Tell us nba how you really feel about the Uyghurs

I agree, it only hurts our athletes, who have trained all their lives for this moment and depending on age, it may be their last shot.

If we really want to punish China then there are many other ways we can do it, that would be more effective, than not showing up for a athletic competition.

We’ll show up.

Just as we did in Berlin in 1936.

1 Like

Did you know that the US didn’t even want to enter the war? Because we didn’t know about the holocaust. Or how brutal the Nazis were at the time. Yet you would have us believe that we knew it for the Olympics? Does that even make sense?

Start by not buying made in China products. Oh! Can’t do that just about everything is made in China, some made with Uyghur forced labor.

After Pearl Harbor there was no significant opposition to the war. See Congress’ vote on the matter for more info.

As for 1936, there was indeed far stronger opposition to US participation in that Olympics than there is to participating in this one today.

But we ignored that and went anyway.

And we are better off for it.

Same will be true today.

As for WWII prior to Pearl Harbor, we were neutral in name only.

We had already started selling vessels and war stuffs to the British and Free French under the lend-lease act.

Moreover, we had already established the first ever peacetime draft in January 1940 and begun swelling the size of our armed forces in anticipation of eventually entering the war.

Those are the historical facts Bro!

Lol what’s next? You want us to believe 1936 Americans wanted a black guy to show those nazis that the us was superior? 1936 America didn’t give a rats ass about German anti Semitism because they were too.

The sources I posted suggest otherwise.

That’s why a boycott was such a hot topic at the time: because so many Americans WERE horrified by Nazism.

Nobody of importance has suggested that we’re going to boycott the Olympics.

We, and some other countries, are enforcing a diplomatic boycott. We’re not sending some high-level politicians or diplomats to the Olympics or ceremonies or whatever it is the diplomats normally do. It won’t affect the athletes in the least.

China is Enron. Its a corrupt totalitarian regime who lies about 
 well just about everything but certainly about their economic data.

For those who criticize the United States, bravo that is what makes America great. Freedom of speech is a pretty cool thing. We don’t all have to agree

Now if you really think America sucks, try it somewhere else, I double dog dare you. If you criticize the ruling communist party in China you will be put in prison.

3 Likes

Busy day but quickly:
The IOC, one if not the most corrupt sports entity should have never awarded the Winter Olympics to the chinese dictatorship. The IOC knew and has known about the chinese dictatorship atrocities for decades. This is is nothing new.
We read today that no outside spectators will be allowed. Officially for fear of covid. Fine then what about relocating the Olympics to another host country?
The pandemic did not start yesterday.
The IOC came out “swinging” today saying athletes are prohibited to speak about human rights or they will be severely punished. Why do you think the IOC said that?
Where was the IOC when our own athletes protested on the podium?
Not only did we know about the nazis were doing to the Jews but we turned a blind eye to it. This was one of our darkest hours no doubts. It did not start in 1941 it started as early as the mid 1920’s and even before.
You betcha I try to buy products that are not made in the chinese dictatorship. India makes great shoes. Nun Bush are very comfortable.

That’s in stark contrast to 1936 when several prominent figures campaigned for a boycott.

But we went. And it was the right choice, just as going today will be the right choice.

Show the world which system is better

on the Commies’ own turf!!!

The IOC and FIFA should never award a Worldwide competition to take place in an oppressive, dictatorship, bloody regime.
The soviets used the 80 Olympics for propaganda. We boycotted the Olympics. A few years later the Soviet block crashed and crumbled.
Should we award the Olympics to North Korea?
South Africa got the Rugby World Cup in 1995. They were no longer a segregationist country.
I mentioned it before the IOC and FIFA are to blame for awarding these competitions knowing full well that intentional genocide is taking place.

No argument there, though FIFA would like a work about who’s more corrupt. Problem for IOC is that it’s so corrupt and Olympics are such a waste of money there are very few serious bids going forward after 2032 from non crappy dictatorships. And 2032 Brisbane won without a challenger. On moving them there are very few places that can host Olympics on the fly and who want the Olympics. So expect a lot more of coddling of bad people/nations going forward. Because those are the countries who will pay the bribes and crack the whip on their populations/slave labor. China is just the biggest fish in that rank pond.

But as I said, the advantage to that is that the free world can now show the bad guys up on their own turf.

There’s no better advertisement for the free world and fomenting democratic revolution than that!

There’s nothing that I would like to see more than our great American athletes defeat the athletes of an enemy/competitor nation on enemy/competitor soil (like China). That is, from my perspective, the ultimate insult to that insult of a dictatorship. So I say
send 'em
and BEAT 'EM!!!

As for the 1980 boycott
given that the Soviet Union lasted almost a decade after that, and responded with a boycott of their own that somewhat cheapened our own 1984 Olympics
I’m not sure how much of a success that boycott was. Didn’t get the Rooskies out of Afghanistan either. Little benefit from my perspective, and robbed our best of the opportunity to shine on enemy soil.

This sounds like wishful thinking way more than anything actually backing that up. I mean it didn’t change anything in 1936 there was still that kerfuffle that followed it up, I mean there’s zero evidence that anything in the Olympics really helped bring about the fall of the Soviets. At least no more than the many other factors that brought it down.

I think the diplomatic boycott has about same effect as a total boycott would have. Just an embarrassing thing for China, which they do not take lightly. But then as you pointed out then we lose the marketing opportunity.

If nothing else though, the 1936 Olympics helped shatter the whole Nazi “Aryan Supremacy” nonsense.

Well, that
AND Joe Louis crushing Max Schmeling in 1938!

Well yes, but that’s not really the same thing at all as formenting domestic revolution.

Joe and Max became the best of friends after those fights. Politics created the narrative about the supremacy each nations system being superior summed up in that fight where Joe cracked Schmeling ribs in the early rounds of that fight and literally destroyed Schmeling. My opinion on the IOC they are very corrupt organization, (bribes and all) been one for a long time. Look how they try to help China finesse the situation concerning Chinese tennis star Peng Shui who said she was allegedly raped by a Chinese Vice Premier, the guy who worked with the IOC to bring about and organize the 2008 Games in China.

So for those of us keeping score on corruption we
have:

WHO
IOC
FIFA
NCAA
all Media, worldwide, save maybe the thing in the hen house
all Elections in every state
All BLUE in DC

What have I overlooked ?

Edit - ESPN,UT-Austin, Michigan, Michigan State, Catholic Church, etc

I’d chime in it was as much fifty years of 5 Year Plans that just made up numbers to appease the party of progress.