I feel confident in our latest Aussie punter, but I know we need to decide on a new kicker and returners. Anyone have inside info/wild guesses as to who those will be?
I wonder if the punter gets paid in Aussie or US dollars.
Met him at a bar in The Heights once. Cool dude.
Returners?
We may have 2 True Freshmen who get a look…
Paris Melvin Jr and Johnny Hebert are both legit 4.4 forty guys…
I think Trent Walker runs a 4.5.
According to the OurLads 2-deep chart:
- Zac Yoakum, the transfer from Notre Dame, will do the KOs.
- Evan Noel, the transfer from Florida, will do the FGs
- Jack Carson-Wentz with be the LS. He has transferred from 4 schools, the latest Florida A&M.
- Jake Sock will be the holder.
- Trent Walker, transfer from Oregon St., will be the PR.
- Jaquise Martin will be the KR.
- The backup for PR and KR will be Paris Melvin Jr.
Dang that roster looks good.
Shoutout to JLCoog for finding it.
While it’s not the “Official” 2-deep. I’ll bet it’s close.
When I looked at the defense, I noticed it’s stocked with talent…
Took me by surprise…
That secondary could be dangerous?
Damn!!!
I hope we have extremely little need for a punter and a whole lot of need for a kicker, especially one that sends kickoffs deep into the end zone.
I remember when UH FG K Terry Leiweke’s leg cramped up from kicking so many extra points in UH’s 100-6 win over Tulsa. Leiweke was 13 for 14 in PATs that day.
I wonder which one he remembers the most?
I would love for Jake Sock to get some snaps in a blow out game …
Hopefully PR game will be better. Mews didn’t drop any though. (maybe one). Marcus Jones spoiled me.
The transfer kicker from Florida will be the PK most likely….very highly rated out of HS.
Evan Noel
Trent Walker and Paris will be returning punts….not sure what the split will be.
We have had several really good kickers, but my favorite is still Roman Anderson.
I remember I liked Kenny Hatfield (from LaGrange HS) during our Cotton Bowl Era.
If I recall correctly, he was the SWC’s leading “extra point” kicker during our back-to-back 1978 & 1979 SWC football championship seasons and resultant Cotton Bowl game appearances. I think that he also had about 4 or 5 interceptions playing defensive back on our 1979 team.
My mother graduated from LaGrange High School; but the one in Lake Charles, LA. In Lake Charles they use the French pronunciation instead of the one used in Texas.
After seeing the “Spring game”, this defense will not let the UH offense, or the quarterback room, have all the fun and the glory. This defense is coming to play. This team will be solid at every position.
Kenny was an All Star QB at LaGrange High School.
It must been a heaven for Roman to be the kicker during our Run and Shoot era. He still holds the school record for total career points, career FGs made, single season FGs made and tied for the longest FG at 53 yards.
Sounds like Shane Meyer when he was at Central Missouri…
He was a three-time Academic All-MIAA and three-time Academic All-American (second-team twice, first-team once). A kicker, he holds school records for field goals in a season (18 in 1997) and a career (49). He ranks third in career PATs (107) most consecutive field goals (eight), and career scoring (first among kickers) with 254 points. He also has two of the three record 52-yard field goals in UCM history in 1997 and 1998.
Pretty sure Coog kickers get some good tips from him…
Add in that Tyron Carrier, DeMarcus Ayers, Marques Stevenson, D’Eriq King, Brandon Wilson, Chance Allen were all his predecessors. We were really spoiled with the return game.