TDECU Stadium Renovations & Expansions

So it looks like the new score board will be set up a lot higher.

I do hope they are making these improvements with the master plan “dream” scenario of building an all stadium canopy, like that stadium in Spain, some day.

I’m sure the architects and planners mean well but they need to listen the the season ticket holders that actually attend THE football games in August- October in Houston, Texas.

Some of the games are BRUTAL from a heat/humidity standpoint.

Texas A&M and Texas play in outdoor stadiums but the heat +humidity isn’t nearly as intense.
LSU plays primarily night games.
Miami has daily rain storms that provide cloud cover.
Baylor has a canopy.

Any other P4 stadium even close to ours as far as a brutal weather comfort standpoint?

We play in the most brutal weather environment in all of Power 4 Football
we NEED a Canopy SOMEDAY!

Of course the average casual UH alum/ Houstonian isn’t going to sit in the heat for 4 hours CONSISTENTLY. They’d rather have shade than a new scoreboard (priorities)!

The Astrodome was created out of necessity. So many players were passing out playing in Colt Stadium.

Pete Rose was actually on 790 yesterday talking about how brutal it was playing the .45’s in Colt Stadium
BRUTAL!

3 Likes

Bullcrap the heat and humidity is same in college station as in Houston just a few miles away, I’m in San Antonio area and the humidity has gotten just about as bad as Houston the last 20years

7 Likes

We would need to finalize the seating before putting in a canopy.

If we put in a canopy now and then expand years later, then there would be an added costs of millions to remove the canopy.

1 Like

What I don’t get is half of our fanbase have no problem going golfing or fishing in the summer heat but complain about it on game day.

We got all summer to condition ourselves to prepare for the temperatures.

2 Likes

I adjust my fishing and golfing around the heat. I’m always off the boat by 10am when fishing and only golf Dec-March. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

It’s funny that their main rivals FC Barcelona are also rebuilding their stadium.

2 Likes

Looks like they were inspired by the square hole from Cowboys stadium.

Don’t copy South stands, $uites need to all the way around. $$

Hard disagree on this. Need a crowd, not empty donor suites and club seats.

4 Likes

Thanks for the pic find.

So far it looks as though they are just disassembling the upper EZ seating and scoreboard.

Will they keep artificial turf or go for grass?

1 Like

Don’t remember seeing anything regarding the field. Just the upper endzone seating and player facilities.

The Baylor canopy doesn’t give much shade unless you are in the top 5 -10 rows of the upper decks

4 Likes

Our stadium will bring in more revenues. The demand is with premium seating so adding there makes sense. Having a total capacity 45-50 K is great for our future but doesn’t need to happen . Immediately.
What needs to happen in the next phase is to build the press boxes over the north stands and build out more suites on the south. Then renovate the entire upper deck and lower concourse to better serve the 300s and maximize our space much more efficiently so we can get our fans back to their seats for the 3rd qt.

3 Likes

Our suites are not empty and they fund the program.

6 Likes

Club seats are empty many times but only because people are in the club. Also helps fund the program.

3 Likes

I would like to know what we expect to have next season. I assume the new scoreboard will be in place? Will we have the west EZ seating ready for use?

100% different. Regarding our stadium having a roof or canopy it is not going to happen. We all have to remember the total cost of TDECU. Then it was an extremely cheap built. I know DLR and Manhattan and this was one of the very best stadium built for the money invested. Keep in mind what this upgrade is going to coast
the cost is almost the same as our stadium cost or even more. For the money we got what we got. What matters is that we make it a fortress. I would like to see the entire inside of our stadium painted red and white. Our UH logo should be in our seats. But all of these upgrade cost money.

Cannot do much about the humidity, but . . . . . game time is very important to the comfort of fans. For years now, we (our group and surrounding fans) have sat in direct sunlight from 11 AM thru 5 PM on Saturday game day. Hopefully, being in a P4 conference will earn us better game times and the direct sunlight will not be as detrimental to fans . . . . .