Tech Game moved to NRG

So from a quick Google, I saw we got 1.7 million to move the Washington St game. The consensus was we probably shouldn’t have moved it. I guess the increase made us do it again?

It seems the Texas Kickoff has the most to gain. Its a cheap way to get teams committed. They only gave WSU 100k because they were coming to Houston anyway for a road game. Probably do the same for Tech. Cheaper to suck off UH’s schedule than pay two schools for a neutral game.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/droy/status/1296529092100141063?s=21

4 Likes

Hmmmm…Air conditioning!

10 Likes

Wasn’t the last UH-Tech home game an early September game at noon or 11:00 AM? It was so hot, seemed like most of the game 1/3 of the crowd was hanging out under the stadium seating hoping to avoid heat exhaustion.

2 Likes

Yes 11am very hot

2 Likes

2.4 mil is worth it since then the weather won’t be an excuse. I think we only get 4.5 mil a yr in ticket sales so this makes up ground. I know we get $ from parking and concessions at TDECU but this is way more than we’d make for 1 home game if we didn’t do this so , they couldn’t pass it up.

2 Likes

I just don’t want my season tickets on the 50 in TDECU convert to an endzone seat in NRG

7 Likes

My sentiments exactly. We got screwed on both the OU and WSU game.

UH needs to get that fixed !!

4 Likes

If the deal is set up the same way as before, we will also be responsible for buying close to a million in tickets. Since those will be season ticket holders we are really only getting $1.4 million extra. I think we also got 25% of additional tickets sold through UH, which wasn’t many for WSU. You would need to compare that to any extra tickets sold at TDECU and concessions/parking profits. Should still be a profit, but not over a million. So the deal is trading home field advantage away for air conditioning, national tv guarantee, and maybe half a million dollars.

4 Likes

Those with a much better handle of the true numbers must think it’s a good deal or they wouldn’t have agreed. We are going to have to explore every plan out there income wise. Wish it were otherwise, but the need for dollars really dictate our moves going forward.

1 Like

Correct. That’s the play. We can guarantee it’s in our season ticket package. Was this year’s TT/Ole Miss game going to be in either school’s season ticket package? It gives us extra money and we have to pay $4MM for the head coach. Need to win the game!

I dont care for the decision but no one asked me.

3 Likes

A heavily promoted national TV game at NRG is probably worth another $1 million or more in national publicity! You have to love it! I would hope that UH would be selected to play in a national kick-off classic game every other year at NRG stadium.

Hey I remember years ago when Louisville made the decision to accommodate the TV folks for more national broadcast games whether it be on a Wednesday night or Thursday night or whenever else possible and that is how they got the national publicity needed to earn an invite into a P5 league.

So show up … be loud … wear red … and Go Coogs!

4 Likes

This stinks but I understand we need the money.

3 Likes

All UH season ticket holders should be between the 20 yard lines on the UH side. Don’t care if lower or upper deck. Hell, the place allegedly holds 70K…we got about 10 to 12 K season ticket holders.

Since the KO classic wans so sell the prime seats, they are always sold to corporations who give the tickets away and those people show in small numbers !!..unless it is a big name team…TT ain’t big time !!

4 Likes

Just curious, who was included in the consensus? I am not being snarky or saying we should or shouldn’t have, just wondering where your info came from.

I also agree with EE, I think we should get seats similar to what we have at TDECU.

It’s not a home game. We aren’t getting the good seats.

Then who the hell is the “home “ team that gets the good seats ?

And, if it is in our season ticket package we are then forced to buy the seat for the game !!

The OU game in NRG really sucked to kick off the season

1 Like

Well, the season ended up sucking primarily because Herman sucked, but the OU and Louisville games were nice !!

3 Likes