Still think all Conference Champs should be in CFP

Its based on who’s best…You can forget some playoff where every conference champion gets a spot…
most G5 champs have no business being allowed to go, and having them compete with one another where the best and highest ranked G5 champ gets a spot is perfectly reasonable…National rankings is going to be a far more accurate indicator of who gets a bid than champions from every league…

I don’t. Chances are a 4th place SEC team like Ole Miss would beat a conference champion like Georgia Southern or Western Michigan something like 42-3. I think a G5 school should make the playoff but not every G5 conference champ.

Probably. So what? Make 'em prove it on the field.

5 Likes

Because the CFP is not sanctioned by the NCAA. The networks don’t care about merit. They networks care about revenue.

Anything other than the highest ranked G5 team is a complete waste of time, money, and TV spots. Any ranked SEC team would most likely not even use their starters for a game with Georgia Southern or Western Michigan, so what exactly is being proven here? The latter would get obliterated just like TCU did against Georgia when they were in the CFP.

You have to keep in mind that the entire concept of “Power” schools is because of the networks. The NCAA does not designate which schools are considered Power/Autonomous or not. It’s the networks.

1 Like

Makes too much sense and cannot be rigged to benefit the powers that be, so will never happen.

You know, the best part about sports is that it is supposed to be a fair play and based on efforts, unlike most of our society. Now, even sports are trying to rig outcomes in favor of the rich and powerful.

Sports are becoming just another part of our society destroyed by greed. I say this as a capitalist.

1 Like

I favor a 9+7 system. All conference champs represented - If the SEC and B1G are so good they can suck up most of the at large spots, the committee will likely be on their side

3 Likes

There was a time nobody wanted to play Boise State.
And there was a time Oregon was irrelevant.
With NIL and transfer portal, traditionally bad teams could get good quickly if given a level playing field rather than being eliminated before the season’s opening kickoff.

1 Like

There is a reason why the cfp is behind closed doors. They do not want to be exposed.
When the bcs started college football died. There are no reasons for the cfp to exclude all but four conferences. NONE Don’t tell me there will be horrible games. Horrible games already exist when a p2 schools is beating up on one of its current p2 doormat school.
You tell me. Is it true or not? You betcha it is. So why is it that these DIV I FBS Champions (they earned it) can’t be part of the cfp at 14 or 16 schools?
The only reason is MONEY nothing else.

I can’t support giving G5 conference champs an auto spot. Any G5 champ in the top 14 should absolutely get a spot, but otherwise just 1 guaranteed spot is quite reasonable.

1 Like

You’re punishing schools who play in tough conferences and rewarding those who play in weak ones. Plus you’re also creating a situation where the networks have to pay millions for G5 schools whose ROI won’t justify it.

Why should ESPN, Fox, or any other media company support what your propose?

2 Likes

Because everyone in the competition should have a clear, objective path to a championship. It’s the way basically every other team sports league on Earth works. It should not be possible to go undefeated (and untied, where possible) and not win a championship.

The next time I give a crap about the networks’ ROI will be the first time.

4 Likes

I’m only wanting 5 out of 16 spots for legit G5 conference champs. With 7 at large spots SEC and B1G could get 4 spots each and there would still be one at large left.

All conferences represented is what has made the basketball tourney so popular

4 Likes

Football and Basketball aren’t comparable for many reasons. Including the basketball season behind incl ing a lot more games and because of just 12 team rosters, the P4-G5 talent differential not being as much as it is in football. Also bb isn’t as physical as fb. Teams
Players playing a P4 schedule take much more physical strain than G5 players do,

I am ok with any G5 champ in the top 16 getting a spot even if that means 4 get in. But I don’t think it’s fair to give 5 AQ to G5. The networks won’t like it either. They aren’t paying billions to see 5 G5 teams in the playoffs.

1 Like

Winning some dink G5 conference isnt enough “merit” to justify a playoff bid…3rd place teams in P5 conferences are going to have a huge advantage with their strength of schedule and their wins are likely going to far outmatch G5 champs…G5 will never have more than one conference champ that will belong in the playoff conversation…The way its going to be set up is the way it should be set up…3 SEC, 3 BIG. 2 Big 12, 2 ACC, Notre Dame, best G5 champ and 2 at large…

Top 14…decided by whom? The polls? Yeah, that’s fair.

1 Like

Give it time and it will balance out some…that’s right, that’s what the power conferences are trying to avoid…at all cost.

1 Like

I don’t know why in Heaven the B10 should get more than two teams in.

3 Likes

Probably because of who they added…Their usual 2 along with Oregon or USC or Washington…

I agree with letting those who earned a conference title play for the national title.

People can try to turn the BIG and SEC into some kind of scary impossible to beat monster, but I would like to see it played out on the field.

If not then just go back to having bowls and let the press pick the champion.

This “invitational” approach does not cut it for me.
imo

4 Likes

I think the reason that some of these p4 fans don’t want g5 conference champs included is because they know a lot of these p4 teams would get their s#% kicked in by these teams. And that would blur the mythical distinction between the two.

4 Likes