TDECU Stadium Renovations & Expansions

They can always build a shell over the stadium. You build columns just outside the exterior and overhang the canopy,

Not to different than what they did in Real Madrid

2 Likes

Wonder if they could have turned the stadium sideways then only the end zone would have been affected? I’m sure someone thought about this but the footprint may not have allowed it, parking garage etc?

No can’t do unless you spend more for what we paid for our stadium. I doubt this was even considered after the earlier renderings. We got a jewel for what we paid for it.

1 Like

Our stadium has not even sold out for any season since we opened in 2014.
Any talk of seating expansion needs to be put back on the shelf and I would rather invest in more suites or more improvements for the concessions and restrooms.

10 Likes

wasnt the Rob turned the other direction? it was parallel with Scott and Cullen whereas TDECU has the end zones towards Scott and Cullen

The Rob was oriented north and south, TDECU is oriented east west. At noon both sides of The Rob would be in direct sunlight. In TDECU at noon only the north side is in direct sunlight.

2 Likes

Well, if this renovation is due soon, then somebody better get their butts in gear and start doing something.

I’m pretty sure they did studies pertaining to which way the stadium should be aligned . It was in an article I read so I’m sure it’s on the innerweb
somewhere

Just need to win to fill it and make it look good on TV. I will see if Fritz can do it.

1 Like

Already started and due to be finished I believe for the 2025 season.

Given Houston’s latitude, it doesn’t make too big of a difference in the middle of the day. Sun is basically right over us. Orientation would make more of a difference during late games when the sun is setting.

1 Like

If the new scoreboard is elevated more, it could provide shade to the lower level of the north side a little earlier.

4 Likes

Hope it doesn’t look weird. :thinking:

Very true. I have found myself counting the minutes at sunny games early in the season, waiting for the shade to arrive. :joy:

4 Likes

where are we playing our games next year? I didnt even think about the fact that construction would be going on

in TDECU

Vandy still played in their stadium during construction this past season. As did smu. Tech has done so in the past too.

West end zone seating options will be a bit different this year.

24 Likes

From the article:
“This focus on creating special seating will cause TDECU Stadium to lose about 250 to 300 off its current 40,000 overall seating capacity. But there are ways to get around that for potential sellout-plus-type scenarios.”

After watching tons of college games on tv, I have noticed a large decline in attendance for most teams. Only a handful of teams like Bama, UT, Michigan, LSU etc. have constantly filled their stadiums. And I have actually seen a few of those teams have noticed a few of their games (I never watch UT games so I can’t comment on them) have noticeable empty seats. We can’t compare our fan following to those of most of he teams that have those large stadiums no matter how much we would like to.

With prices climbing higher and higher, and virtually all P5 games games on TV when ESPN+ is included, I can see more and more empty seats in those large stadiums. I am not worried about our stadium size and until there is a demonstrated need, I don’t think we need to add anymore seats this time. As far as the loss of revenue from a 200-300 reduction in seats, the new suites will bring in much more money.

5 Likes

5 Likes