Still think all Conference Champs should be in CFP

My Nebraska buddy says I should start thinking like UH is in a Power Conference. But I think there would be more leveling of the conferences.
The money would be better having some Cinderellas.
But it is like the small town factory owner who wants to keep all other businesses out so he has all the power.

2 Likes

Sporting wise the only outcome should be all 10 conference champions make the cfp. Then the highest six at large make up the rest.
March madness is ncaa sanctioned.
The cfp is not ncaa sanctioned.
Any questions?

5 Likes

9 conference champs, 3 at-large. I don’t want to subdivide Division 1-FBS and it will be unless all the conference champs are included in a postseason.

The ultimate irony in this is that the ncaa is in fact representing these schools/conferences. Two conferences want to impose their will on everybody else. At this rate why don’t the big10 and sec get their best players and enter two teams in the nfl. This is 100% ludicrous.

1 Like

There needs to be a Reality Check for some Coogfans on here.

Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold rules.

(So In FBS college football, it will be the teams that have 70,000+ fans in the stands, 100,000+'s of devoted TV fans as well as very large, well funded NIL programs that make the new rules.)

2 Likes

/thread

I think every conference champ in the subdivision should make the playoff. If the SEC and B1G think the G5 shouldn’t be in the playoff, that’s fine, and I even think it’s defensible, but break away then.

1 Like

They dont need to break away to exclude G5’s…ALL P5s would prefer to exclude them and with reason. Allowing the best G5 an opportunity in playoff is more than enough. This isnt a BB tournament.

Nah, FBS Football’s method of selecting a “champion” is uniquely stupid among all levels of all sports. Giving out bids to at least the champion of each league is good enough for the NFL and FCS and 1A six-man football; there’s no reason it shouldn’t happen in FBS.

3 Likes

The entire College Football Playoff system is a giant grey area.

I 100% agree that all Power 4 conference champions should get automatic bids to the CFP, but to give all the G5 conference champions an automatic bid is just nonsense.

The MAC champion or the WAC champion having to face off against the B1G or SEC champion is just a gigantic waste of time. It’s the equivalent of an OOC football game.

Give the G5 one shot. It’s the highest ranked G5 conference champion. That’s it.

It’s a waste of time for South New Hampshire State Tech College to have to play against Alabama or Georgia or Michigan or Ohio State.

It’s a waste of time, and it’s highly likely that players would just sit out the game anyway. It’s a waste of time and money.

1 Like

As I’ve said elsewhere, the good thing about the d3 playoff is that ALL conference champions, from the weakest to the strongest, get a bid.

That said, I actually don’t have a huge problem with the 14 team proposal that’s been floated around out there.

I know this won’t be popular here but college football is not like any other sport really. If we did the 9+3 playoff there would be some many TERRIBLE games on tv. Teams like Liberty, SMU, Miami Ohio, Boise, and Troy making up almost half the teams (G5 winners this year). Buffalo, North Texas, Tulane, Toledo, Troy, Fresno, New Mexico State from last year. Belch after belch. Would not be NEARLY enough star power and would be blowout after blowout when those teams face legit top 6 teams. No, I’m not an advocate of that at all.

With that said, a really good G5 team (or maybe 2) like us with Herman deserves a shot.

Let’s just get to 16 already and go 4 BIG, 4 SEC, 2 Big 12, 2 ACC, 1 or 2 G5 then rest at large. No crying about bye distribution as byes won’t be part of a 16 team playoff. The playoff will only expand with time so this is where we are headed if you ask me.

It’s not any more of a waste of time than Duncanville playing Hutto, or South Dakota State playing Mercer.

I’d find it very impressive if the WAC champion could beat the B1G or SEC champion considering they don’t even play football. :wink: :thinking: :smile:

Further proof it’s a waste of time

Lmao 4 BIG/SEC???

You’re insane

That’s 2 automatic byes for the B1G/SEC regardless if a Big 12/ACC is ranked higher than them

There are 10 Div I FBS conferences. All of these sanctioned by the ncaa.
The ncaa is supposed to represent all universities that play sports. This includes the p2’s.
All 10 conferences ought to be represented plus six at large.
The p2’s don’t like it?
I have an answer for you. Why don’t you realign with another/part of these 10 conferences?
NO they won’t because all of this is based on money.
Shame on some of you that think “too many meaningless games”
Do you think that it is their choice to be excluded from the p2’s?
How soon some of you forget.
Most of the p2 schools are public schools.
They want to get away from others?
CUT THEIR FEDERAL AID. Yes yours and my tax Dollars find their ways into their banking accounts. WHY should that continue?

1 Like

Your proposing to cut medical or agricultural research over a football conference?

Meaningless games in the NCAA BB tournament have produced some darn good games.

1 Like