Sumlin - get some payback

I think Fedora left Southern Miss fairly classy and definitely not like Sumlin. He showed for the conference championship and he did stay for their bowl game. Funny how that worked out huh?

6 Likes

Larry Fedora southern miss, the Central Michigan coach (can’t remember his name), Peterson when he left Boise, Jeff Brohm Western Kentucky.

4 Likes

Don’t forget about the $5MM that aTm is still paying him this year and next.

5 Likes

1 Like

I am going to guess that some casual UH fans may not even know that Sumlin is at Arizona so doesn’t hurt to throw that in the ad. Now, I might debate whether those fans would be listening to sports talk radio but then we would end up debating whether 790 AM is really sports talk these days

1 Like

Sumlin may be convinced that he is the reason UH has that new “ stadium” -TDECU.

Imagine if Sumlin had you guys undefeated and into the PAC 12 championship. In the week of the game he negotiated with USC and told the team before the game that he signed to coach USC next season. You lose and play in the Holiday Bowl instead of entering the playoff. That’s about the equivalent.

12 Likes

I think that $10M was owed to Sumlin within like 60 days of him being terminated. Sumlin worked aggy over on that contract.

You forgot to add he was recruiting for USC while being the Zona coach and was checked out of everything to do with them.

3 Likes

Sumlin has hit the jackpot twice – once at aTm and now at AZ. He made many millions at aTm and then they paid him $10M to leave. I don’t know what his contract is at AZ, but its probably more than he would be making at UH. He has enough money to buy all the booze he can drink for the rest of his sorry life.

3 Likes

Watching that 2011 C-USA championship game, the issue wasn’t Sumlin, the issue was that Southern Miss was prepared to play. That southern miss team was 9 points away from being undefeated. UH just couldn’t make the plays early on to dictate the flow of the game. Keenum missed a wide open pass that could have caused the game to fall in Houston’s favor. It looks like fans want someone to blame for the loss and the obvious answer is blame the Head Coach that’s leaving to A&M. I strongly believe if UH had won the game, Sumlin finishes the season at UH to add the BCS bowl game to his resume. Once they lost there was no point in being at UH, he reached the ceiling for him at UH.

Here is a question. Is it the school (A&M, UT) demanding that the coach leaves before the season is over? Did A&M require Sumlin to leave before the bowl game? Did UT require Herman to leave before the bowl game? Did UT require all of the assistants to leave before the bowl game (e.g. did they say if you don’t leave now, we won’t hire you? Was it only Orlando (and was it Navier??) who pushed back and said no, we will finish it out?)

I’m sure they leave by their own choice but what difference does it make? If they stay for the bowl game the team will either win or lose. That’s it. It won’t impact recruiting because the current staff is leaving anyways. If anything Sumlin leaving before the bowl game and UH winning shows recruits that there’s still talent to win at UH without the coach. I understand the way Herman left and took almost the entire staff with him before the bowl game, leaving UH with a handful of coaches was a crap move but it wouldn’t have made much of a difference. UH wasn’t playing for conference championship or major bowl win. Those that stayed behind to get the team ready for the bowl game should be commended for following through for the players.

Sumlin’s Arizona contract is $14.5 mil over 5 years plus incentives.

Wow, are you way off.

3 Likes

second that.

he could retire in Palo Alto California from the coaching posts he got after UH.

The issue was that Sumlin didn’t have UH prepared to play against a team that was prepared to play even though they were losing their coach as well. Game plan didn’t show up until late in the week, coach was out drinking and partying instead of preparing for one of the biggest games in the University’s history, announcement of the coach leaving came out prior to the game and the players had to have heard (or some reports said that they were told prior to the game).

Not saying that Southern Miss couldn’t have won that game anyway, but UH was not a team that was prepared properly for that game and it showed. That’s on Sumlin and is the heart of why we are upset with him.

1 Like

Maybe gaggies will show up to watch him lose!

1 Like

Funny you say that: this morning on 97.5 FM the promo mentioned Arizona was coming to TDECU coached by “former Texas A&M coach, Kevin Sumlin” (of course that is the A&M flag station in Houston). Unfortunately, I think most Aggies will be preoccupied with GameDay and the Clemson game to show up but there may be a few hardcore football fans that want to go to a game to kill time before their game.

Because they were playing tight and shocked. UH would have been up 14-0 to start the game if it wasn’t for the Sumlin stuff. A pass that was just a little too long to Johnson. Then Carrier dropping a td pass. Those things usually dont happen. Later in the game you could tell that the game plan wasn’t there and no adjustments were being made. Watch every time they came off the field, none of the players wanted to go near Sumlin.

2 Likes