Tech Game moved to NRG

The OU game was one of if not the loudest and funnest game I’ve been to and I’ve been to quite a few games over the years. but the Wazzu game was terrible it wasn’t much of a home field advantage for us and on top of that I accidentally bought tickets on the Wazzu side around the 25 yard line. But the money will be worth it and to play indoors during September is always a plus. Does anyone know if this will be a Saturday morning game or another Friday night 8:00 kick game?

2 Likes

Law, you really have to work on your sarcasm recognition.

Every extra $ of revenue is critical at this point.

https://twitter.com/bypatforde/status/1296856212512935948?s=21

1 Like

Why didn’t we build a small dome if playing indoors is coveted all of a sudden?

For the same reason that you didn’t contribute $500 million to UH to build a domed stadium!

4 Likes

Louisville game was loudest I can remember, even louder than the OU game

3 Likes

Most games should be on campus, but an occasional big game with a big payout at TDECU is fine.

2 Likes

The OU game was great but the circumstances were about as good as you could hope for leading into the game and from the actual game itself.

In any event, the game also would have been just as great to go to at TDECU at night, maybe even better. The daytime ABC window was great for national exposure, though.

A lot of our best home games at TDECU/the Rob wouldn’t have been anywhere close to as good at NRG (Ok State 2006, Southern Miss 2006, Tech 2009, Memphis 2015, Navy 2015, Louisville 2016, etc).

I understand why we’re doing it, but if this would have been a night game it’s a loss from the perspective of the fans and potentially having a competitive advantage.

2 Likes

I think there would have been a better chance of winning against WSU last year at TDECU. As close as that game was, it could have been the difference.

4 Likes

It is in early September. Not so much in October and November

1 Like

Unless it’s UT, A&M, etc then no reason to involve NRG honestly. Makes you wonder if Big 12 secretly has someone willing to throw a dollar in the pot to keep UH from ever experiencing old SWC success on campus. We give up our advantage to help them.
That’s Rice lol and they have 60k seats

1 Like

Yes, but only 10K that are “splinter free” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, Rice’s new configuration has only 47K…and yeah, I’m guessing only 10K are “splinter free.”

1 Like

The crowd next year at NRG will depend on how good we do this year. If we light it up then it should be close to the OU game.

1 Like

Yeah that was a loud game

It saves my old ass from a potential heat stroke at an 11am September kickoff. I am all for it.

3 Likes

It won’t be close to the OU game…but it will be respectable if we light up this season

1 Like

Right. We were coming off a Peach Bowl win and OU was coming off a playoff appearance and is also a historical top 5 program.

That really was lightning in a bottle.

4 Likes

Here is the rub… the goal is to get us on TV for publicity, a game at night, and have as many people there as possible. I think we all want these facts. In September, we are likely going to get slotted as an afternoon or early game due to other conferences having priority on ESPN and their family of stations. September games at the 11 AM slot are brutal on the hard core fans and likely lead to less students in attendance. So knowing you have this problem and that is likely where we would be slotted, you look to either move us inside to NRG or to a weeknight game. People are going to complain about both, but both actually improve the fan experience.

So the takeaway is that we really don’t have a lot control over our schedule if we want be on ABC early in the year. Unless you want to be a lobster and bake in the sun, you make these types of moves. We also make money in the process, develop more goodwill with NRG, and possibly more goodwill with Tech who actually plays us from time to time. If you always knew the answer to get on TV during September was a 11 AM game, you would be solving for the same thing that Pezman is doing and that means moving sites or different days. Pretty simple.

5 Likes

OU was in the playoffs that year and we probably kept Louisville out with our win here. Thanks to Herman the rest of the season was not so good

3 Likes