Students required to stay home 30 days

He has the right to post it, and we have the right (and responsibility, imo) to dunk all over him for it.

I agree. If you take a stance you buy the consequences. But that also applies to other stances that the vast majority of people find offensive or wrong. You are free in America but not free from consequences.

And we can still acknowledge these type of things can harm other people. Kyrie saying the earth is flat isn’t as harmful to society as being against the vaccine. If people want to point that out and call him bad for it, they are allowed to. He isn’t intentionally going around trying to get people not to get it, just like this school isn’t trying to force other schools to believe fake things like they do, but his actions/words do have consequences.

No problem with this school getting blamed for spreading misinformation so this thread is valid.

I agree if you find what the school is doing or what Kyrie is doing offensive, call them out. You have free speech as well. Calling them out doesn’t make you a religious bigot or a racist. But that applies to a lot of things that are considered free speech. Americans should have the right to voice their opinion.

Let’s pray for those kids.

1 Like

Why does my finger even touch Satellite. I even promised myself to not post anythg for 1 month on Football thread, so far so good since Oct 1.
For me it’s strictly Basketball n Baseball-- Coogs or Astros n I’m very ok. Y’all have at it!! :grin::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::upside_down_face:

The school’s COO has a Master’s in Epidemiology. It seems like she has the skill set to determine the best way to protect kids for getting sick from any kind of disease.

If I were a parent, I would be happy to defer to her judgment or withdraw my child.

Btw, none of the executives of the school have a bio that reads like a person who listens regularly to Alex Jones and the school describes itself as progressive.

The school’s COO has a Master’s in Epidemiology. It seems like she has the skill set to determine the best way to protect kids for getting sick from any kind of disease.

Yeah, just normal stuff on their website:

Your son or daughter may not be able to attend their first day of school until they are fully vaccinated. While these regulations were established to help protect all children, the amount of unknown risks associated with vaccinations will have you seriously second-guessing whether this policy should be upheld.

Rather than helping children’s immune systems, there is a large belief in the United States that the excess of mandatory vaccines is actually damaging them. In fact, in the past 20 years, U.S. statistics prove that children are experiencing doubled rates of Attention Deficit Disorder and learning disabilities, doubled rates of asthma, tripled rates of diabetes, and a rise in autism in every single state at the rate of 600 percent.

A lot of kids are suffering and it is up to us as a Miami international school community to rule out any and all possibilities contributing to the rise in chronic diseases and disabilities for our students. Before we, as a school, mandate anything that could possibly be causing so much harm to our students, studies need to be urged to be conclusive as to whether common mandatory vaccinations lead to various common health disorders.

The school has been open about two minutes.

Let’s have this discussion again in a hundred and fifty years.

Are vaccines the cause, just ask expert Jenny McCarthy. ADD and Autism are being way over diagnosed now. If there is any correlation between the two and vaccines i haven’t seen the evidence.

OMG, only you folks can integrate the culture war into a national health issue.

If these arguments were posited 70 years ago, the mandates which fostered vaccines for polio, measles, rubella, small pox and such would never had been ben applied, and we would all still be susceptible to those diseases.

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Eh, the school’s full description is “a progressive independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration.” That reeks of exactly the kind of hippie-dippie nonsense that’s been on the Anti-vax wagon for a decade plus. The kind of folks that were causing Measles outbreaks in California not too long ago.

The COO has a Master’s in Epidemiology, but looking at her LinkedIn, she appears to have not done any sort of Epidemiological work since 2003.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty clear that advanced degrees don’t confer good sense or confirm good judgment.

Whether you agree with the school or don’t agree with the school, the school has done nothing illegal. The students and their families can choose not to attend and the students have complete freedom to be educated at myriad of other locations. The school has freedom to run their business as they see fit and the market has freedom to buy their services or not. People making free decisions that are in the best interest of themselves.

Whether you agree with Kyrie Irving or don’t agree with Kyrie Irving, Kyrie has done nothing illegal. Kyrie can choose to be vaccinated and play at home games for Brooklyn or he can choose not to. He has no right to play for the Brooklyn Nets. The state of NY has no obligation to allow Kyrie to play basketball. BUT what Kyrie does not have is the complete freedom to play at a myriad of other locations. Kyrie is tied into a contract. The knee jerk reaction is that it sucks to be you Kyrie you are paid a lot and you signed the contract and the state and local governments of New York finds your behavior to be intolerable. His choices are comply or not be able to ply his trade anywhere. I think the vast majority of people would be very unsympathetic to Kyrie because of the money he makes. I think they would take the position shut up and dribble Kyrie.

Freedom v mandates creates different situations. Your position on particular behavior changes your position on “shut up and dribble” or “freedom of speech”.

I agree with most of your paragraph. They can advertise as a vaccine free school and I’m cool
with that. When they promote untrue things publicly on their webpages, it’s not so clear cut.

For a democracy to function, people need to be informed. I hope you agree that today there
are a lot of people consuming these false sources and conspiracy theories. It’s dangerous.

Freedom v mandates creates different situations

Agree it does. But in our society it is settled law ( if that’s the right term) based upon USSC and has been for over 100 years. Some folks may hold their breath and turn blue over it , but it is what it is. That’s not to say the USSC could reverse the decision tomorrow, but most legal folks seem to
think that’s a long shot.

So I feel like this is pretty simple. Is this school a bunch of OG (Jenny McCarthy and vaccines cause autism crew) anti-vaxxers? Sure seems that way. Are their beliefs for dopes? Again the answer is yes. Should they be ridiculed mercilessly until policies change or they lost enough students to shut down? You bet.

But it is a private institution and that’s how the consequences should work. Just like Kyrie and Wassu coach, they’re grown adults, who can make grown adult decisions, and deal with the grown adult consequences.

@NRGcoog has the freedom v mandates law question right. It had been settled numerous times that mandates are Constitutional and the consequences of refusing mandates are not an infringement upon individual liberties.

1 Like

NRG I think anyone who gets medical advice from a small private primary school or a basketball player is super stupid but it is not against the law to be stupid. I am not sure what constitutes giving medical advice without a license.

In terms of the mandates, I agree they are absolutely legal. But needless to say freedom and mandates create different situations and outcomes. Depending on your personal view on life I could see you embracing either. For every New York there is a Florida. For every California there is a Texas. The beauty of being an American is you can choose to live where ever you want, run your business wherever you want, and raise your family wherever you want. Highly regulated and controlled versus more freedom are both legitimate views. I don’t want to change New York and California. I believe that on the state and local level you can be as far to the left or right as you want to be. Because at the end of the day, I choose where to live. On the national level, my personal belief is that we should be centrists.

Makes no difference where you live, USSC is final say. At the end of the
day, no right is absolute or unlimited.

But Texas and Florida can choose not to have vaccine mandates and it is perfectly legal. New York and California can choose to have vaccine mandates and it is perfectly legal. I honestly don’t care that New York has vaccine mandates. It doesn’t impact me or my business or my family. If that is what they want then by golly have at it. A person who absolutely wants to have vaccine mandates but lives in Texas and Florida is probably going to be disappointed. But like Kyrie and the students at that school, you don’t have to live in Texas and Florida. You can choose California and New York, that is perfectly legit.