouldn’t it have been more effective to announce sooner or at least tease it?

11 Likes

i agree.

i wanted to know who got which, and did they get to choose; coulda been a nice build up all week and even made some local news.

but one of the helmets was a farce, pluto IS NOT A PLANET !

Nobody from UH said there were only planets. For example, some helmets had the sun–not a planet.

BTW, Pluto is a dwarf planet. Assuming it matters, its downgrade in status is not accepted by all.

3 Likes

that is true, the sun was on a helmet; but pluto was non-deserving; otherwise shoulda been a ceres helmet.

I can imagine the emails Nunez gets. There has to be 30,000 gigabyte external storage to hold his delete file.

2 Likes

Well they did tease them all week on instagram. But I do think they should have just shone them earlier in the week and gotten everyone more excited about them earlier.

1 Like

Who Discovered Uranus?

not intending to hijack the thread, but nice little article on Uranus today in my twitter feed, my favorite planet. btw, universal-sci.com has lots of great articles for those inclined sapce-wise.

2 Likes

My second girlfriend.

4 Likes

Apparently the original plan was to wear them with a white out and the effect was to be that they look like astronauts, but UF-Disney refused to allow the uniform switch.

I say we never accommodate any request that they have for their stupid space game or tin stadium ever again. Bush freakin league.

5 Likes

I thought the space helmets idea is the best idea this season. Why was the announcement and public education on the space helmets so late in the week? UH should have been promoted the helmets at least a week before the game. I found out through social media the day before the game. I did not realize there were 10 different helmets until after I got back home from the game. Apparently, the number of helmets created decreased the farther out of the solar system the object was located.

I feel like UH missed an opportunity to maximize the value of this promotion.

1 Like