Tech, Baylor, and TCU tried to keep us out

Fertitta had to use his political muscle to get us in. I’ve always known we were a threat but I had no idea they were willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

14 Likes

They went down this road once before and watched us dominate. They did not want a repeat. But there was no keeping the 2nd largest public university out this time. Not by two private schools and the Tech-Tards.

11 Likes

We’re lucky we’re in now bc of how much it would suck to be Memphis which could have been us.

9 Likes

IF the divisions go like speculated below - Tech, Baylor, and TCU will wish they had kept us out. With OSU and UCF = That is a grind.

" WHAT MAKES THE MOST SENSE FOR NEW BIG 12 FOOTBALL DIVISIONS? AND WILL THE CONFERENCE HAVE SET CROSS-DIVISION RIVALRIES? IF SO, WHO PLAYS WHO?

Duke: It’s either going to be a north/south or east/west division split. I would lean more toward a north/south split because it would even up the teams a little more than doing east/west. All the Texas schools (Houston, Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech) would join up with Oklahoma State and UCF for the south division while BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, and West Virginia make up the north".

It just doesn’t make sense especially when they were shown the viewership and revenue impact the conference was going to suffer with OU’s and UT’s departure. They stand to lose more in money and recruiting by NOT having us in there. Houston was the no brainer out of the four schools to deliver you a part of that massive market.

2 Likes

I remember hearing Yeoman speak at a pep rally, I think it was 1978, and he said, “Nobody is happy to have us in this conference (SWC).” It’s always been true and always will be true. All these good 'ol boy schools are culturally incapable of treating us as equals, so we just have to do our thing and equal things out on the field.

19 Likes

I’ll vote for dan Patrick bc of this alone. We were so close to being really screwed again which is why I’m happy being in the big 12 now and will enjoy it vs worrying about a pac 12 invite which may never happen.

20 Likes

That’s a very interesting synopsis of how it all went down. I’ll have to
go with it as fact without any other info. Grateful we had Renu and especially
Tillman working this on a Holiday weekend. And Lt gov Patrick for getting involved
too. Amazing, after all the school had done in athletics and athletic investment that
it had to come down to who you know and Texas politics again. There is a lot of hate and
or fear from out instate rivals. Amazing story.

13 Likes

It could be yrs before the big12 expands so let’s be happy we’re not in the shoes of Memphis and stuck in the aac with rice, etc.

It’s big 12 invite is a game changer for us thst barely happened.

6 Likes

Yeah the author did say they verified with four different sources so it must be mostly factual. I’ve never been a big fan of Dan Patrick as he was the biggest opponent of (then) Enron Field being built, but he certainly was an ally on this one.

2 Likes

Of course they all tried to keep us out. LONG LIVE FERTITTA!!!

15 Likes

There’s a part of me that wants to get an invite to the PAC or B1G just so we can leap frog these clowns into a better situation and leave them holding the bag.

17 Likes

Thank You Ryan Monceaux…great article.
I cannot wait to play these guys.
We…are not worthy…
My A**……

Sure. It may take us a year to get bigger, etc. But we are gonna give them the dog fight whipping they so richly deserve…

6 Likes

…and yet still there are many here who are so happy to be in a conference with our beloved in-state rivals.

2 Likes

I don’t like Patrick at all going back to his days on Houston TV however with this news and I have heard rumors about this that he really pulled for us to get in it so you’ll have my vote even though I disagree with most of his politics

5 Likes

Those of you that want to kumbaya and be the better man all the time should learn from this. Everyone hates you because you are a Coog. If you haven’t learned that yet then you’ll never learn it.

This is why I don’t care one wit whether Cincy lives or dies in the playoffs or not. Trust me when I tell you they couldn’t care less if it were your school in the same situation.

Fickell to ND!!! Screw Cincy! Screw Baylor! Screw Tech. Screw TCU! And screw the ones that haven’t learned to hate us yet.

24 Likes

Tillman really flexed his muscles and power and scared TCU, Baylor, & Tech into inviting us.

That’s funny, we literally did what Baylor did to us back in the 90’s.

Thank you Tillman

21 Likes

We haven’t even started getting even with Baylor.

11 Likes

We don’t like them and they don’t like us Baylor we beat them in our very first southwest conference game in Waco/Baylor and they still remember that, I sure love to beat the Bears!

3 Likes

I agree with you if the pac invites us or we have a chance to re ask them. I’m just going to enjoy the big12 bc it was tough to get in but I agree they are wussies trying to keep us out when we wouldn’t do that to them. We helped rice , smu and tcu get into the Cusa etc when they needed our help for ex. We’re not scared wussies like they are.

4 Likes