Tech, Baylor, and TCU tried to keep us out

Thanks, Ive never even heard of this before! It’s surprising to me
such a thing even exists.

TEGs
http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=534

https://reportcenter.highered.texas.gov/agency-publication/guidelines-manuals/teg-fy-2021-guidelines/

Great read, thanks so much!

Did you vote for Ann Richards and Bob Bullock

Lots of ways. Back in the 80s, Democrats controlled both houses and the comptroller. LT gov bill hobby (yes that hobby family), speaker billy Clayton (the road that goes from 59 to Bush is named after him), and bullock. They could leverage appropriations, committee assignments, and even D party support for house members and senators who were alums or represented FW or Waco. It was machine politics in its purest form. Fascinating and ugly. I worked in the redistricting office and saw it up close. (Quick aside: not being political - the Rs work the same way).

8 Likes

My favorite Bob Bullock story from Texas Monthly:
His fundraisers were mob scenes. If you didn’t go, you got somebody to pick up your name tag, because he would have an aide gather up the unused ones so he could see who didn’t come, and he’d call you the next day. One trade association sent him a $1,000 contribution, and he sent it back with a letter that said, “Here’s your check back, and I’m sending you a $500 check from myself. I didn’t know your association was in such bad shape. I hope this $500 will help you.” Boy, they came back with a $10,000 check right quick. That was just the way he did it.

3 Likes
  1. Anyone and I mean anyone not understanding that these three named in the article, the great satan and atm trying to keep us down has not FAILED UH HISTORY 101
  2. I can tell you first hand that Dan Patrick has been on our side since the early 80’s or since he moved from Maryland I believe.
  3. This shows you, shows everyone that no one in the BIG12 can be trusted. I am writing it again if the PAC12 invite us it is a no brainer. especially with Lincoln riley.
  4. You can also be sure that one or more of the current team will “bolt” to another Power Conference the first chance they get.
  5. Some of you think the great satan and atm are the only ones that want us down. This has always been about recruiting. Who benefits from getting Houston area players.
12 Likes

Be careful. Uhlaw97 will come from the top rope to shoot down any UH to PAC12 talk :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

This is why if the Pac 12 invites us we need to accept yesterday.

5 Likes

:+1: and

I think he is going to come onboard this time or maybe not.

1 Like

Actually, he’ll come in with a steel chair…AND a Hacksaw Duggan 2x4…and then do the Kamala belly flop!

4 Likes

I’m only 27, i only know 1 of these references!

But I’m sure the other 2 were hilarious back in the day :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I could see Patrick helping out if asked to do so. I talked at length with him one day at an Astros benefit gala that I got tickets to. He was telling me about how politicians would threaten him when he started his radio business. I asked him what his favorite Houston sports memories were and he said hanging out with Pastorini and going duck hunting with Bum Phillips.

I also asked him if being s sports reporter in a major city really makes you a fan of those teams or is it just a job. His answer, paraphrasing: “no doubt…all those teams in the city, pro and college and even high school have fans that remember you from the times their team is doing well. Honestly that’s where I made most of the friends I have now. People come up and repeat your broadcast from 40 years ago. I sure didn’t make many friends in broadcasting.”

1 Like

I guess this jives with what the Memphis president was saying after the decision was made to exclude Memphis. He was basically whining about how Houston got in because of politics. At the time I thought it was just sour grapes but it looks like there may be some truth to it.

1 Like

Politics kept us out the first time and got us in this time.

Poetic Justice!

15 Likes

If accurate about Dan Patrick from this report, we do owe him. I no longer live in Texas so can’t go around handing out a vote, but I will reduce my s*** talking of him by 30% for the next 6 months to a year. I’d say more but I can’t really make that promise.

11 Likes

I’ve lived most of my life in the midwest, B1G territory. I’ll admit, when I first went down to Houston to go to school, I was amazed at the animosity between the schools. Almost a scorched earth policy. It did not take long to see why the feelings did and still exist.

I can’t speak to other parts of the country, but the B1G feels that if one succeeds, athletically or academically, they all prosper. That feeling has never prevailed in Texas. I will admit, I feel the same ways about the other SWC schools that most of you do, screw’em and let’em rot. They’ll never help us as a conference mate, so beat the crap out of them every way we can on the field and in the classroom.

13 Likes

Money and more money and the continuation of said money.

But with a touch of bravado, and unlike the other three Big 12 aspirants, the letter included a clause stating that UH’s request to join was only good for two weeks. Khator wanted to ensure that the Big 12 did not drag its feet and UH did not want to appear subservient into the league. Houston used the whispers about their Pac-12 discussions to their advantage, even as they knew the league was not close to following through on expansion.

I want us to destroy and make Tortilla Toad Rats uncomfortable Everytime they are here. I can’t wait for UH to charge them 40 dollars for parking and they fill it.

3 Likes

Fred’s analysis of the Big Ten area is right on. I grew up in central Michigan, (I was at the 1967 Michigan State-UH game, where Houston won 37-7). The Big Ten schools supported each other athletically and academically.

So, the climate of Texas and the SWC was a surprise when I came to Houston and became a student at UH. But it is, what it is. I look forward to UH defeating every school in the Big 12, in every sport, especially the schools from Texas. You can only put up with their pompous attitudes, for only so long.

3 Likes

I can second this. BIG supports BIG.

The SEC is very similar in this regard. I live in the heart of SEC country and everyone around here has a Three Musketeers, “All for One and One for All” attitude. It is not a surprise that the BIG and SEC are the two powerhouses of college football and college sports overall.

It will be very interesting to see if this continues now that UTee is in the SEC.

5 Likes