Tell us nba how you really feel about the Uyghurs

Really wasn’t to you on the media just throwing it in on the response. But still the CCP have long since figured Americans out. As long as there are massive profits to made with the lack of principles in our current version of capitalism and the companies will fall in line.

And as long as the forced labor is boring on camera the media probably won’t prioritize coverage of it. It’s gotta bleed to engage the average American media consumer.

Don’t trust China. China is asshoe…

1 Like

Boycotting an Olympics just hurts American athletes and American companies. Banning Americans from doing business in China just hurts the American people. I’ve made money from China before, does that make me a terrible person? Stop trying to force big authoritarian government on us.

Its not the NBA’s job to fix world problems or even have good opinions on them. At least the NBA brings Chinese money into the US and benefits our country. Better targets would be the huge corporations like Wal Mart or most apparel companies. If you want to cherry pick one, that is up to you. Feel free to boycott (or cancel) them if you want. That is the great thing about America. If their comments offend you that much, then go on a cancel culture tour against the NBA and the Olympics.

I’ve seen this story covered by lots of media outlets. Can’t blame the media if you’re not paying attention.

Here’s a full one-hour documentary by Frontline–it’s very good and startling:

China Undercover | Watch S2020 E18 | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site

Some people only fake rage about stories fed them by their media masters. How about the slave labor they are using to build the stadiums for the World Cup? No outrage about that? Lots of examples. If you are truly a champion of those causes and not just parroting what you hear from your media masters.

Gang,

In retrospect, I don’t think that boycotting the 1980 Olympics made all that much sense, and I don’t recommend it here.

In most sports, those athletes literally only have ONE shot to compete in the Olympics, and boycotting would deprive them of that. In short, it’s simply not fair to the athletes who have worked hard and will now be deprived of their opportunity to shine.

If we could go to Berlin and compete in 1936 in order to represent the free world on fields of friendly strife against tyrannical regimes like the Nazis…then we can sure as Hell go to China and do the same.

That should make the Uygurs feel better about being raped, sterlized and made into slaves. Hey our athletes only have one shot at glory, suck it up! lol.

I’m sure that not boycotting the 1936 “Nazi” Olympics in Berlin bothered a lot of people as well.

In the end though…Jesse Owens was fortunate to have the opportunity to compete…and SHATTER Nazi racism.

Let’s hope that our nation’s best go to China and demonstrate to them why our system is better.

The USA didn’t know about the atrocities/holocaust in 1936. Your point in invalid.

Except that it isn’t because the Nazis had already started taking actions against Jews prior to 1936, in particular, the anti-Jewish laws that were passed in 1933 and 1935.

We knew about them, and there were calls to boycott at that time, just as there are today.

We simply took the course of action that I recommend instead.

So I get that math in 1936 Nazi racial ideas vs. our less bad racial ideas. But I’m not sure it applies here I mean there’s no grand ethnic philosophy. This doesn’t seem to have the same link to make that work. But I’ll also say logic doesn’t really apply to the human perception sometimes and maybe for some an athlete betraying about athlete will have bigger ideas in their mind

It’s capitalism vs. communism.

Party Dictatorship vs. democracy.

Freedom vs. oppression.

You do the math!

The average Joe in the USA in 1936 didn’t know about the final solution. And the concentration camps. Which started in 1941. Your post is fail.

But if you’ll click on the Holocaust museum article that I posted, you’ll see that the POWERS THAT BE…VERY MUCH KNEW about Germany’s anti-Jewish laws, and there was a far stronger movement to boycott those Olympic games than there is for ours today.

Nevertheless, we went and competed, and were better off for it.

The same should be true today.

My argument remains valid…and persuasive.

1 Like

Consider this:

Quote: Both the US ambassador to Germany, William E. Dodd, and George Messersmith, head of the US Legation in Vienna, deplored the American Olympic Committee’s decision to go to Berlin.

Quote: Judge Jeremiah Mahoney, president of the Amateur Athletic Union, led efforts to boycott the 1936 Olympics. He pointed out that Germany had broken Olympic rules forbidding discrimination based on race and religion. In his view, participation would indicate an endorsement of Hitler’s Reich.

Mahoney was one of a number of Catholic leaders supporting a boycott. New York mayor Fiorello La Guardia, New York governor Al Smith, and Massachusetts governor James Curley also opposed sending a team to Berlin.

Those are all FAR BIGGER NAMES than anyone proposing a boycott to these games.

1 Like

I mean that’s the marketing after someone wins. But none of those big ideas really have any much bearing on the individual athlete’s performance, training or these days selection I mean it’s not like Xi’s kids are go are going to be speed skating or were sending a squad full of dissenters either.

So I just don’t see it outside of Rocky IV esqe marketing.

Maybe not upon the individual performers, but it certainly has bearing on how we cheer for and support our nation’s teams and competitors.

Consider the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

Remember how wonderful it was that our hockey team of college players beat what was, for all intents and purposes, a PROFESSIONAL Soviet team that had routed the NHL all-stars in an exhibition and which hadn’t lost in international competition in about two decades.

That upset was all that much sweeter precisely because it was politically charged due to the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan and Cold War tensions that had just escalated again.

We should bring the same level of fan support to these games for the reasons I mentioned…and oppose any boycott on that basis.

Politics is a GREAT motivator…especially for the fans!

1 Like

Are you seriously applying what we know about the nazis today to people in 1936? What did you think people in 1936 read about nazis on Twitter or Facebook?

No, I’m saying that we already knew plenty about Nazi anti-Semitism and already knew plenty about what the Nazis were about long before the Holocaust, based on the examples that I provided.

That provided more than enough to reason to boycott.

Indeed, there was more of a push to boycott those games than the games today, and it was BECAUSE of the Nazi regime and its racism/anti-Semitism.

Nevertheless, we thought better of it, and competed, and were better off for it.

We should apply similar reasoning today when it comes to deciding whether or not to compete against an oppressive dictatorship that persecutes various groups.

In those days, it was Nazis and the Jews.

Today, it’s the CCP and the Uyghurs.

Same reasoning applies.

Same decision should be made:

COMPETE…and establish the SUPERIORITY …of OUR ways!

Here’s a good video on the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

This is why the decision NOT to boycott was the CORRECT one.

And likewise should be today.

Enjoy!!!