Texans fire HC Lovie Smith

Yep, they were going to hire McCown, a man with high school coaching experience. He still doesn’t have NFL coaching experience. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

Lovie Smith is the farthest thing from an a-hole.

Not coincidentally, you’re a lot closer than most.

6 Likes

I concur! Lovie was simply a placeholder until Nick Caserio finds a real head coach that he likes! Just like David Culley was! Or at least until the Texans have accumulated enough good players to be competitive.

Okay, Mrs. Lovie Smith! Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you by making a negative comment about your husband!

Oooh. You got me there.

I’d add, Lovie is an honest person. He was hired to win games. I don’t think it’s in his character to throw a game.

Second, a lot of these guys playing aren’t superstars. They’re playing to win roster spots on this (or other teams) next year. I suspect that Lovie wouldn’t submarine these guys’ career hopes just to further his own career or the hopes of the Texans’ myopic fans.

You could learn a thing or twenty from someone like Lovie. I wish he wouldn’t have taken the job because now he’s got the stain of a poor organization on him.

6 Likes

This is comical. The Texans can’t hire a “real head coach” because they’re not a real NFL franchise. If they had those options, their top choice for head coach wouldn’t have been their practice squad QB.

3 Likes

This is getting ridiculous over on Kirby…

I’ve been a pretty hardcore fan of the Texans since year 1…

But serious apathy has set in over the past 2 seasons… Living out of state has probably accelerated that but the lack of direction at HC and QB definitely hasn’t helped.

TexCants don’t deserve the #1 pick… they would absolutely screw it up.

You aren’t alone I had season tickets through 2019 and I doubt I have watched 10 games since I let my tickets go. The apathy is as low as ever with the team now. This year in pre season they said the Astros ratings were just as good as Texans pre season games and in the first 10yrs of the team they used to double the number the Astros pull on tv. This city will never support a loser its always been that way.

Man, Houston has supported that loser franchise for a long time. In over 20 years, only O’Brien generated a career winning record.

They’ve never won a road playoff game, never made it to a conference championship game, and can’t even see a Super Bowl from where they are today.

People can’t even get behind them as “lovable losers” because they’ve turned into such an embarrassment.

3 Likes

Dwindling attendance didn’t help either.

Lovie did win fewer games than David Culley…that is pretty hard to do.

I’m thinking Lovie already knew he was fired after the game. Going for the win was a middle finger out the door.

5 Likes

I think so as well.

Hey I would not put Drayton in the same category as McNair. Drayton put a winning product on the field for ten plus years. We also made a WS. Drayton’s problem was that he became Jerry Jones, trying to be the GM.

McNair can’t even spell GM, let alone act as one.

This morning Seth Payne said tanking a game is on the GM. If you want to lose, you sit key guys, or do like Chicago and start a bad QB. Once the players and coach take the field they’ll try to win.

2 Likes

Oh the Bears will trade back. You know why? The Bears have actual competent people in place to run their team.

Ryan Poles is their GM and soon Kevin Warren, the current BIG Commissioner, is on deck to be the new EVP.

Finally, the Bears (finally) drafted a QB. Good thing the Jets pulled a Jets and drafted Wilson at #2. :joy::rofl:

Expect the Bears to trade the number one pick to a team that needs a QB (like the Texans, Jets Or Saints) for a lot of draft picks.

2 Likes

It won’t be the Texans…

1 Like

Is Bryce Young by far the best pick at #1 if you need a QB?

You thk the current Bears QB is the answer for them. Who consistently throws for like 100 yds or less, so they just run, run bc they have ZERO confidence in him to pass.
Iirc Mr Fields barely threw for 100 yds against the Texans vaulted Secondary in 2022.
Ohh n they get the #1 pick. Not going anywhere w Strawberry Fields. Imo of course.